Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

1654 Law Suit Established Legal Status for Slavery ,Virgina USA

AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 12:28:12
Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcom X, Rosa Parks, and Barrack Obama - These names frequently come to mind when we think about black history facts in the United States; but what about John Casor? Many people have never heard of him, but his story should be known to everyone who cares about American history.

Quote:
Anthony Johnson vs Robert Parker

During the late 1640s, Johnson moved with his family to Northampton County on Virginia's Eastern Shore, where he acquired property on Pungoteague Creek and began raising livestock. He was the first African landowner in the colony. By July 1651, he had brought his holdings, which he referred to in a court record as myne owne ground, to 250 acres (100 ha), then a considerable tract by eastern shore standards. He was prosperous enough to import five indentured servants of his own and was granted an additional 250 acres (100 ha) as "headrights".

In 1653 John Casor, a Black man employed by Johnson, said that he had been imported as a "seaven or eight yeares" indentured servant and that after attempting to reclaim his indenture, he had been told by Johnson that he didn't have one. According to the court documents, Casor demanded his freedom, and "Anthony Johnson was in a feare. Upon this his sonne in lawe, his wife and his two sonnes perswaded the said Anthony Johnson to sett the said John Casor free." Casor went to work for Robert Parker, a White colonist who, along with his brother George, later testified that they knew Casor had an indenture. One commentator said that Johnson may have feared losing his headrights land if the case went to court.

Anthony Johnson brought suit in Northampton County court against Robert Parker in 1654 for detaining his "Negro servant, John Casor," saying "Hee never did see any [indenture] but that hee had ye Negro for his life". In the case of Johnson vs Parker, the court of Northampton County upheld Johnson's right to hold Casor as a slave, saying in its ruling of 8 March 1655:

This daye Anthony Johnson negro made his complaint to the court against mr. Robert Parker and declared that hee deteyneth his servant John Casor negro under the pretence that said negro was a free man. The court seriously consideringe and maturely weighing the premisses, doe fynde that the saide Mr. Robert Parker most unjustly keepeth the said Negro from Anthony Johnson his master ... It is therefore the Judgement of the Court and ordered That the said John Casor Negro forthwith returne unto the service of the said master Anthony Johnson, And that Mr. Robert Parker make payment of all charges in the suit

In 1665 Anthony Johnson and his wife Mary, his son John and his wife Susanna, and their slave John Casor moved to Somerset County, Maryland. Casor remained Johnson's slave for the rest of his life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Casor

Quote:
Although it was Anthony Johnson's court case against John Casor that established the legal status of slavery in Virginia, it is difficult to identify him as the 'first' slaveholder in the state as indentured servants were, in effect slaves for the term of their contract. Johnson was the first to hold servants who were legally slaves for life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

n/a, New Mexico
#2New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 12:45:47
This law suit had a significant bearing on the future of slavery in what would become the United States of America.
One thing that makes it such a sad sad event , is the fact that the black man that the court decreed to be a slave for life to Anthony Johnson was originally an indentured servant that had worked off his debt and should by all rights have been a free man . This poor man lost for ever his freedom because of the greed and under handed actions of someone that already was successful land owner and slave master , Even though he was considered a very successful a land owner and slave master and that his wife , daughter an son in law pleaded with him to let the indentured servant have his freedom , Anthony Johnson's greed made him deaf and blind to allowing a free man his freedom .
Another deal that would later come from this law suit was this,,,
Quote:
In 1670 the colonial assembly passed a law prohibiting free and baptized negroes and Indians from purchasing Christians (in this act meaning English or European whites) but allowing them to buy persons "of their owne nation." In this meaning, purchase also related to buying the contract services of indentured servants of various "nations".

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 14:26:36
That both Anthony Johnson and John Casor came to the shores of North America as indentured servants of African decent is a little known fact when talking about the stain of slavery on America's history.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#4New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 20:05:36
Awwwww, now you've gone and done it. Who're they gonna get reparations from now? And are all of Johnson's descendants damned to the 7th generation from his last slaveholding descendant?

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 20:12:07
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Awwwww, now you've gone and done it. Who're they gonna ask reparations from now?

I took a long time to decide whether or not to post this thread. And all I could think about was how many times I have heard about how the truth has always been 'white washed' about America's history and slavery. ( no pun intended)
When I did decided to post it ,then I couldn't figure out where to post it.

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 20:25:07
I have no doubt what so ever that the law suit was bound to happen at some point , simply because of the mindset about Africans and slavery at the time .
But I will say to find out that it was a former indentured black man that took a white man to court, to keep another black man enslaved ,that legally was a free man but couldn't prove it because his paperwork couldn't / wouldn't be shown.
That really knocked me for a loop .(so to speak)
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 21:02:26
@white_swan53 Said

I have no doubt what so ever that the law suit was bound to happen at some point , simply because of the mindset about Africans and slavery at the time .
But I will say to find out that it was a former indentured black man that took a white man to court, to keep another black man enslaved ,that legally was a free man but couldn't prove it because his paperwork couldn't / wouldn't be shown.
That really knocked me for a loop .(so to speak)

I'm sure that it'll turn out that two wrongs do make a right.

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! May 07, 2011 @ 22:06:55
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I'm sure that it'll turn out that two wrongs do make a right.

Whatever repercussions from Johnson taking Parker to court has already happened .
So I'm not following your line of thought that two wrongs make a right.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#9New Post! May 08, 2011 @ 06:13:07
Thought the idea might float to the surface, but perhaps it was a tad obscure.

No matter how many wrongs are done, only the ones done by whites count, so the rest can be excused.

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! May 08, 2011 @ 06:48:04
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Thought the idea might float to the surface, but perhaps it was a tad obscure.

No matter how many wrongs are done, only the ones done by whites count, so the rest can be excused.

Okay , I had forgotten that detail .
In that context , it could be shown that it was the white man being sued fault.

On a serious note.
It really sucks that out of pure greed Johnson actually took it as far as to sue in court to keep Casor enslaved so he wouldn't lose any of his property.
And that judge ordering Casor enslaved for life and Johnson accepting the judgment shows him in a pretty bad light . IMO I'll bet Johnson didn't expect much more then maybe getting Casor for the length of what ever an average indenture was. I'm just guessing of course.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! May 08, 2011 @ 06:55:04
So the first slave was owned by a black man eh? Interesting.

Slaves were also captured in Africa from other Africans' assistance.

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! May 08, 2011 @ 07:13:45
@Leon Said

So the first slave was owned by a black man eh? Interesting.

Slaves were also captured in Africa from other Africans' assistance.

The first life time slave was owned by a black man. Up until the court order they were indentured servants which for the duration of the indenture they were treated like slaves . but as this shows , after their indenture was paid they were accepted into the community granted lands and could own indentured servants etc...
The topic of Africans assisting in the capture and sell of their own countrymen is not a theory that finds acceptance with black American s .
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#13New Post! May 08, 2011 @ 07:20:50
@white_swan53 Said

The first life time slave was owned by a black man. Up until the court order they were indentured servants which for the duration of the indenture they were treated like slaves . but as this shows , after their indenture was paid they were accepted into the community granted lands and could own indentured servants etc...
The topic of Africans assisting in the capture and sell of their own countrymen is not a theory that finds acceptance with black American s .

I never said it was a theory held by anybody. And I am sure this tidbit about Johnson and Casor won't be disputed either.

n/a, New Mexico
#14New Post! May 08, 2011 @ 07:33:22
@Leon Said

I never said it was a theory held by anybody. And I am sure this tidbit about Johnson and Casor won't be disputed either.

I wasn't impling that yo had said it was a theory held by anybody.
I have had conversations with black Americans here and on other forums and message boards on the topic .
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! May 08, 2011 @ 07:38:53
@white_swan53 Said

I wasn't impling that yo had said it was a theory held by anybody.
I have had conversations with black Americans here and on other forums and message boards on the topic .

What do they say about the Johnson and Casor story?
Locked<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)