Forums:
Jokes & Humor

Boat engine

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
rondetto On about 24 hours ago

Wrexham, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 16, 2017 @ 13:03:08
An elderly fisherman wrote to a mail order catalogue the following: "Please send me one of those deisel engines for my boat you show on page 438, and if it's any good, I'll send you a cheque."
In a short time he received the following reply: "Please send cheque. If it's any good, we'll send you the engine."
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Mar 16, 2017 @ 13:30:31
@rondetto Said

An elderly fisherman wrote to a mail order catalogue the following: "Please send me one of those deisel engines for my boat you show on page 438, and if it's any good, I'll send you a cheque."
In a short time he received the following reply: "Please send cheque. If it's any good, we'll send you the engine."

the joke was ok.it was funny, not a big laugh.

but interesting, that in uk, you spell " cheque ", we all america, we spell it, like this " check ".

know wonder, we, americans moved from england to started america.

you, all can't spell in uk.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 16, 2017 @ 16:54:11
@twilitezone911 Said

the joke was ok.it was funny, not a big laugh.

but interesting, that in uk, you spell " cheque ", we all america, we spell it, like this " check ".

know wonder, we, americans moved from england to started america.

you, all can't spell in uk.

It's cheque.... as in Exchequer.. the UK Department of State that deals with the nations' finances. This spelling is also used (I believe, Aussies, Kiwis etc please correct me if I'm wrong) in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and India.

It derives from the historic French Eschequier which means "A note promising to pay money to a named person or entity."

We don't mind you using our language provided you respect our right to continue to use it according to our own history, customs and tradition.

I do get quite tetchy about our language. It's taken more than a thousand years to evolve into what it is today and we rather like it just as it is, thank you very much.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Mar 16, 2017 @ 18:13:15
@Jennifer1984 Said

It's cheque.... as in Exchequer.. the UK Department of State that deals with the nations' finances. This spelling is also used (I believe, Aussies, Kiwis etc please correct me if I'm wrong) in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and India.

It derives from the historic French Eschequier which means "A note promising to pay money to a named person or entity."

We don't mind you using our language provided you respect our right to continue to use it according to our own history, customs and tradition.

I do get quite tetchy about our language. It's taken more than a thousand years to evolve into what it is today and we rather like it just as it is, thank you very much.

ok, but we had to leave for america, you all, talk funny. who want a spot of tea at four o'clock in afternoon?

why would we? when we " happy hour " at 5:00 in afternoon. really!!
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Mar 16, 2017 @ 19:10:54
@Jennifer1984 Said

Well colour me surprised!

... and it's only taken a handful of decades for us 'mericans to trash it
rondetto On about 24 hours ago

Wrexham, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 17, 2017 @ 15:12:03
WE are taught the Queen's English in the UK. The English language was adopted by many nations. Some spell our English words differently which of course we don't mind. We respect that fact as long as they respect that is is our language they have adopted.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs