Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Our own way

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Conflict On March 25, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Mar 20, 2017 @ 14:47:23
We can take care of things in our own way. It is a natural recourse and if we cause no public disturbances, destroy no public property and others are willing to share this modus operandi, the law can't intervene. We can use our own private networks of contacts, friends, family etc, to achieve what we want behind the scenes. We can adopt various methods of physical and, or, verbal violence and use the night as cover to move around and deal with the people who make life difficult for us.

Why is this way of life is adopted? Many have chosen it, in both the public and the private sectors. How do we believe in this kind of existence enough to make it work?

I am asking you because I don't take such an approach myself. For as long as I can remember, I have gone through the system to get where I want to go. I have spent much of my life in the pursuit of my goals, using public service to accomplish my goals. I still intend to and I cannot imagine taking such personal charge of my life.
chaski On about 8 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Mar 20, 2017 @ 15:13:56
What is wrong with using our own private networks to advance oneself in life?

Example 1: Let's say I am a completely incompetent nitwit, and I take advantage of the people my father knows and get hired into a job. Because of my "network" I get this job over you, who is not the incompetent nitwit that I am.

Who gets hurt?

Yes... you don't get the job, so in a way you are hurt.

However.. doesn't the person who hired me for, perhaps the wrong reasons, get hurt at least as much if not more? After all, this person hired me because of my father but now has an employee who is incompetent.

Example 2: On the other hand, what if I was not incompetent. Sure, I got the job because of my father, not because of my resume. But, I rise tot he occasion and prove that I was a good person to hire...I do my job at least at an acceptable level and maybe even find away to prove that I was well worth hiring in the 1st place and end up performing at a high level.

Example 3: Let's say you and I are trying to get a job. The exact same job. In all things you and I are essentially equal. We have the same education, same grades, same employment experiences, etc... really it is a toss up. We might as well be perfectly identical twins separated at birth. The only difference is that the employer knows your father but does not know my father. Who should get hired and by what criterion? Remember, in this example you and I are equal in all things... except you have one and only one thing I don't...a connection with the employer. So, you get hired.

Is it unfair that you get hired and I don't?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! Mar 21, 2017 @ 13:11:31
@chaski Said

Example 1: Let's say I am a completely incompetent nitwit, and I take advantage of the people my father knows and get hired into a job. Because of my "network" I get this job over you, who is not the incompetent nitwit that I am.

Who gets hurt?

However.. doesn't the person who hired me for, perhaps the wrong reasons, get hurt at least as much if not more? After all, this person hired me because of my father but now has an employee who is incompetent.

Example 2: On the other hand, what if I was not incompetent. Sure, I got the job because of my father, not because of my resume. But, I rise tot he occasion and prove that I was a good person to hire...I do my job at least at an acceptable level and maybe even find away to prove that I was well worth hiring in the 1st place and end up performing at a high level.

Example 3: Let's say you and I are trying to get a job. The exact same job. In all things you and I are essentially equal. We have the same education, same grades, same employment experiences, etc... really it is a toss up. We might as well be perfectly identical twins separated at birth. The only difference is that the employer knows your father but does not know my father. Who should get hired and by what criterion? Remember, in this example you and I are equal in all things... except you have one and only one thing I don't...a connection with the employer. So, you get hired.

This supports my theory that life is not fair.

#4New Post! Mar 21, 2017 @ 13:46:22
Conflict: We can take care of things in our own way.

Erimitus: yes, when possible we take care of things in our own way.

Erimitus: is it correct to assume that taking care of things means survival?

Conflict: Taking care of things is a natural recourse choice.

Erimitus: I agree that survival is the natural choice.

Conflict: if we cause no public disturbances, destroy no public property and others are willing to share this modus operandi, the law can't intervene.

If: we cause no public disturbance
and: destroy no public property
and: others do not care what you do
and : the rules are followed
Then: We can survive (i.e., take care of things) in our own way.

Erimitus: There are, of course, always constraints; physical constraints(e.g., strength), mental constraints, (e.g., conditioning, phobias, compulsions), and social constraints (e.g., contemporary regional standards of conduct). Independent of the usual constrains individuals can pretty much survive in their own way.

Conflict: We can use our own private networks of contacts, friends, family etc, to achieve what we want behind the scenes.

Erimitus: yes, if possible, that would be the correct thing to do.

Hitler: Success is the soul adjudicator of correctness. (or was that Machiavelli?)

Conflict: We can adopt various methods of physical and, or, verbal violence and use the night as cover to move around and deal with the people who make life difficult for us.

Erimitus: Yes, that is the usual way that it is done.

Conflict: Why is this way of life is adopted?

Erimitus: To survive

Conflict: How do we believe in this kind of existence enough to make it work?

Erimitus: I do not understand your question.

Conflict: I am asking you because I don't take such an approach myself. For as long as I can remember, I have gone through the system to get where I want to go. I have spent much of my life in the pursuit of my goals, using public service to accomplish my goals. I still intend to and I cannot imagine taking such personal charge of my life.

Erimitus: Are you hoping for Sainthood?
mrmhead On about 20 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Mar 21, 2017 @ 14:07:09
I viewed / interpreted the OP as an observation on a "cult" (instant bad connotations) or somewhat isolated society

Jonestown
Amish
Waco
"The Village" (movie)

... how "self reliant" are Native American reservations?

I would imagine the Inuit or other somewhat isolated villages and societies take care of things their own way.

Why?
Location Location Location
or
"The world is so effed up we need to get away"

We can go to the extreme: North Korea - If Lil' Kim weren't always threatening nuclear holocaust, we'd be happy to just let them be.
(but now Tillerson has stated "the policy of strategic patience has ended" )

#6New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 07:33:57
Conflict On March 25, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#7New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 13:41:31
@chaski Said

Who gets hurt?

What matters the most is that people have a connection to the outside world and set up their businesses, or work within their environments without trying to get too much of what they want out of it, for themselves alone. True, we all have desires, wishes, etc, but we must use what is around us without believing that we ourselves have all the answers.

Restaurants and other businesses have their names emblazoned above their stores as a reminder of this. Yes, they want to attract customers to their places, but they are not going to obscure themselves in order to create a bunker in order to strike from the shadows to get their own way.

Names of places are methods of showing us that we can share, at the same time ask others to do things for us.

@Erimitus Said

Conflict: We can take care of things in our own way.

Erimitus: yes, when possible we take care of things in our own way.

Erimitus: is it correct to assume that taking care of things means survival?

Conflict: Taking care of things is a natural recourse choice.

Erimitus: I agree that survival is the natural choice.

Conflict: if we cause no public disturbances, destroy no public property and others are willing to share this modus operandi, the law can't intervene.

If: we cause no public disturbance
and: destroy no public property
and: others do not care what you do
and : the rules are followed
Then: We can survive (i.e., take care of things) in our own way.

Erimitus: There are, of course, always constraints; physical constraints(e.g., strength), mental constraints, (e.g., conditioning, phobias, compulsions), and social constraints (e.g., contemporary regional standards of conduct). Independent of the usual constrains individuals can pretty much survive in their own way.

Conflict: We can use our own private networks of contacts, friends, family etc, to achieve what we want behind the scenes.

Erimitus: yes, if possible, that would be the correct thing to do.

Hitler: Success is the soul adjudicator of correctness. (or was that Machiavelli?)

Conflict: We can adopt various methods of physical and, or, verbal violence and use the night as cover to move around and deal with the people who make life difficult for us.

Erimitus: Yes, that is the usual way that it is done.

Conflict: Why is this way of life is adopted?

Erimitus: To survive

Conflict: How do we believe in this kind of existence enough to make it work?

Erimitus: I do not understand your question.

Conflict: I am asking you because I don't take such an approach myself. For as long as I can remember, I have gone through the system to get where I want to go. I have spent much of my life in the pursuit of my goals, using public service to accomplish my goals. I still intend to and I cannot imagine taking such personal charge of my life.

Erimitus: Are you hoping for Sainthood?

Conflict: I'm hoping for something else, not so grand, but more reasonable. What I hope for is a world where people do what is best for them, but with the aid of those around them in capacities that everyone can see and in turn, be inspired by.

As for the question you did not understand, let me rephrase it: how can some of us believe that our needs are so important we must act behind the scenes, believing that behind closed doors or privatized agreements between human beings are the only trustworthy methods?

#8New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 17:09:15
I paraphrased in order to see if I understand you an not to change your meaning.

In order to live the best possible life the members of a society [should]...

...have a connection with the society

...contribute to the society

...Work (within the society) without being greedy and arrogant

#9New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 17:17:04
C: What I hope for is a world where people do what is best for them, but with the aid of those around them in capacities that everyone can see and in turn, be inspired by.

E: Do you think there has ever been such a society or ever could be?

C: How can some of us believe that our needs are so important we must act behind the scenes, believing that behind closed doors or privatized agreements between human beings are the only trustworthy methods?

E: Programming.

Philosophy could be viewed as asking the question; how do I live the best possible life.

I do not know the answer is....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs