News & Current Events

AI is in control of common reality!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
wirelessguru1 On November 01, 2018

Somewhere in, California
#1New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 00:30:07
If you did not believe before that AI (artificial intelligence) was in control of things then check this out!

Knight's future in balance after trading disaster!!!

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Knight Capital Group Inc fought for survival on Thursday after a $440 million trading loss caused by a software glitch wiped out much of its capital, forcing Knight to seek new funding as its shares plunged as much as 80 percent in two days.

Many of the company's biggest customers, including TD Ameritrade, the No. 1 U.S. retail brokerage by trading volume, and fund giants Vanguard and Fidelity Investments, stopped routing orders through Knight. One of the biggest fears is that the company will collapse, landing trading partners with losses.

"They have about 48 hours to shore up confidence," said James Koutoulas, head of an advocacy group for former customers of failed brokerages MF Global and Peregrine Financial.

Knight said it is "actively pursuing its strategic and financing alternatives," raising the likelihood the firm will be sold or face bankruptcy because of the loss and subsequent damage to business.

As one of the leading market makers in U.S. stocks, Knight is among the firms that are critical to smooth, orderly trading. Market makers match orders from buyers and sellers and often provide liquidity by stepping into the market themselves.

The speed at which Knight has unraveled has been particularly unnerving for investors and markets. It resulted from problems with the firm's trading software that sent bogus, rapid-fire trades into the market for 45 minutes on Wednesday and left Knight with big losses on numerous stocks it bought at inflated prices.

"This is like a nuclear reactor or aircraft," said Roy Niederhoffer, whose R.G. Niederhoffer Capital Management uses Knight. "There has to be some way of seeing the state of the whole system." He said that there was "no excuse" for Knight failing to act sooner...."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/knight-seeks-financing-440-million-124602514.html

But if they let AI do the trading automatically, as it is being done now all over the place not just with these people, and then call it a glitch or a problem, then why do it in the first place!?

Somewhere in, California
#2New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 00:34:02
So face it people, AI is in control. It is the matrix...

+1 (Neo)
Electric_Banana 2 minutes ago

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 00:51:02
This goes back to Vonnegut, the Sixties and machines replacing people.

But stopping to think about it again - A lot of critical stuff is left up to machines but machines allow for no exceptions or alternatives and they can fail and go haywire.

They're also vulnerable to remote tampering.

I'm sure there would be plenty of jobs out there if business's wanted to start budgeting for them again.

Somewhere in, California
#4New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 01:01:08
Humans (bio robots) can (and do) also fail and go haywire.

..and, of course, are also vulnerable to remote tampering....

..and no, businesses prefer to replace the bio-robots with other robots since they are much cheaper...
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#5New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 02:44:09
AI or GIGO. You're gonna have to come up with hard evidence that it's AI if you want to eliminate the million to one likelihood it's GIGO.
Electric_Banana 2 minutes ago

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 03:02:26
@wirelessguru1 Said

Humans (bio robots) can (and do) also fail and go haywire.

..and, of course, are also vulnerable to remote tampering....

..and no, businesses prefer to replace the bio-robots with other robots since they are much cheaper...

More or less but you're making it look clever and as if something everyone should be proud of.

Somewhere in, California
#7New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 19:09:55
@Electric_Banana Said

More or less but you're making it look clever and as if something everyone should be proud of.

No, I am just calling a spade a spade!

Somewhere in, California
#8New Post! Aug 03, 2012 @ 19:12:02
@ThePainefulTruth Said

AI or GIGO. You're gonna have to come up with hard evidence that it's AI if you want to eliminate the million to one likelihood it's GIGO.

What hard evidence?
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#9New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 04:44:39
@wirelessguru1 Said

What hard evidence?

Exactly.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#10New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 07:54:44
This is called programmer error.

Somewhere in, California
#11New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 18:38:37
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Exactly.

Exactly what!?

Somewhere in, California
#12New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 18:42:28
@El_Tino Said

This is called programmer error.

Not exactly. The program could have indded been programed to do what it did based on what it saw in the market...so I would not call it programmer error since the machines are making most of the trading decisions these days anyway...
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 18:45:54
@wirelessguru1 Said

Not exactly. The program could have indded been programed to do what it did based on what it saw in the market...so I would not call it programmer error since the machines are making most of the trading decisions these days anyway...

So if I wrote a program to do all that and it went haywire I could just say it was the programs fault and not mine? sweet that means I can have a multi-million dollar job and if anything f***s up I can just blame it on the program and not my non-existant skill set.
Soolin On August 05, 2012

Banned

Rendlesham, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 20:49:33
It is just some comp error thing. But I don't think computers r ever going to replace people because they can't really think.

Somewhere in, California
#15New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 21:05:43
@Soolin Said

It is just some comp error thing. But I don't think computers r ever going to replace people because they can't really think.

Well, and based on your posts here I can easily say that even an average computer can think better than you...

+1 (Neo)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs