PLS: ? 21.76

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Post digestive nuggets
TFS Journal

Erimitus

New Post! February 10, 2017 @ 09:31:18 pm
@chaski Said

Mostly.... at least in modern times.

Some issues of "morality" have been codified into laws. Presumably this was done, over time, because the issues were of great importance to the "security" and "stability" of the "community".

Other issues of "morality" are certainly subjective, but not worthy of becoming or remaining laws.

I am not sure legislating morality works...

Erimitus

New Post! February 10, 2017 @ 09:36:31 pm
@white_swan53 Said

On the other hand, when the officer informs you he/she is going to give you a field test and you tell them , " Never mind , I'm to drunk to take one , much less pass it". It sure cuts down on the time it takes to get from your front seat to their back seat .
I actully seen that happen once.

I am pretty sure I couldn't pass a field test even when I am sober.

Actually I don't drink; I would if I could but my liver is shot. You can tell I have been drinking because I would be dead. I really miss alcohol.

chaski

Stalker

New Post! February 11, 2017 @ 12:36:01 am
@Erimitus Said

I am not sure legislating morality works...

Oh I agree.

However, much of our laws started in the realm of morality.

The trouble is "drawing" the proverbial line between that which should be a law and that which may or may not be an issue of morality.

Ratty

New Post! February 18, 2017 @ 04:57:25 am
Someone once said that lies often contain some truths......

Erimitus

New Post! February 18, 2017 @ 05:00:24 am
@chaski Said

Oh I agree.

However, much of our laws started in the realm of morality.

The trouble is "drawing" the proverbial line between that which should be a law and that which may or may not be an issue of morality.

The ten commandments for example

Ratty

New Post! February 18, 2017 @ 05:30:32 am
Lies can serve a purpose.... So I hear.....

chaski

Stalker

New Post! February 18, 2017 @ 06:09:17 am
@Erimitus Said

The ten commandments for example

The 10 are certainly an example, though Hammurabi's laws would seem to have predated them by at least a few hundred years....

...but really I think that what became both morals and laws started much farther back in time, at least 10,000 years ago...but realistically probably much farther in our unrecorded "pre-history" when "we" were smaller tribes striving to survive and necessarily needed behaviors (unwritten rules) that assisted in keeping "us" together in a state of mutual trust and interdependence...and thus surviving.

Ratty

New Post! February 18, 2017 @ 06:18:32 am
I can't lie, I can with others, but not with Mrs. Ratty, she knows.... she always knows.....

Erimitus

New Post! February 18, 2017 @ 06:36:02 am
@chaski Said

The 10 are certainly an example, though Hammurabi's laws would seem to have predated them by at least a few hundred years....

...but really I think that what became both morals and laws started much farther back in time, at least 10,000 years ago...but realistically probably much farther in our unrecorded "pre-history" when "we" were smaller tribes striving to survive and necessarily needed behaviors (unwritten rules) that assisted in keeping "us" together in a state of mutual trust and interdependence...and thus surviving.

I suspect that any society, no matter how small or primitive, has standards of conduct.

I am thinking that morality was invented by the masters to control their slaves. Here is my reasoning. Primitive societies were able to subsist on what they could hunt and gather. Early agrarian societies workers were able to produce more than they consumed. The masters took the excess production and the workers continued to live and subsist.

Overseers are expensive but essential to maintaining order; and as populations grew the number of managers needed had to increase.

The masters created a moral code enforced (not by overseers) but by an all seeing all knowing God who would punish sinners. Thus the workers worked, Gods oversaw, and the masters lived in luxury.

Much like it is today.

Ratty

New Post! February 18, 2017 @ 07:11:19 am
Lies are said to be the "social lubricant", wonder if there is any merit to that?????????

Ratty

New Post! February 24, 2017 @ 07:27:33 am
Sometimes wonder about "social lubricant"

LOL

Erimitus

New Post! February 24, 2017 @ 08:04:23 am
@Ratty Said

Sometimes wonder about "social lubricant"

LOL

Indeed...

We would not want to chafe any surfaces in mutual contact.

I (of course) deceive my self on a regular basis. It gets me through the day. The last thing I want to experience are the frictions of reality.

I suppose that some friction is necessary.

Pages: << · 1 2
Quote | Reply