Forums: Entertainment:
Television

Akward choreography in TV

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Dec 08, 2016 @ 14:11:12
There are times when I spot badly planned choreography. I didn't used to be able to do it, but now, it's become a gift. In films I'd like to discuss it to, but I'll create a separate thread to tackle the movie versions.

Let's begin with 'Invasive Procedures' in Deep Space 9. Verad and his followers take the crew of Deep Space 9 hostage in order to remove the Dax symbiont and put it in Verad. Sisko and Kira attempt to escape captivity and it is here that Kira makes a serious mistake.

She grabs Mareel, one of the terrorists, and hits her with an axe handle blow to the gut, apparently winding her badly. She then draws back her hands to strike her again in the face with the same technique, but Mareel catches her arms, pulls them down and delivers a backfist strike to her face, a hook to the jaw, a spinning elbow to the ribs, and then a final side elbow to the jaw, knocking her to the floor.

Now, can anyone tell me what Kira did wrong in this scene?
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Dec 08, 2016 @ 14:32:44
@Conflict Said

There are times when I spot badly planned choreography. I didn't used to be able to do it, but now, it's become a gift. In films I'd like to discuss it to, but I'll create a separate thread to tackle the movie versions.

Let's begin with 'Invasive Procedures' in Deep Space 9. Vorad and his followers take the crew of Deep Space 9 hostage in order to remove the Dax symbiont and put it in Verad. Sisko and Kira attempt to escape captivity and it is here that Kira makes a serious mistake.

She grabs Mareel, one of the terrorists, and hits her with an axe handle blow to the gut, apparently winding her badly. She then draws back her hands to strike her again in the face with the same technique, but Mareel catches her arms, pulls them down and delivers a backfist strike to her face, a hook to the jaw, a spinning elbow to the ribs, and then a final side elbow to the jaw, knocking her to the floor.

Now, can anyone tell me what Kira did wrong in this scene?

I am fan of this show, I do barely remember this scene.

kira is a small woman , I think 5.5 feet or somewhere maybe little smaller.

with this scene, kira hit in her chest a good move, but mareel didn't lean forward, still standing.

mareel lean forward and bend over , kira have leap lift both arms or a elbow against mareel's back to put her down.

that was kira 's mistake should knock her out in the first two blows.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Dec 08, 2016 @ 15:01:11
kira also mistake never let your opponent grab your arms or fists, that is a big mistake give the opponent's upper hand. especially if you are smaller than your opponent.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Dec 08, 2016 @ 17:52:44
Whew!...
For a second there, I thought you were starting a thread about Cop Rock.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Dec 08, 2016 @ 17:54:08
@mrmhead Said

Whew!...
For a second there, I thought you were starting a thread about Cop Rock.

Holy s***...

I'll take things I didn't forget about that I was probably meant to for a thousand, Alex.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#6New Post! Dec 09, 2016 @ 20:38:21
I've found a video on youtube that shows the fight. Skip to 16:31 to see it. Take a look:

Kira vs. Mareel

Now, on second viewing, Kira seems to strike Mareel with an elbow to the gut and then tries to hit her with the axehandle blow very quickly, quicker than I remember. Looking at the scene again, it looks like Kira was moving fast enough to get the second blow in, but Mareel sees it coming almost instantly.

How did Kira telegraph her follow-up attack so clearly as to allow Mareel to know exactly how to stop it?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Dec 09, 2016 @ 20:41:54
@Conflict Said

I've found a video on youtube that shows the fight. Skip to 16:31 to see it. Take a look:

Kira vs. Mareel

Now, on second viewing, Kira seems to strike Mareel with an elbow to the gut and then tries to hit her with the axehandle blow very quickly, quicker than I remember. Looking at the scene again, it looks like Kira was moving fast enough to get the second blow in, but Mareel sees it coming almost instantly.

How did Kira telegraph her follow-up attack so clearly as to allow Mareel to know exactly how to stop it?

Rehearsal

I have to suspend a lot of belief and logic when watching movies or TV.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Dec 09, 2016 @ 21:21:03
most fight scenes in movies and tv shows are rehearsal because insurances companies and liberal policies.

movie and tv fight scenes take more than a day possibly close a week, or weeks, or even months to get right because of the time each blow, and angle of the hit.

most of these scenes are film with doubles, but close shots are real actors and actresses are film, because of that.

most actors or actresses will admit to the media that they can get hurt by miss times blow, because of the timing.

more actors and actresses will more injures and even goes in hospitals, because of major injures of miss time by actors and stunt people by direct by directors.

it is not likely that the director will get this scene in the first shot. Jackie chan and tom cruise are only well-known actors, these days will perform their own stunts.

tom or Jackie not always get seriously injure by stunt scenes. most of time is 50/ 50 change will get hurt.

if you watch the outtakes of all Jackie's movies, you are surprises to see even not get hurt. I have admit, these outtakes, when Jackie get are funny as hell to watch.

it take a lot of practice before shoot a fight scene and dangerous special effects scene that most people think. it take guts as stunt person to these scenes. they are well- known incidents on movie sets that in real life stunt people and actors have literally die or killed on set.

" vic morrow " was killed on set on " twilight zone: the movie " .

that why most movies take over 6 months to finish.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Dec 09, 2016 @ 22:58:04
@Conflict Said

Kira vs. Mareel

I just watched the video, mareel off balance see odo, gave kira took advantage for first and second blow, not third blow.

the hallway that they were fight too small to fight, kira hit him to drive to the wall, by her third blow, he could block it. why odo had to step in for two in one punch that knock him out.

third blow, marleen had the advantage over kira.

triva fact: kira and Julian ( the real actors ) fell in love on the set of the show, and they got married.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#10New Post! Dec 11, 2016 @ 22:20:33
Next subject: the Renegade (1994) TV series. I forget the episode, but Reno Raines corners the villain in the end of the episode, having shot him once. Thi scene has a very significant flaw. Raines has a handgun and the guy is armed with a pump action shotgun and is facing away from Raines, struggling to get to his feet. Raines tells him to stop, but the villain decides to pump a round into the chamber and wheel on Raines, who puts a bullet in his head.

Why would the villain try to fight back, needing to load a fresh chamber into the round? Surely the writer(s) or the director would have reasoned that he had no chance to fire it at his target. Raines had him in his sights and would not have waited for the man to shoot him.

The thing is the villain knew he needed a new round in the chamber. Why didn't the people filimg the episode realize that he had no time to properly aim and shoot?

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Dec 12, 2016 @ 08:40:21
@Conflict Said

Next subject: the Renegade (1994) TV series. I forget the episode, but Reno Raines corners the villain in the end of the episode, having shot him once. Thi scene has a very significant flaw. Raines has a handgun and the guy is armed with a pump action shotgun and is facing away from Raines, struggling to get to his feet. Raines tells him to stop, but the villain decides to pump a round into the chamber and wheel on Raines, who puts a bullet in his head.

Why would the villain try to fight back, needing to load a fresh chamber into the round? Surely the writer(s) or the director would have reasoned that he had no chance to fire it at his target. Raines had him in his sights and would not have waited for the man to shoot him.

The thing is the villain knew he needed a new round in the chamber. Why didn't the people filimg the episode realize that he had no time to properly aim and shoot?

you pick a scene or an average that never make sense, why would a writer write this scene?

the writer or the director probably force write these kind of scene, because of length of the time of episode.

some of the producer like more action scenes in the episode. you probably are aware that they have the censors of tv on set of the tv show at all time. they control and allow the tv show, so many fight scenes in an episode.

like how so many hits in the face per scene, many hits in the stomach, and so on an episode.

this do not because do get ratings, because of the violent of each scene in tv series. in 70's, " starky & hutch " had many violent scenes in one episode in tv show history at the time.

if I remember that " pta " was big thing back then they were tv censors back then. because this that study by child pyschologists show that more violent and link to video games that kids were playing. parents were angry at Hollywood.

pta literally took over Hollywood. they gave producers of tv shows of violent tenancies that they had lists of how different ways that they were allow to fight in an episode.

it was pretty funny back then, how serious this was back then. david and paul Michael glaser stars of " starsky and hutch " try explain how silly this list was several times on " entertainment tonight" .

this reason, why the op want the reason why this scene above is stupid.

the op is why would the villain try to attack, when raines had the upper hand. also, when ( I remember the show right. but I don't remember this scene.) raines was capable to fight with martial arts.

I think the scene for rating, if this scene would probably good in a rain scene.

more fans like this kind of scene above than more ( i agree with the op that scene is really stupid. ) many ways - this scene is typical pretty in these kind tv violent scenes from 70's through the 90's in both movies and tv.

this scene - the fan wants to see the villain act stupid and the hero look bigger than light against the villain.

this is know tv show climax to the end of tv show's arch villain in the show. like " the fugitive " when Richard confronted the final battle with one-arm man.

some reason, the producers of tv show can away with a bad scene like this above to get high rates and the audience is satisfied with the story.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs