Forums:
Business & Money

Young, Dumb, and in Need of Advice

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
EmilyPearl9802 On January 17, 2017

Indy, Indiana
#1New Post! Dec 13, 2016 @ 19:21:11
So...I walked out of a job a couple days ago...

Dogs are my passion. I've been wanting to be a professional groomer for roughly 7 years now. I used to groom in my garage. That's how I learned all the stuff I already know. Anyway, I moved to a new city almost 2 months ago, and got a job 2 weeks ago at a "large pet retail chain" as a dog bather. I was so excited in the beginning. Did my online training, passed with flying colors, etc. It wasn't until the 2nd day of actually being in the salon that I freaked out and left.
I mainly blame my anxiety, but I have enough job experience that I know when it just isn't gonna work out. No one would help me. No one would put me to work. I would literally stand there doing nothing until a stylist asked me to bathe a dog.
What actually cut it was this: I was trimming a dog's nails, and when he was done, one of the other girls was like, "Ok, go ahead and page the owner", who was waiting in the store. I did, and not even a minute later, a lady walks in, and I assumed it was her dog! So, I open the little door thing and bring the dog to her. She just kinda stands there. I say, "He's really sweet!". She says nothing. Then the salon manager barks at me(no pun intended) to not take the dogs out until the pet parent gets there!! I look at the lady and say, "You're not....?" She just shakes her head(with a rude expression, mind you). At this point, it's taking everything I have not to cry. I bring the dog back and just stand there with him for what felt like forever. The lady finally shows up, I hand the dog off to her, and literally just leave. Grabbed my jacket, said nothing, and left.
It didn't occur to me until like, the next day, that I'm gonna have a week's worth paycheck there on Friday. It's going to be unbelievably awkward to go in there and get it, but....I don't have much of a choice, right?? I mean, they might mail it, but am I willing to risk that?
On another note, I still want to be a groomer, but I'm going to go into the pet business for myself. Have my own grooming/boarding/sitting business.
It was a strange decision, but I believe it was for the best. I could tell no one there liked me(for whatever reason...), and I've learned co-workers make or break your happiness at a job.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Dec 13, 2016 @ 21:04:56
Shake it off & go get your pay. If they ask for anything beyond that just tell them you'll send your exit interview to the corporate office. Try not to let others ruin your life. Let them make faces & press on. Once you've gotten more experience under your belt by all means follow your dream & push your self to own your business. Then you can show people the proper way to work with both animal & human!
Commander4th On May 31, 2021

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 13, 2016 @ 21:09:44
You've made all these plans and probably have had dreams of how great things are going to go for you and how you're going to build up your own successful business, unfortunately this is real life and real life doesn't always work out the way we want it to.

You found a job doing something you really enjoy and on your 2nd day you make a mistake and walk out................. firstly read the title of this thread again, it will tell you what you need to know.

Secondly if you're after advice, go back to this dog salon and ask for your job back, explain you panicked or whatever you need to do to get your job back, if this really is what you want to do in the future then this could get you the experience and contacts you're going to need to set you up in the future to maybe owning your own one day.
Leez On May 07, 2017

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 00:01:51
If you blame your anxiety, may be get some help on that side otherwise you may not able to have a steady job. If owning a business is your main objective, start facing the reality by dealing with all the pros and cons which come with a job.
Being self employed is harder than these trivial things at a work place.
It would be best that you continue with your job and gain more skills / work ethics - useful in setting up a business later.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 00:30:47
i suggest the same thing ask for your job back, and explain to the owner. don't a lot of job experience and just panic and you need the job.

ask the owner that you might not be ready for a full time job, maybe you can work in the back of the store and take less responsible at first. less hours at start. until you get confidence in yourself, and the owner feel that handle more responsible.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#6New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 03:18:35
Firstly I have not encountered you before.

But that aside, I have to go with the majority here and say try to get your job back. And me being me, if I walked out of a job like that I would not even contemplate seeking to get my pay because I would feel pretty bad. Truth be told, if they offered it to me I still wouldn't take it... but, that's just me

Sadly, life sucks sometimes, and we can get a bit of a shock when we find out that other people do not place the importance on us that we do. But, that's life. If you can't deal with people who think they are more important than you or who are just plain rude you will struggle to succeed as an employee or in your own business. There is a lot of rude people in the world, and all of us are rude at times.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#7New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 06:22:44
Can you go into business completely for yourself? If you are dead set on having your own pet sitting and grooming business, register yourself as a sole proprietor and hit the pavement getting leads for your business. A website is easy to set up, I think your biggest hurdle would be equipment if you don't have what you need already. Rover.com and other pet apps, craigslist, fliers, a referral program, etc. will all be your friend.

If you do need a job, get one with a boutique grooming service and stay away from the Petsmarts/Petco's of the world. Also ask in your next interview what the atmosphere is like, if ownership or whoever you work with will take on the mentorship role. This seems like something that's pretty important to you.

Many workplaces (corporate in particular) have very disorganized training processes. You can't sit around and wait for someone to show/tell you what to do, you need to be more proactive with "hey manager, this is my first day - can you please walk me through what a typical day is?" or "hey manager, I'm confused about what I should be doing. Do you think I can shadow you on my first shift and learn the ropes?"

Good luck on your next venture, I agree just pick up your paycheck and move on.
Mankysparrow On April 26, 2017

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 08:07:18
have you thought of this, maybe those woman are older than you or maybe not as pretty? sometimes that's all it takes for them to be nasty to you. other than wearing a bag over your head lol, imo you need to grow a back bone, I'm not being rude when I say that but there are allot of b****y people in this world , you have to find a way to deal with them. remember no one is better than you, and you can achieve what you want to achieve in this life, but I'm afraid you have to tread on a few heads on the way up. if you worry about what others think of you all the time, you'll never get anywhere.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 10:37:13
@EmilyPearl9802 Said

So...I walked out of a job a couple days ago...

Dogs are my passion. I've been wanting to be a professional groomer for roughly 7 years now. I used to groom in my garage. That's how I learned all the stuff I already know. Anyway, I moved to a new city almost 2 months ago, and got a job 2 weeks ago at a "large pet retail chain" as a dog bather. I was so excited in the beginning. Did my online training, passed with flying colors, etc. It wasn't until the 2nd day of actually being in the salon that I freaked out and left.
I mainly blame my anxiety, but I have enough job experience that I know when it just isn't gonna work out. No one would help me. No one would put me to work. I would literally stand there doing nothing until a stylist asked me to bathe a dog.
What actually cut it was this: I was trimming a dog's nails, and when he was done, one of the other girls was like, "Ok, go ahead and page the owner", who was waiting in the store. I did, and not even a minute later, a lady walks in, and I assumed it was her dog! So, I open the little door thing and bring the dog to her. She just kinda stands there. I say, "He's really sweet!". She says nothing. Then the salon manager barks at me(no pun intended) to not take the dogs out until the pet parent gets there!! I look at the lady and say, "You're not....?" She just shakes her head(with a rude expression, mind you). At this point, it's taking everything I have not to cry. I bring the dog back and just stand there with him for what felt like forever. The lady finally shows up, I hand the dog off to her, and literally just leave. Grabbed my jacket, said nothing, and left.
It didn't occur to me until like, the next day, that I'm gonna have a week's worth paycheck there on Friday. It's going to be unbelievably awkward to go in there and get it, but....I don't have much of a choice, right?? I mean, they might mail it, but am I willing to risk that?
On another note, I still want to be a groomer, but I'm going to go into the pet business for myself. Have my own grooming/boarding/sitting business.
It was a strange decision, but I believe it was for the best. I could tell no one there liked me(for whatever reason...), and I've learned co-workers make or break your happiness at a job.

Hey, it's your pay that you earned. Yes it will be a bit awkward simply bec ause they will try to play like you walked and left t5hem hanging . When you get there remember the ' barking' salon manager pun intended . if anyone says or hints anything just grin at the barker take your check at turn your back . It's their loss , not yours .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs