My Stats

Antarctica
PLS: ? 21.76

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Post digestive nuggets
TFS Journal

Just2BHeard

New Post! July 09, 2017 @ 08:33:31 am
I just joined and while browsing came across this journal.
I've taken into consideration some of the posts in my response.
Why So Down On English? It is very descriptive and colorful.
I must admit, it does have it's idiosyncrasies.
I've noticed, and maybe you have too, that as your vocabulary
increases, descriptions are not black & white anymore. Many shades of grey sneak in.Just look up a word in a thesaurus.
It is a hybrid of many of the world's languages. Doesn't this make it
'universal'? (As for the word universal, the other languages of the universe, as of now, are fabrications of Sci-Fi)
The dictionary is my favorite book. But on occasion, misuse of a word. over time. has changed it's definition. Ignorant is a prime example. It's just a lack of exposure or knowledge. Once you are taught or learn it, you're no longer ignorant. Now it is used as bad social behavior.
Grammar-that's another sad story.
English is a wonderful language and I hope nothing gets list in translation.

Just2BHeard

New Post! July 09, 2017 @ 08:40:11 am
I just joined and while browsing came across this journal.
I've taken into consideration some of the posts in my response.
Why So Down On English? It is very descriptive and colorful.
I must admit, it does have it's idiosyncrasies.
I've noticed, and maybe you have too, that as your vocabulary
increases, descriptions are not black & white anymore. Many shades of grey sneak in. Just look up a word in a thesaurus.
It is a hybrid of many of the world's languages. Doesn't this make it 'universal'? (As for the word universal, the other languages of the universe, as of now, are fabrications of Sci-Fi)
The dictionary is my favorite book. But on occasion, misuse of a word. over time. has changed it's definition. Ignorant is a prime example. It's just a lack of exposure or knowledge. Once you are taught or learn it, you're no longer ignorant. Now it is used as bad social behavior.
Grammar-that's another sad story.
English is a wonderful language and I hope nothing gets list in translation.

Jennifer1984

Returner and proud

New Post! July 09, 2017 @ 02:22:56 pm
A language where every word had only one meaning would have to contain a LOT of words to cover all the known possible variations, and would constantly be having large numbers of words added to keep track each time a variation or new nuance was discovered / invented.

Such a vast language would require a much larger alphabet just to cope with all the variations of letter required to create all these words.

And then there are homophones to think about. A language with a vast number of words would inevitably have a larger number of words with different meanings which would sound the same.

I could come up with more difficulties if I tried but I think you get my drift.

While I can imagine that such a language may be useful in a philosophical sense, philosophy is not the be all and end all of life. The principle purpose of language is to enable people to communicate effectively and most languages have evolved into whatever form and shape they have now, to be useful and relevant to the people that use them.

If philosophers are so clever, they can surely find a way to use the language as it is.

Pages: << · 1 2
Quote | Reply