Gender Issues

Becoming Ugly

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#1New Post! Dec 30, 2016 @ 22:15:23
Becoming Ugly

A good read. And some very insightful and thought provoking stuff. Especially after this year.

Quote:
What we as women are forced to carry—because we’re vulnerable and because we are strong—goes beyond the natural disorder of things. Our suffering is not natural; it’s calculated and insidious—the passing of a bill, the protests of a college football team, the success of an actor, and verdict of a judge.

Quote:
For the first time, I don’t know how to move past my boiling anger or laugh it away. Also for the first time, I have no desire to. Preferable, I now think, is to stop laughing, to become as repulsive as I can in an insult to these men—so many men—who hate women and the women who adulate them.

Quote:
... a woman’s life, beginning to end, is filled with violence. We’re born, we learn to be afraid, learn to be looked at, learn to be quiet, we bleed, we give birth, we age, we’re forgotten, and then we die. So much of what we encounter—marriage, raising children—is meant to hold us painfully still. Those who don’t offer gratitude for this stillness or choose to take control of their own movement—by living openly trans, by loving other women, by seizing autonomy with birth control pills, IUDs, or abortions—are punished, sometimes quietly and other times deafeningly.

Quote:
Women, though not always “good,” have always been nice. And look where it’s gotten us. Stripped of our rights, degraded, and still under the thumb of men. At no point in history has humanity as a whole been nice, so why should I? There’s no longer a place for pleasantness, not publicly anyway. Now is a time for fury and force—a time for guarding the few things we do have (our perseverance, our bodies, each other) because they’re so at risk and so, so precious.

Quote:
In my own small world, I hug the men I love, tell them I trust them, and thank them for being good when it’s so easy to be selfish. But I also have to remember that everyone in their secret histories has made some transgression against women, just as I—in my whiteness, my relative economic comfort, my blind spots, and areas of ignorance—have surely offended and impeded someone else.

It is very important, now more than ever, to shove off complacency - stillness - or whatever you want to call it.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#2New Post! Dec 30, 2016 @ 23:11:37
Viva la revelucion
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Dec 30, 2016 @ 23:31:21
I really wasn't sure what I read of this article in this topic.

I read most of the article, i got confused by it. I understand why the women had to defend herself, since no one was going to help, especially in this party that she attend.

I am not surprise that the men at this party would defend to said something to this man, who grabbing her. the men just stand there did nothing for her. she punch in the nuts to tell him " no! "

I respect her for that, what the men did is immature, to nothing is wrong. I didn't see age groups of these men and an woman. I will assume under 35 years.

after the fact, men didn't help her, she defend herself. it prove that men don't want to get involve, because they are scare one thing or another. or, they don't get involve, because it is the " norm " thing that men do in the society.

women can blame men, their lack of courage or " yellow steak " going down their backs. I blame society not men to keep up with the times.
Magically Delicious

#4New Post! Dec 31, 2016 @ 19:46:55
@twilitezone911 Said

women can blame men, their lack of courage or " yellow steak " going down their backs. I blame society not men to keep up with the times.

What we teach both men and women is erroneous. But in the end, for things to alter the only thing we can do is examine not only our own behavior but others as well.

We are taught by society, but for the corrections to be made it is not about blame but instead responsibility. We must all take responsibility for our actions and attitudes. Otherwise it's like saying "just following orders" without analyzing or understanding our role in it.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#5New Post! Dec 31, 2016 @ 19:52:47
This was a good read. There is a lot to unpack in there.
Magically Delicious

#6New Post! Dec 31, 2016 @ 19:59:57
@DiscordTiger Said

This was a good read. There is a lot to unpack in there.

Yes there is. On many levels. I had a hard time selecting the quotes. I actually wanted to include the beginning with her reaction to their assaults and the subsequent result of it.

And it is still true - men are given a pass and women are judged harshly. For the same behaviors. And as we saw in this election, the man was given a pass for much worse behavior while the woman was persecuted relentlessly for far less.

I am glad to see articles like this - ones that articulate the realities, the discrepancies, the real hypocrisies.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs