because you never
know what's at the
end of the tunnel.

- don rickles
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#47New Post! May 08, 2017 @ 17:31:32
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, "No, you move."

-Mark Millar
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#48New Post! May 09, 2017 @ 11:05:30
@mrmhead Said

So now all they have to do is copy-and-paste from Hitler's profile to Trump's.

It seems he must have convinced Teresa May because she's endlessly repeating her mantra over and over at every camera in sight. Any interview with our electioneering Prime Minister might well go something like this:

TM: "Only I can give you strong and stable leadership. I'm strong and I'm stable."

Interviewer: "Really, Prime Minister? But what about all those U turns? The chaos in the NHS? The way the EU negotiators are walking all over you?"

TM: "Strong. I'm very strong. Very, very strong. Say it with me. Strong, strong, strong."

Int: "You don't sound strong. You sound needy."

TM: That's just me being strong. Can't you see me being strong?"

Int: "Strong people generally don't go around saying how strong they are. We can tell strong people by their actions."

TM: "I think people want to know how strong I am. I am, you know. Strong and stable. I am so strong and stable and I need to get that message over."

Int: "Are you capable of talking about anything else? Like, anything at all? For example, what are your policies for dealing with the plummeting pound and rising inflation?"

TM: (flexing arm). "Here, feel my muscles. That's definition that is.".....

And so on.... and on..... and on......
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#49New Post! May 09, 2017 @ 12:06:25
The comparison of Trump to Hitler is offensive to me. Not because I like Trump (I don't) or because I'm a fan of Hitler (I'm not).
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#50New Post! May 09, 2017 @ 16:19:06
@Eaglebauer Said

The comparison of Trump to Hitler is offensive to me. Not because I like Trump (I don't) or because I'm a fan of Hitler (I'm not).

Hmmm.... I wouldn't compare Trump to Hitler per se. He isn't the only politician to use the "Big Lie" tactic which is commonly associated with Hitler (see my post above about our own Prime Minister).

But it can't be denied that the hint of relative comparison isn't entirely inappropriate when a country is governed by a charismatic, extremist right-wing warmonger who despises liberty and a free press and who blames foreigners for everything.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#51New Post! May 09, 2017 @ 16:48:01
@Jennifer1984 Said

Hmmm.... I wouldn't compare Trump to Hitler per se. He isn't the only politician to use the "Big Lie" tactic which is commonly associated with Hitler (see my post above about our own Prime Minister).

But it can't be denied that the hint of relative comparison isn't entirely inappropriate when a country is governed by a charismatic, extremist right-wing warmonger who despises liberty and a free press and who blames foreigners for everything.

Well, let's be honest.

He isn't all that charismatic...and a lot of conservatives will say he isn't really conservative (that he's a democrat masquerading as a republican). As far as the rest, you're pretty on the mark. All he really is concerned about is the aggrandizement of Donald Trump.

I still don't really like the comparison and I think it's hackneyed at best.

Trump is an example of the republicans sacrificing principle for the sake of victory, and historically when a group does that it ends up with neither.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#52New Post! May 09, 2017 @ 18:55:03
Don't listen to the so-called news..

It's now called 'Fake News'.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#53New Post! May 09, 2017 @ 20:34:50
"Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep."
Sputnik (though Leonard Nemoy quoting Sputnik is even better)

"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they are often not true."
Abraham Lincoln

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
E.B. Hall
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#54New Post! May 10, 2017 @ 00:15:25
@Eaglebauer Said

I still don't really like the comparison and I think it's hackneyed at best.

How 'bout Nixon

crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#55New Post! May 10, 2017 @ 04:21:13
@mrmhead Said

How 'bout Nixon

LBJ might be better. Neither one seemed to have a filter between their brains and their mouths. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if Trump started to talk to the media about "Jumbo" tomorrow.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#56New Post! May 10, 2017 @ 15:52:11
I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, gosh darn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

peter finch - newtork
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs