Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#16New Post! Jul 05, 2015 @ 04:53:18
In addition to wine, I'm also learning the importance of being clear and concise, and where better to start than with a post from this person.

@Jennifer1984 Said

A scenario about the danger of listening to false science leading to scaremongering happened here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/timeline-how-the-andrew-wakefield-mmr-vaccine-scare-story-spread-8570591.html Timeline Of How The Scare Story Spread

The MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine, commonly known as 'Trips' is intended to immunise children for all three diseases, but a report issued by gastroentologist Andrew Wakefield claimed that MMR was linked to Autism and bowel disorders, leading to many parents refusing to have their children immunised.

The Story Behind The MMR Scaremongering

The findings were challenged but aided by lurid stories, many continued to believe it. By 2006, outbreaks of measles occurred, and in April, a child died.

The findings found to be erroneous. Andrew Wakefield was disgraced; his reputation destroyed. But the damage had been done. Today, Trips is trusted and the program is established.

But it is sobering how easily fears inserted into the public consciousness can lead to tragedy.

I don't know if the vaccine being introduced in California is effective, but I hope that no families suffer tragedy because they didn't give it to their children.

Good luck.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jul 05, 2015 @ 09:17:08
@boxer Said

In addition to wine, I'm also learning the importance of being clear and concise, and where better to start than with a post from this person.

Ahhh, wine. A wonderful gift to humankind. We have excellent French wines in our wine rack.

Amanda is quite fond of wine from the Burgundy region and she knows a lot about such things that go a bit over my head. But it is jolly nice.

For my part, I quite like Sauternes. Golden nectar. Perhaps the best of the "well known" champagnes is Moet et Chandon Dom Perignon. It's very commonplace but somehow they manage to make it great every year.

Of course, to be called champagne, it must be made with grapes from the Champagne region. One of the most sensible Appelation Controlees in my opinion.

I love French wine. Even the common vin de pays are very drinkable.

We don't have the weather here to grow good wine grapes, I'm sorry to say, but hey-ho, you can't have everything.

Oh goodness.... there I go again.... rattling on. Tut @ me..!! <slaps own wrist>
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#18New Post! Jul 05, 2015 @ 13:47:20
FIFY

@Jennifer1984 Said

Ahhh, wine. A gift to humankind. We have French wines in our rack.

Amanda is fond of wine from the Burgundy region and she knows a lot about things that go over my head. But it is nice.

I like Sauternes. Perhaps the best of champagnes is Moet et Chandon Dom Perignon. It's commonplace but they manage to make it great every year.

To be called champagne, it must be made with grapes from the Champagne region. One of the sensible Appelation Controlees in my opinion.

I love French wine. Even the vin de pays are drinkable.

I'm sorry to say, we don't have the weather here to grow wine grapes,

Oh goodness.... there I go again.... rattling on. Tut @ me..!! <slaps own wrist>
TenaciousDave On February 11, 2022
The Anus Of Satan

Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunchbox,
#19New Post! Jul 07, 2015 @ 08:30:16
@Leon Said

https://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_28407108/gov-jerry-brown-signs-californias-new-vaccine-bill

Contrary to belief of some, this law does NOT require all kids get vaccinated, so those who believe that vaccination causes more harm than good (even if these beliefs go against overwhelming study by medical researchers) can breathe a sigh of relief if they thought otherwise.

The law merely states that if you don't want to vaccinate your child you must make the choice of home schooling your child.

In other words, it prevents you from putting other children in danger. This is the most basic role of government - to enact legislation that protects people who make bad decisions from harming others due to the bad decisions they make.

I think this is a great such law, and commend Governor Brown for signing it.

The Anus Of Satan

#20New Post! Jul 07, 2015 @ 08:31:11
@Jennifer1984 Said

A real life scenario about the danger of listening to false science which leads to newspaper scaremongering happened here in 1998.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/timeline-how-the-andrew-wakefield-mmr-vaccine-scare-story-spread-8570591.html Timeline Of How The Scare Story Spread

The MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine, commonly known as 'Trips' is intended to immunise children for all three diseases with one vaccine but a report issued by a gastroentologist named Andrew Wakefield, who claimed that MMR was linked to Autism and bowel disorders was given massive publicity by the press leading to many parents refusing to have their children immunised.

The Story Behind The MMR Scaremongering

The findings of the Wakefield Report were challenged but aided by lurid press stories, many continued to believe it. By 2006, outbreaks of measles in children across the UK who were not immunised began to occur and in April of that year, the first child died from the disease.

The findings contained in the report were eventually found to be misleading and erroneous. Andrew Wakefield was disgraced and his reputation destroyed. But for many, the damage had been done. Today, Trips is universally trusted in the UK and the immunisation programme is well established.

But it is a sobering tale indeed. How easily groundless fears are inserted into the public consciousness which can lead to tragedy.

I don't know if the vaccine being introduced in California is effective or not. I hope it is. But I hope that no families suffer needless - and preventable - tragedy because they didn't give it to their children for the wrong reasons.

Good luck.

The Anus Of Satan

#21New Post! Jul 07, 2015 @ 08:32:10
@boxer Said

The Anus Of Satan

#22New Post! Jul 07, 2015 @ 08:33:04

I miss trolling you guys.

f*** you!

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#23New Post! Jul 07, 2015 @ 16:06:02

I heard he's leaving Scientology. Which means no more memes.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#24New Post! Jul 07, 2015 @ 16:20:49
@TenaciousDave Said

I miss trolling you guys.

f*** you!

And next time do it at a time other than 2 AM so at least Fred can do this in your face.
The Anus Of Satan

#25New Post! Jul 24, 2015 @ 00:08:30
@Leon Said

I heard he's leaving Scientology. Which means no more memes.

You've been reading Star magazine again, haven't you? lol

He'll never leave Scientology. Tom is David Miscavige's b****. Always has been , always will be.
The Anus Of Satan

#26New Post! Jul 24, 2015 @ 00:09:37
@Leon Said

And next time do it at a time other than 2 AM so at least Fred can do this in your face.

Well, I'm here now. You're online... I'm online.
BRING IT, MOTHERf***ER! [smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb441/darkprinzessin/My%20gif%20collection/tumblr_ljdfkba5Dt1qfmk2c.gif">
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#27New Post! Jul 24, 2015 @ 23:24:27
@TenaciousDave Said

Well, I'm here now. You're online... I'm online.
BRING IT, MOTHERf***ER! [smile]https://i.tfster.com/cache/i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb441/darkprinzessin/My%20gif%20collection/tumblr_ljdfkba5Dt1qfmk2c.gif">

Damn, I didn't see you.

I was only on for one second to make a quick reply and then went on to fantasy football mock drafts the rest of the hour or so.

Oh well, I'll just wait until next month when you make your appearance.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs