Gender Issues

By Age Six...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#1New Post! Jan 30, 2017 @ 13:02:46
... girls no longer think they are as smart as boys.

Quote:
Among 5-year-old girls, the “really, really smart” person was more likely to be a female image. But among the 6-year-olds, something had changed. From the Atlantic:

Quote:
Among the 5-year-olds, both boys and girls associated brilliance with their own gender. But among those aged 6 or 7, only the boys still held to that view. At an age when girls tend to outperform boys at school, and when children in general show large positive biases towards their own in-groups, the girls became less likely than boys to attribute brilliance to their own gender.

Quote:
The idea of male brilliance is especially pernicious because it’s demonstrably wrong. Girls often do better in school than boys, and are more likely to finish college.

Quote:
Researchers tend to think the bias begins at home. Cimpian cites an informal experiment conducted by an economist for the New York Times in 2014, which used anonymous Google search data to find that parents were more likely to research whether their sons were geniuses than their daughters. (For the record, parents of girls tended to investigate whether their offspring were overweight or ugly. Great.)

Just... stunning. And heartbreaking.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#2New Post! Jan 30, 2017 @ 13:26:05
@LuckyCharms Said

... girls no longer think they are as smart as boys.

Just... stunning. And heartbreaking.

Social behavior

Social behavior is behavior among two or more organisms, typically from the same species.

If I understand correctly the study (which I did not read but you summarized nicely thank you) asserts a societal norm inconsistent with what you believe should be.

There is that which is.

There is that which you believe should be.

Assertions (by definition - at least by my definition) are true.

So we are assuming the results of the study are correct.

First Question: why do you think this Zeitgeist is the way that it is (i.e., how did it evolve)? Just curious....

Second question: how do you think it should be?

I have little or no interest in the subject but I enjoy trying to communicate with you. You teach me. Thanks.

I do not like rudeness; especially from people who are good at it.

Political Forum some rudeness allowed.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Jan 30, 2017 @ 17:20:35
Seems a few commentors on the article had a different experience growing up - as did I.

I thought all this PC crap being shoved down our throats was supposed to fix all that.

Who is it - the Gen-Xers that are now raising kids?
Boomers are about over the hill, and Millenials are just getting started.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Jan 30, 2017 @ 18:20:16
when I was a little kid, I was 6 years old, most little girls like me.

tell them, " kiss me, you fool! " the little girls just laughed in my face. then they tell me, " yes, I would be fool to kiss you! " and then I said to her. " so, is that a " yes?? ".

I think little girls are smarter than little boys, little boys are not interesting little girls. little girls are interesting little boys. but I am not one that little girls were interest in.

so the little girls like being with me, like little boys like me. I was one crazy dude back then. ( twilite, you was a crazy dude back then, mom and daddy paid them to play with you. you were a ugly kid back then. mom and daddy had to put a chain of oscsar sausage around your neck for dolly , our dog to play with you. dolly really didn't like you. )

little girls are mature than little boys at any age.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#5New Post! Jan 30, 2017 @ 18:31:40
@twilitezone911 Said

when I was a little kid, I was 6 years old, most little girls like me.

tell them, " kiss me, you fool! " the little girls just laughed in my face. then they tell me, " yes, I would be fool to kiss you! " and then I said to her. " so, is that a " yes?? ".

I think little girls are smarter than little boys, little boys are not interesting little girls. little girls are interesting little boys. but I am not one that little girls were interest in.

so the little girls like being with me, like little boys like me. I was one crazy dude back then. ( twilite, you was a crazy dude back then, mom and daddy paid them to play with you. you were a ugly kid back then. mom and daddy had to put a chain of oscsar sausage around your neck for dolly , our dog to play with you. dolly really didn't like you. )

little girls are mature than little boys at any age.

Little girls tend to be smarter than I am. Well big ones too..
Magically Delicious

#6New Post! Jan 30, 2017 @ 21:27:32
@Erimitus Said

Social behavior

Social behavior is behavior among two or more organisms, typically from the same species.

If I understand correctly the study (which I did not read but you summarized nicely thank you) asserts a societal norm inconsistent with what you believe should be.

There is that which is.

There is that which you believe should be.

Correct. I don't believe that people should be taught that one gender is inherently more valuable than the other.

Quote:
Assertions (by definition - at least by my definition) are true.

So we are assuming the results of the study are correct.

First Question: why do you think this Zeitgeist is the way that it is (i.e., how did it evolve)? Just curious....

Abrahamic cults - at least for the US. Granted I think it all goes back to the betrayal by the Goddess - women do not indeed become spontaneously pregnant as a gift bestowed upon them by some deity.

Quote:
Second question: how do you think it should be?

It should be that our society doesn't inherently value one gender - male - over another - the female.

Quote:
I have little or no interest in the subject but I enjoy trying to communicate with you. You teach me. Thanks.

I have a great deal of interest in this subject.

I take that as a compliment. Thank you.

Quote:
I do not like rudeness; especially from people who are good at it.

I have my moments. But I'm honest about them.
Magically Delicious

#7New Post! Jan 30, 2017 @ 21:30:39
@mrmhead Said

Seems a few commentors on the article had a different experience growing up - as did I.

I thought all this PC crap being shoved down our throats was supposed to fix all that.

Who is it - the Gen-Xers that are now raising kids?
Boomers are about over the hill, and Millenials are just getting started.

I have no idea. I can't really remember... but as a woman I can tell you that being taught deference to men was indeed an active and pervasive part of my upbringing as a girl.

I think at this point it's a chicken and egg discussion regarding where it is picked up from - home or society.

I do believe that essentially, children become more aware of the world around them at about age 6 and - like children so often do - act like a receiver and amplifier for social mores. In this case, the overwhelming and pervasive message that men are better, stronger, smarter and and and so on and so forth than women.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#8New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:20:12
It's because women dislike eachother.
Magically Delicious

#9New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:21:47
@adrinachrome Said

It's because women dislike eachother.

Fukitall, Arizona
#10New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:26:33

What? It's true for the most part.

Maybe thats not the reason little girls think that way, but maybe it is.

Funny the biggest difference between a 5 and 6 year old kid is kindergarten. A year of interaction with kids of both genders.
Magically Delicious

#11New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:31:10
@adrinachrome Said

What? It's true for the most part.

Maybe thats not the reason little girls think that way, but maybe it is.

Funny the biggest difference between a 5 and 6 year old kid is kindergarten. A year of interaction with kids of both genders.

It's amazing how that man's world BS spills down into women competing for the scraps. That's what most of it is and it's not really something to make light of. Especially if you are holding men up as paragons of behavior in how to get along.

I don't think kids are quite that sophisticated at that point. I think it's more about the increasing awareness that happens at that age.

Fukitall, Arizona
#12New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:40:08
@LuckyCharms Said

It's amazing how that man's world BS spills down into women competing for the scraps. That's what most of it is and it's not really something to make light of. Especially if you are holding men up as paragons of behavior in how to get along.

I don't think kids are quite that sophisticated at that point. I think it's more about the increasing awareness that happens at that age.

Competing for the scraps... Scraps? Get real lucky.

The poor compete for the scraps of the rich, yes, but Women dont compete for the scraps of men. What world do you live in? It's not a fair world ill give you that, but i know plenty of women who are doing better then men. As a matter of fact id say that of the people i know on average the females are financially better off then the men.
Magically Delicious

#13New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:44:36
@adrinachrome Said

Competing for the scraps... Scraps? Get real lucky.

The poor compete for the scraps of the rich, yes, but Women dont compete for the scraps of men. What world do you live in? It's not a fair world ill give you that, but i know plenty of women who are doing better then men. As a matter of fact id say that of the people i know on average the females are financially better off then the men.

For the last 20 years it's been more about wealth. And yes the wealthy have always had their way. But to bury your head in the sand and ignore the last millenia, centuries of history in regards to gender relations does not make sense.

Just as an example, they say it takes at least seven generations to wipe out the effects of slavery/subjugation. I think they are soft peddling that number to be honest, but that's another discussion. But the reality is that the psychological and sociological effects of this BS didn't just go away in the last twenty years.

In fact, judging from the media, the government and culture we've gone backwards in twenty years from the time I was in my early 20s.

Fukitall, Arizona
#14New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:51:07
@LuckyCharms Said

For the last 20 years it's been more about wealth. And yes the wealthy have always had their way. But to bury your head in the sand and ignore the last millenia, centuries of history in regards to gender relations does not make sense.

Just as an example, they say it takes at least seven generations to wipe out the effects of slavery/subjugation. I think they are soft peddling that number to be honest, but that's another discussion. But the reality is that the psychological and sociological effects of this BS didn't just go away in the last twenty years.

In fact, judging from the media, the government and culture we've gone backwards in twenty years from the time I was in my early 20s.

Holding men alive today accountable for the actions of men in past is ridiculous.

We love you guys, we're trying, give us a f***ing break. Or don't and by not doing so cause us to be pushed away. The choice is yours.

You learn from the past, you get over the past, you dont live in the past.

In the past women may have had the scraps left over from men but you're welcome at the table now. Dont be upset at one of the first generations to allow this.

And yes it was allowed.

Which may be f***ed up but it is what it is.
Magically Delicious

#15New Post! Jan 31, 2017 @ 01:54:27
@adrinachrome Said

Holding men alive today accountable for the actions of men in past is ridiculous.

We love you guys, we're trying, give us a f***ing break. Or don't and by not doing so cause us to be pushed away. The choice is yours.

You learn from the past, you get over the past, you dont live in the past.

In the past women may have had the scraps left over from men but you're welcome at the table now. Dont be upset at one of the first generations to allow this.

And yes it was allowed.

Which may be f***ed up but it is what it is.

I hold society responsible. Are men part of society? Yes. So are women.

Don't be so dang sensitive. It's hard enough navigating through all this crap without always worrying about hurting men's feelings, pissing them off or wondering what they are going to take offense at. Sorry - ya'll can be aggressive and exhausting sometimes.

The thing is... I can't say we really are welcome at the table. Oh most tables, many tables... in some degree... as long as it's not more than one or two seats. Maybe three.

That's the sad reality.

It's gotten a lot better. But we are just not there yet.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs