Seafood and Plastic

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#1New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 01:37:38
Mmmmm... plastic

Quote:
eafood eaters ingest up to 11,000 tiny pieces of plastic every year with dozens of particles becoming embedded in tissues, scientists have warned, in findings described as 'sobering' by the Prince of Wales.

Quote:
And they say the amount of plastic absorbed will only get worse as pollution in the oceans increases, a finding described by the Prince of Wales as ‘sobering.’ The Prince has previously described micro-particles as 'grey goo.'

Quote:
The Prince of Wales said: “I find it sobering to think that almost all the plastic ever produced is still here somewhere on the planet in one form or another and will remain here for centuries to come, possibly thousands of years.”

Quote:
There are more than five trillion pieces of microplastic in the world's oceans and the equivalent of one rubbish truck of plastic waste is being added to the sea every minute.

And of course all of the unknowns of having this plastic embedded in our tissues.

I'm now less inclined to eat seafood.
Mankysparrow On April 26, 2017

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 08:07:41
always glad I'm a vegetarian when I read story's like this.
Magically Delicious

#3New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 08:10:44
@Mankysparrow Said

always glad I'm a vegetarian when I read story's like this.

To be honest I can see why. I'm not a vegetarian and am unlikely to become one anytime soon but stuff like this is scary.

I'll not be looking at seafood the same way. No pun intended.
Mankysparrow On April 26, 2017

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 08:36:20
@LuckyCharms Said

To be honest I can see why. I'm not a vegetarian and am unlikely to become one anytime soon but stuff like this is scary.

I'll not be looking at seafood the same way. No pun intended.

I don't preach to other people about it, it's up to them what they eat, personally I don't trust meat and fish, what with all the growth hormones and stuff, I'm sure it contributes to obesity, my son was talking to a bloke who used to work in a slaughter house, was telling him about all the (fun) they had, will not go into details but I refuse to eat it, it's cruel.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 12:33:47
@Mankysparrow Said

I don't preach to other people about it, it's up to them what they eat, personally I don't trust meat and fish, what with all the growth hormones and stuff, I'm sure it contributes to obesity, my son was talking to a bloke who used to work in a slaughter house, was telling him about all the (fun) they had, will not go into details but I refuse to eat it, it's cruel.

Do you try to stick to non-GMOs and "organics"?

I'm not too worried about the GMOs, but I wonder about the pesticides and fertilizers.

Some of that stuff is a lot more expensive, but how do you argue with your spouse about cost over health ....
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 12:38:28
@LuckyCharms Said

Mmmmm... plastic

And of course all of the unknowns of having this plastic embedded in our tissues.

I'm now less inclined to eat seafood.

It didn't indicate if it was a problem in farm-raised seafood.
Magically Delicious

#7New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 12:48:44
@mrmhead Said

It didn't indicate if it was a problem in farm-raised seafood.

I'm pretty sure it probably doesn't matter as seafood farm are in the ocean themselves. They have problems as well. But it would be interesting to see the difference between the two.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Jan 27, 2017 @ 15:16:50
I am not surprise this article, how do we know the process, how the fish industries take care of the dead fish.

what is they process to actually clean and use chemically wipe the dead skin to sterile the skin and other part of the body of the fish.

the fishes swimming in pollute water, do you wonder they really clean the fish before packing?

obviously, the fish industries doesn't clean or does clear fishes , but how well?

are you shock that you are eating small plastic pieces in fishes? I am not.
I will think twice when do eat fish again.

last time, I went to a restaurant and eat bass. that I went home and filled up my bath, and swam in it for hours.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs