The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

The Royal Couple Are Visiting Vancouver!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#1New Post! Sep 25, 2016 @ 18:40:35
I'm not too sure whether to put this in News or Politics, but whatever! The Royal Couple are visiting British Columbia!!!

Royal Visit: Day 2

Normally, I'm not too interested in the Royal Family, but when they're coming to visit your province and city, you can't really help but get caught up in the hype. They were on the island yesterday in Victoria and now they're over here in the mainland. One of the main purposes of their visit is to meet with First Nations elders and leaders in different communities as well as vital social services to the city. The really amazing part about the trip however, is one of their first official stops in Vancouver...

@CBC. ca Said
The royal tour of British Columbia continued today as Prince William and Kate arrived in Vancouver by float plane just before 11 a.m. for a public appearance at Jack Poole Plaza.

From there, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will make their way to Sheway, an organization on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside that provides support to women who are pregnant or parenting and are dealing with drug and alcohol issues.

That's right... the Royal Couple, easily two of the most influential people in the world today... are going to be visiting... my mom's work... Awesome!

My mom personally was asked to read a story for the couple and some clients and their kids. That's so cool! She's been so excited for this day, ever since they (Sheway) found out. They had to keep it all hush-hush for the longest time because they couldn't risk a leak in information or a possible security risk. Sheway is located in the DTES (Downtown Eastside) of Vancouver, which is widely considered one of the more dangerous areas in Canada in terms of crime, violence and drug use, so the less prior to the announcement, the better.

For those who don't know, Sheway is an outreach... no, that's not right... They're more of a medical clinic that... actually, they do more than that too... The best way I can describe Sheway is that it's an important hub in the DTES, providing invaluable support for pregnant, at-risk women and children. Those with drug addictions, those struggling to stay above the poverty line, those without access to proper medical treatments, those who need housing, food and clothing. They've got daycare services, 4 different doctors on-call, housing on the upper floors, food and clothing for those who need it, as well as diapers, formula and other baby necessities. They offer grief counseling when someone loses a child or if they're in danger of using if they've been clean for a while. And sadly, too many times has Sheway served as a safe haven for clients that're trying to escape/hide from their abusive partners. In short, Sheway does everything they can to make life easier and less painful for the people who've gotten the worst out of life and who are normally just ignored and forgotten. They don't ignore or forget; they welcome you with open arms, a smile on their faces and a loving hug.

Sheway: There needs to be one in every city. And now they're finally getting the recognition that they so rightfully deserve.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#2New Post! Sep 25, 2016 @ 19:12:46
Wow... Global BC mentioned Sheway twice, but didn't go into any detail over what they do or what they're about. Nice...

At least CBC is explaining everything in better detail.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Sep 25, 2016 @ 21:06:17
Cool for your mom . I bet you're proud of her .
Funky-Footed Skunk

#4New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 02:32:25
@white_swan53 Said

Cool for your mom . I bet you're proud of her .

I am for sure. I'm equally happy that Sheway is getting some well-deserved attention as well. We need more places like that in the world.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 02:41:52
@psycoskunk Said

I am for sure. I'm equally happy that Sheway is getting some well-deserved attention as well. We need more places like that in the world.

I agree.
It sounds like it can handle any issue that a community may have . I don't know if our communities could get it together and agree on any one thing long enough to get it up and running.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 04:38:24
Glad to hear your mum is enjoying the happy event.

I presented flowers to Princess Anne when I was 9. She came to Greenwich to re-open the statue of General Wolfe (the one who took Quebec) in Greenwich Park after it had been restored and as a part of her tour of the area she visited my school (among other places). Greenwich is a Royal Borough and because of this, civic events are usually attended by somebody fairly senior in "The Firm".

When she came into the school hall, I was given my cue, stepped forward, gave my best curtsey and held out the posy. She was really nice and thanked me for the flowers, saying they were beautiful. She asked me what I liked to do best in school. I can't remember what I told her but she thanked me for the flowers again, I curtsied again and went back to my place. My mum still has the photo of the event and has even kept the red, white and blue ribbons I wore in my hair that day. Mums eh..? What are they like..? LOL.

It's always nice to know that the Royals are so welcomed wherever they go. William will make a good King, I think, and Kate is a far better Royal consort than Diana ever was. Not so full of herself and far more aware of her role.... and prepared to stick to her place in the scheme of things, too.

As for the visit to Canada..... Of course, the Royals can't be overtly political, but the mere fact of a visit to First Nation Elders gives them.... and whatever claims they may have... a certain level of endorsement from the Head of State.... and the publicity attached to the visit does them no harm either. Whatever else though, there can be no denying that such visits are constructive to social unity and invariably bring a "feel good factor" to wherever they go.

We saw the news item of George being rather naughty at the airport. Not shaking the Prime Minister's hand..!! How rude..!! Still, we have to forgive him, he must have been tired from a long trip and probably a little jet lagged. And he is only six years old. Bless.

I hope BC addresses First Nation concerns. I admit, I don't know what they are, but Canada has never struck me as being the sort of country that rides roughshod over ethnic matters. If a Royal visit (patronage..?) helps to move things along the right road, then it's all to the good.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Sep 26, 2016 @ 05:29:34
even princess diane got married, queen Elizabeth celebrate her 90th birthday, or even this event.

I guess being in America, we celebrate things like this. we celebrate super bowl or world series champions, their towns give parades.

in Europe, do with royal, it is a big deal. I would kate and William give a cookie each , and tell them paint the town.

it seen so much of big deal to world, where the royal family goes, more than important where Obama and his family goes to McDonalds to get a happy meal.

even in America, we find the royal family fascinating, why to we watch them on news on tv or internet.

personally, I wasn't so exciting that the pope came to st. louis years ago. I saw the pope in the pope mobile speed up and down my street twice. that boy can move fast in that car. I could barely see him.

my neighbors in my apartment building came out on our porch, about 20 of us sat or watched the pope mobile fly by us. I thought it complete boring. but it was supposedly historical in the news. because this second that the pope visited the usa.

I think kate is pretty good looking and nice body look at. that about it for me. it is nice that royal family visit Vancouver. I don't think kate and William will visit skunky, because of his death threats to them.

skunky threat William and kate, skunky sent them three pairs of socks that he wore for six months. his mother said to skunky, he need to change socks every day, she never told him to wash them.

mi-5, fbi, and cia is closely watching or smelling him out from the crowds. all three organizations are glad that he lived in Canada. not in the uk or America. skunky, I almost attempt turn you in to the authorizes.

i will not call the authorizes, under on condition, that is:

keep stinky feet off of your computer's screensaver, this is six pair of glasses, I had wore this month alone. your sneaky feet, keep melting my glasses , when I reading you damn posts. put your feet down now, sucker!!

why is the world always been so fascinating by the royal family all these years?
Funky-Footed Skunk

#8New Post! Sep 27, 2016 @ 19:02:56
@white_swan53 Said

I agree.
It sounds like it can handle any issue that a community may have . I don't know if our communities could get it together and agree on any one thing long enough to get it up and running.

A lot of it is just funding. Sheway is practically a non-profit. My mom and the other workers are paid by government funding and Vancouver Native Health and the majority of the food, toys, clothing, baby supplies, etc... are by donation. So long as there'd be a willingness to fund a place like Sheway and there were dedicated volunteers and staff willing to put in the effort to help, it would probably work anywhere.

@Jennifer1984 Said

Glad to hear your mum is enjoying the happy event.

I presented flowers to Princess Anne when I was 9. She came to Greenwich to re-open the statue of General Wolfe (the one who took Quebec) in Greenwich Park after it had been restored and as a part of her tour of the area she visited my school (among other places). Greenwich is a Royal Borough and because of this, civic events are usually attended by somebody fairly senior in "The Firm".

When she came into the school hall, I was given my cue, stepped forward, gave my best curtsey and held out the posy. She was really nice and thanked me for the flowers, saying they were beautiful. She asked me what I liked to do best in school. I can't remember what I told her but she thanked me for the flowers again, I curtsied again and went back to my place. My mum still has the photo of the event and has even kept the red, white and blue ribbons I wore in my hair that day. Mums eh..? What are they like..? LOL.

It's always nice to know that the Royals are so welcomed wherever they go. William will make a good King, I think, and Kate is a far better Royal consort than Diana ever was. Not so full of herself and far more aware of her role.... and prepared to stick to her place in the scheme of things, too.

As for the visit to Canada..... Of course, the Royals can't be overtly political, but the mere fact of a visit to First Nation Elders gives them.... and whatever claims they may have... a certain level of endorsement from the Head of State.... and the publicity attached to the visit does them no harm either. Whatever else though, there can be no denying that such visits are constructive to social unity and invariably bring a "feel good factor" to wherever they go.

We saw the news item of George being rather naughty at the airport. Not shaking the Prime Minister's hand..!! How rude..!! Still, we have to forgive him, he must have been tired from a long trip and probably a little jet lagged. And he is only six years old. Bless.

I hope BC addresses First Nation concerns. I admit, I don't know what they are, but Canada has never struck me as being the sort of country that rides roughshod over ethnic matters. If a Royal visit (patronage..?) helps to move things along the right road, then it's all to the good.

I wouldn't say Diana was 'full of herself.' More like she just wanted to do her own thing outside of the Monarchy. Instead of just going to ceremonies and events, she wanted to do things with the people, to try and help them out. I'd like to think if Diana were still alive, she would've loved the concept of Sheway too.

In any case, in part with the meeting of the First Nations elders, one of the lesser/non-reported reasons why they met with them was to, ironically, apologize to the elders for the role that early British, Welsh and other European settlers played in tricking the Natives into selling their land and for the hundreds of years of mistreatment after the fact. To my knowledge, this marks only the 2nd time that a member of the Royal Family has visited British Columbia and only the 1st time that they apologized and attempted to reconcile. Not that Canada hasn't trampled over First Nations rights over the years or anything (Residential Schools, etc...), but before Canada was officially established, it was all mostly European settlers living on the East Coast. So, there's that...

Supposedly the kids were left at the government house in Victoria when they visited Vancouver, which was definitely a good thing, because the DTES is definitely too scary for a 6-year old. Even though they 'cleaned' up Hastings and the nearby streets to make them look presentable, there were still people using in the alleys and the other streets, among other things. There's a reason why it's considered one of the roughest neighbourhoods in North America.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 28, 2016 @ 04:39:13
@twilitezone911 Said

why is the world always been so fascinating by the royal family all these years?

We often find ourselves asking this very question, Twilite. It is a bit of an enigma, isn't it..?

Their detractors say that Royalty is an anachronism... something from a bygone era that has no relevance in the modern world. Some call them parasites, living in outrageous opulence off the taxpayer. Some say they are undemocratic because they have not been elected, but come by their position by accident of birth.

To a degree each of those arguments could have some substance. But we love them just the same.

As far as the British are concerned, the history of Britain IS the history of Monarchy. It has been the very foundation stone of our development as a nation since the Romans left nearly 2000 years ago. It was King Alfred the Great who united the tribes of Brittania and founded the country of England as a nation state. He and others, over a period of time, developed our legal state. The medieval kings were responsible for defending the country from invasion.

When a Head of State is elected it is possible for some to argue "Well, I didn't vote for him". That argument can't apply to a monarch because NOBODY votes for them.

Oh, we've tried to be a Republic. Charles I was executed (beheading) after the English Civil War, but Democracy was overthrown by a dictator (Oliver Cromwell) and after he died, the monarchy was restored because it was decided that an unelected King, at the head of a strong elected Parliament, was better than a despot oppressing Parliament at the point of a sword.

There have been good Kings and Queens and bad ones too. We've had conflicts over religion and beaten off multiple threats of invasion. We've had Kings who couldn't even speak English and some who were more concerned with which of their mistresses they were going to sleep with tonight rather than run the country.

But over time, the wrinkles have been sorted out and what the monarchy has evolved into is a figurehead. An emblem. The symbols of State - The Crown, The Orb and The Sceptre - are the artifacts that represent the authority by which Parliament sits and laws are made, etc. But by themselves they would mean nothing. There must be a head to wear the Crown and hands to hold the orb and sceptre. This is what the Monarch does. The Monarch is the physical embodiment of the authority of State. One cannot exist without the other.

We had an Empire once, you know. That has evolved now into The Commonwealth, which is better. As an Empire, the countries that Britain ruled over had no choice. They were ruled by force and were subservient to the Crown. Now they a part of the Commonwealth because they want to be, and are equal partners. It is to everybody's mutual advantage that we live in respect and friendship with each other. That too is represented by Elizabeth II.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have lived my life so far in the reign of a just and wise monarch. One who is compassionate, humble and sees it as her mission in life to serve her people..... a job she has carried out magnificently for longer than any other monarch in our history.

I believe there is no more respected statesperson on the planet. She is genuinely loved.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Sep 28, 2016 @ 05:43:07
@Jennifer1984 Said

We often find ourselves asking this very question, Twilite. It is a bit of an enigma, isn't it..?

Their detractors say that Royalty is an anachronism... something from a bygone era that has no relevance in the modern world. Some call them parasites, living in outrageous opulence off the taxpayer. Some say they are undemocratic because they have not been elected, but come by their position by accident of birth.

To a degree each of those arguments could have some substance. But we love them just the same.

As far as the British are concerned, the history of Britain IS the history of Monarchy. It has been the very foundation stone of our development as a nation since the Romans left nearly 2000 years ago. It was King Alfred the Great who united the tribes of Brittania and founded the country of England as a nation state. He and others, over a period of time, developed our legal state. The medieval kings were responsible for defending the country from invasion.

When a Head of State is elected it is possible for some to argue "Well, I didn't vote for him". That argument can't apply to a monarch because NOBODY votes for them.

Oh, we've tried to be a Republic. Charles I was executed (beheading) after the English Civil War, but Democracy was overthrown by a dictator (Oliver Cromwell) and after he died, the monarchy was restored because it was decided that an unelected King, at the head of a strong elected Parliament, was better than a despot oppressing Parliament at the point of a sword.

There have been good Kings and Queens and bad ones too. We've had conflicts over religion and beaten off multiple threats of invasion. We've had Kings who couldn't even speak English and some who were more concerned with which of their mistresses they were going to sleep with tonight rather than run the country.

But over time, the wrinkles have been sorted out and what the monarchy has evolved into is a figurehead. An emblem. The symbols of State - The Crown, The Orb and The Sceptre - are the artifacts that represent the authority by which Parliament sits and laws are made, etc. But by themselves they would mean nothing. There must be a head to wear the Crown and hands to hold the orb and sceptre. This is what the Monarch does. The Monarch is the physical embodiment of the authority of State. One cannot exist without the other.

We had an Empire once, you know. That has evolved now into The Commonwealth, which is better. As an Empire, the countries that Britain ruled over had no choice. They were ruled by force and were subservient to the Crown. Now they a part of the Commonwealth because they want to be, and are equal partners. It is to everybody's mutual advantage that we live in respect and friendship with each other. That too is represented by Elizabeth II.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have lived my life so far in the reign of a just and wise monarch. One who is compassionate, humble and sees it as her mission in life to serve her people..... a job she has carried out magnificently for longer than any other monarch in our history.

I believe there is no more respected statesperson on the planet. She is genuinely loved.

more information that I did not know, but interesting.

I can't remember why we had this discussion about the royal family bloodline at work. I think because the royal wedding of Diana and Charles at time.

uk folks has to wonder why Diana that was pretty Goodling married to Charles. I am said that his nose is soo big, the place didn't a vacuum cleaner. pick Charles up and turn him over and use his nose to vacuum the place. I am Charles's nose is big, London airport inside it.

( twilite, that not nice what you said about Charles. yes, his nose so big, because the air free. yes, children think Charles is the tallest anteater ever saw. Charles is snob, and lift nose in the air, and planes have fly around his nose. )

Jennifer and all uk folks for forgiven talking about Charles like that. I heard that Charles goes to the English channel, and laid down in the water. his nose is so big, that American and English citizens doesn't need planes to fly over the atlantic ocean. they walked back and forth on his nose.

( twilite, is enough! what you mean 1934 or when they made " king kong " that were going to make in London. there were going use Charles's nose in the famous scene. you know that scene, king kong was going carry faye ray on his nose to fight the planes. twilite, not inside his nose, that's disgusting, what if he sneeze, yuugh! )but at last minute, charles had a head cold, so they had to filmed the movie in new York.

Jennifer, at work, we had long discussion about your royal family's blue blood. how you know all want about " keep in the family ".

you first cousin married Diana, and her mother married the Diana's family horse. I am sorry Charles's father. Charles father was not to good looking. ( twilite, you mean the photo of Charles's parents are so ugly, that they look like twins, or a bad car accident. )

Charles married someone who was outside the family. ( twilite, we saw the royal family picture, they look like they were brothers and sisters. twilite, not really fair, and said the royal family could relate to e.t. ) I think Charles's female family members, who win first, second, and third prize at westmister dog show every year. ( twilite, stop barking at the photo on the internet of royal family. )

when you have blue blood in the royal family, what they have done in the past. in usa, they would get arrest for that for a long time.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs