Forums:
Health & Fitness

5k park run

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Rajadi On April 03, 2017

Leeds, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 03, 2017 @ 10:17:24
I started a running club at work and have run the 5k park run at roundhay park which felt fantastic.
I want to keep this up has anyone got any ideas?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 03, 2017 @ 15:21:19
Keep running. For me, running is great exercise and makes me feel exhilarated and refreshed, even when I'm hot and sweaty in the immediate aftermath. That great feeling of "burn" in my muscles is almost like a reward.

I like to vary my routes and distances. Perhaps if you plan a few routes around your local town at, say, 5, 6 or 7 km, and have a good old 10km for when you're feeling most up for it you can vary it according to how much you feel like doing, or have the time for, on any given day.

Make your routes as interesting as your locale will provide. I have a route along our clifftops which takes me about 3.5km out to where I turn around and obviously the same distance back to my car makes it 7km in total (yes, I drive to the start point). Running against the stiff, westerly wind on the way out is hard work, but coming back I can get a good strong pace up. The fresh sea wind off the Atlantic Ocean is a great exhilaration in itself.

Another route: From my house I can run down the hill to the seafront and along the esplanade. There and back is 3km each way so that makes a total 6km run but the last three hundred metres or so, back to my house, is uphill. Not a steep gradient but it makes for a good sprint finish (well, I call it a sprint. lol.)

I have other planned out routes, between 5 and 12 km and I enjoy them all. Never get bored with them.

For instance, when I go to the gym and run on the treadmill, I record the distance I run and am marking it off on a UK map along a marked route which is taking me, little by little, from John O'Groats (the most northerly point of the UK mainland) to Land's End (the most south westerly point of the UK mainland). The total distance from A to B, on my route, is 1'563 km. So far I've completed 527.02 km which puts me south of Edinburgh on the road to Berwick-upon-Tweed, close to the border between Scotland and England.

Doing these things keeps my running interesting and fun, and helps to keep me motivated. I don't get bored or see running as a chore. I enjoy it and it keeps me fit and in shape. I wish I could find more time to get out and do it, but I'm often too busy.

I hope you find ways to make your running fun and interesting too. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Regards.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#3New Post! Apr 04, 2017 @ 00:10:42
Just keep running. You've already completed a 5K run which, congratulations by the way. Those aren't easy to complete. Eventually you'll probably want to work your way up to longer runs, maybe eventually to a marathon if you feel up for it, but you've pretty much got everything rolling so far. Doing the events that Jen talked about would really go a long way, too.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Apr 04, 2017 @ 00:28:28
I used to wonder what the "26.2" and "13.1" stickers on cars were for.

I recently saw a "0.0"
That one's for me!
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Apr 04, 2017 @ 01:25:29
i remember in high school, we had to run laps. i hate the burning sensation in your chest, you get run for a long time.

since then i just walk a lot more, i would run for a hobby.

i try to 4 miles every week, if i can.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Apr 04, 2017 @ 02:37:57
While in Navy ROTC, we had to run 3 miles for PFT ....

... Tell me - What F'ng ship is 3 miles long???
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs