Politics

A House Divided Cannot Stand!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#1New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 11:46:24
While all the liberals are mad about Trump, and all the conservatives are mad about the "snowflakes", can I take a moment to point out the obvious?

Does no one realize that while we are fighting to oppose each other, we can make no progress? Does nobody realize that separation will do nothing but further divide us?

Our founding fathers warned us about this.

Here is an idea: Develop your OWN opinion and beliefs, rather than incorporating what some entity TELLS you what to think!

Uploaded at ImageFra.me
chaski On about 5 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 15:04:08
@newcarscent7 Said

Does no one realize that while we are fighting to oppose each other, we can make no progress? Does nobody realize that separation will do nothing but further divide us?

Yes.

Many of us know this. We are a divided nation, and the blame goes to both sides.

Sadly it would seem that even you, with your good question/point, are supporting the divide with statements like: "...all the conservatives are mad about the "snowflakes".... not conservative mad at liberals...not Republicans mad at Democrats, but... conservatives mad at snowflakes...

Cleveland, Ohio
#3New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 16:18:28
@chaski Said

Yes.

Many of us know this. We are a divided nation, and the blame goes to both sides.

Sadly it would seem that even you, with your good question/point, are supporting the divide with statements like: "...all the conservatives are mad about the "snowflakes".... not conservative mad at liberals...not Republicans mad at Democrats, but... conservatives mad at snowflakes...

That's you interpretation, sorry you are so confused. Maybe I should have been more specific about what they are fighting over, but I figured it was obvious. I also didn't want to bring race and religion into it, which is a huge part. But you are entitled to your opinion.
Stalker

#4New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 16:23:59
@newcarscent7 Said

That's you interpretation, sorry you are so confused. Maybe I should have been more specific about what they are fighting over, but I figured it was obvious

Your statement, and I quote, again the conservatives are mad about the "snowflakes" is my interpretation?

Ok.

@newcarscent7 Said

I also didn't want to bring race and religion into it, which is a huge part.

I didn't say anything about either race nor religion, but you should feel free to bring up whatever you want to.

Cleveland, Ohio
#5New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 16:39:13
@chaski Said

Your statement, and I quote, again the conservatives are mad about the "snowflakes" is my interpretation?

Ok.

I didn't say anything about either race nor religion, but you should feel free to bring up whatever you want to.

You are claiming that I'm supporting the divide, because I wasn't specific with my terminology. Care to elaborate?

Cleveland, Ohio
#6New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 16:49:40
I'm a neutral nihilist, meaning than I pick no sides, I develop my own thoughts and opinions on matters, and I believe there is nothing we can do to change anything, other than trying to fix it ourselves.

I pointed out that Liberals are mad about Trump, a Conservative (very extreme Conservative at that), being elected.
I pointed out how Conservatives are mad at the "snowflakes". I will elaborate on that, since it seems to be the main point of your post.

To make it clear, I was using the exact terminology that is currently being shoved down our throats. You cannot go on a public forum with the keywords "Trump" and not see someone whining and someone else calling them a snowflake. It's overused and annoying and I was using it in a slightly jestful way.

If it makes you feel better I'll be more vague , since certain key words trigger some people.

One side is mad the the other side because their guy won. That same side is mad because the other side is whining about a lot of stuff that doesn't matter. They both keep causing problems and blaming each other, instead of working together and setting their differences aside in the name of progress.

Is that better?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 16:59:49
@newcarscent7 Said

I'm a neutral nihilist, meaning than I pick no sides, I develop my own thoughts and opinions on matters, and I believe there is nothing we can do to change anything, other than trying to fix it ourselves.

That's not what nihilism means. And I'm not saying that to be a d***, it just isn't.

If what you're writing above is true, you're better than a nihilist in my opinion. But even developing your own thoughts and opinions can lead to choosing a side...in fact it almost always does. And that's okay, you're supposed to choose a side a lot of the time, people just need to strive to do so with an informed choice.

Quote:

One side is mad the the other side because their guy won. That same side is mad because the other side is whining about a lot of stuff that doesn't matter. They both keep causing problems and blaming each other, instead of working together and setting their differences aside in the name of progress.

I agree this is a big problem for the country in general.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 18:34:01
Speaking as a neutral observer (ie: A foreigner) the division is obvious to see from here and appears to be growing wider almost day by day.

Can I ask: Is there any mechanism, except for impeachment, for Trump to be removed from office and another election called?

I'm thinking of, perhaps, a vote in your Upper House of No Confidence in the President.

Here, a vote of No Confidence would force the Prime Minister to resign and request the Queen to dissolve Parliament. In short, call an election. Put it to the people to decide.

Is there any flexibility in the US system which would enable this (from where I sit) hopeless, divisive, unpopular President, who behaves like a petty dictator in the management of his staff and whose administration is (or looks like, from here) failing on every single one of its manifesto commitments to be required to call an election...?

Another three and half years of this will surely do dreadful damage to the unity of the American people. Nobody can want that, can they..?

Cleveland, Ohio
#9New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 18:39:59
@Eaglebauer Said

That's not what nihilism means. And I'm not saying that to be a d***, it just isn't.

If what you're writing above is true, you're better than a nihilist in my opinion. But even developing your own thoughts and opinions can lead to choosing a side...in fact it almost always does. And that's okay, you're supposed to choose a side a lot of the time, people just need to strive to do so with an informed choice.

I agree this is a big problem for the country in general.

I'm an existential nihilist, which is basically the belief that life has no meaning. I believe in no powerful entity, so praying or giving up myself to a greater power, high-ranking official or authority is pointless in my eyes.
I use that belief as motivation; If I want change, I have to make it myself.

I sometimes run into this conversation, because it's easier to say "Nihilist" than going on a long rant about my belief system

As for choosing sides:
In that case my side is liberty and freedom, and true Democracy, the original concept of the U.S. by the founding fathers. A concept that has been dulled-down and manipulated over the last 150 years.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 18:48:19
@newcarscent7 Said

I'm an existential nihilist, which is basically the belief that life has no meaning. I believe in no powerful entity, so praying or giving up myself to a greater power, high-ranking official or authority is pointless in my eyes.
I use that belief as motivation; If I want change, I have to make it myself.

I sometimes run into this conversation, because it's easier to say "Nihilist" than going on a long rant about my belief system

As for choosing sides:
In that case my side is liberty and freedom, and true Democracy, the original concept of the U.S. by the founding fathers. A concept that has been dulled-down and manipulated over the last 150 years.

Perhaps it's a discussion for another thread in the philosophy forum, but true nihilism draws the meaninglessness of life from a lack of values and almost inevitably leads to the conclusion that any attempt at change is futile. It's not always a permanent espousal though, as several of the most important thinkers of the 19th century used it more as a stepping stone to something beyond...to an attempt to affect change wholesale in the world. But that affectation was something other than nihilism.

Cleveland, Ohio
#11New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 19:03:28
@Eaglebauer Said

Perhaps it's a discussion for another thread in the philosophy forum, but true nihilism draws the meaninglessness of life from a lack of values and almost inevitably leads to the conclusion that any attempt at change is futile. It's not always a permanent espousal though, as several of the most important thinkers of the 19th century used it more as a stepping stone to something beyond...to an attempt to affect change wholesale in the world. But that affectation was something other than nihilism.

I would very much enjoy a deeper discussion on the subject.

I use the term loosely, as my belief is a variation of nihilism. Existential nihilism goes more into the meaning of life, rather than giving up altogether. I use it as a coping mechanism for life. I used to conclude there is fate, karma, etc. But I now live as if nothing matters.

The optimist inside me is hoping that maybe change like I've described will happen, but deep down I am almost certain it won't, and I can honestly care less if it does or doesn't.

And I know talking about it online accomplishes nothing. I just wanted some feedback on what I'm observing.
Stalker

#12New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 21:48:45
@newcarscent7 Said

You are claiming that I'm supporting the divide, because I wasn't specific with my terminology. Care to elaborate?

I didn't "claim" anything.

You did seem "specific" in your terminology.

As to "elaboration", I'm with you...

I think our country is divided....mostly because Democrats and high school educated alt-right fascists can't get along.

( Sarcasm there )

Cleveland, Ohio
#13New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 22:23:26
I still don't understand what alt-right is, I'm getting mixed answers. Some are calling them nazis but others are calling them freedom-fighters. I'm sick of all these labels.
Stalker

#14New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 22:33:30
@newcarscent7 Said

I still don't understand what alt-right is, I'm getting mixed answers. Some are calling them nazis but others are calling them freedom-fighters.

Alt-right is a general term that definitely indicates far right Republicans/Conservatives...way right of the even the most conservative Republicans.

The term is often used to indicate "white supremacists". Anyone calling them "freedom-fighters" is most likely very confused.

@newcarscent7 Said

I'm sick of all these labels.

This

Cleveland, Ohio
#15New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 23:15:25
@chaski Said

Alt-right is a general term that definitely indicates far right Republicans/Conservatives...way right of the even the most conservative Republicans.

The term is often used to indicate "white supremacists". Anyone calling them "freedom-fighters" is most likely very confused.

So basically nazi's in black biker clothes. May as well be terrorists. And I guess the people calling them Freedom Fighters are probably just to afraid to go out and do it themselves.

So it comes down to a race war. Just saying, it wasn't this bad until Travon Martin. I can't help but feel the media is to blame
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs