Forums:
Health & Fitness

Floss

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#1New Post! Jan 18, 2015 @ 16:34:50
This is my confession. I hope my experience will save at least some people from suffering my fate.

I was a terrible flosser. For the almost entirety of my time on this planet I rarely if ever flossed. I brushed. But did not floss.

I am now 44 years old and have to pay $11k to save my teeth. Yes. $11k. Specifically $11,300.00. And if I don't, I will lose my teeth one by one over the course of the next few years. Which will lead to all sorts of nasty and expensive consequences. The irony? I'm one of the lucky ones - I can actually have this procedure done.

Floss. Daily. After every meal.

Save your teeth.

Don't be an arrogant, willful and idiotic fool like I was.

Floss.

If I would have started as few as five years ago, I would not be facing this expensive nightmare.
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Jan 20, 2015 @ 14:20:10
Sage wisdom.
Magically Delicious

#3New Post! Sep 17, 2015 @ 02:25:42
I thought I would update.

It's really been something of a harrowing journey. I am quite serious when I say if someone can learn from my idiocy, then my post here is well served.

It's been almost six months from my surgeries. I ended up getting a second opinion. I am glad I did. Oh don't get me wrong, I still royally f***ed my teeth. But it wasn't quite as expensive and I didn't need quite as much work. Not that I didn't need a lot. Oysh.

I have spent almost $6000 so far. I will probably spend another $1000 for a gum transplant procedure for my lower front teeth. I spend $120 every three months for the periodontal cleaning. That will happen, as far as I can tell, for the rest of my life. Yay. And I'm glad to have it.

I was diagnosed with "pockets" a few years or so ago. If you are ever diagnosed with "pockets" and your periodontist tells you that there is nothing you can do to take care of it, get another periodontist. I wish I had. More on that later.

For the first surgery, I was in the chair for about 3 hours. Actively being worked on for about 2 1/2. I was not allowed to brush by teeth or do any real dental cleaning work - besides wiping my teeth - for three weeks. The surgery for the next side was scheduled for three weeks later. Another three hours in the chair. That meant for another three weeks I could not clean my teeth.

Which meant I ate nothing I could chew. I drank milk, smoothies and swallowed the smallest bites of meat -usually ham - that I could without chewing. For six weeks. It's a good thing I had weight to lose. Not to be too graphic, but I'm not pulling any punches here, I also got to take a few stool softeners or so during that time because the digestive track must move on. Yay. I also lost half of my hair because of stress and lack of protein. That was its own special fun. Gratefully, thankfully I have my hair coming back in.

I hate milk. Yes I do. I drink it three times a day now. Big glasses. I hate milk. I'm grateful for it and will be drinking it for the rest of my life. It's gross. I need it and want it. I don't like it. In general I am on an osteoporosis diet. Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Potassium, Magnesium.... etc. It's tiresome. But hey, at least I get to have peanuts with breakfast.

Headaches. I have them all the time. I'm doing the impossible they say. They being my periodontist, periodontist technician and periodontal hygienist. I'm regrowing - at least that's what seems to be happening - the bone tissue in my jaw. They don't understand how I am not missing four teeth. *knock every frickin' kind of wood that it stays that way*

Aspirin is my friend. I try not to take it more than a couple times a day. I hope that the regrowth process doesn't take more than a year or so. But I am grateful as long as it is going on. It takes what it takes and I go through it willingly and gratefully.

I used to smoke. I drank pretty decently. I didn't get enough calcium. I didn't take care of my teeth.

I have reversed everything to save them. So far I have been lucky in that I have. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't worry that my luck may reverse. My hope is that there comes a day that I get to keep the teeth in my head and they don't cause me pain or discomfort. My reality is that I'll gratefully take this pain and discomfort for the remainder of my days if it means I get to keep my teeth.

Now to the end of this little tidbit... my boss was diagnosed with "pockets" shortly after this whole affair with my teeth began. He began a regiment similar to mine - a good brush, floss, mouthwash after each meal. He shrunk his 8mm pocket to 5mm and similar results for the lesser ones. When I asked my periodontist if there was anything I could do to help the situation he looked me right in the eyes and said "Nothing." So I went with their prescribed treatment, oblivious to my self inflicted damage. All they had to say was "yes, clean your teeth after each time you eat". But they did not. And I did not.

Brush, floss, swish. So easy in retrospect. So expensive not to.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#4New Post! Sep 17, 2015 @ 03:40:53
@LuckyCharms Said

I thought I would update.

It's really been something of a harrowing journey. I am quite serious when I say if someone can learn from my idiocy, then my post here is well served.

It's been almost six months from my surgeries. I ended up getting a second opinion. I am glad I did. Oh don't get me wrong, I still royally f***ed my teeth. But it wasn't quite as expensive and I didn't need quite as much work. Not that I didn't need a lot. Oysh.

I have spent almost $6000 so far. I will probably spend another $1000 for a gum transplant procedure for my lower front teeth. I spend $120 every three months for the periodontal cleaning. That will happen, as far as I can tell, for the rest of my life. Yay. And I'm glad to have it.

I was diagnosed with "pockets" a few years or so ago. If you are ever diagnosed with "pockets" and your periodontist tells you that there is nothing you can do to take care of it, get another periodontist. I wish I had. More on that later.

For the first surgery, I was in the chair for about 3 hours. Actively being worked on for about 2 1/2. I was not allowed to brush by teeth or do any real dental cleaning work - besides wiping my teeth - for three weeks. The surgery for the next side was scheduled for three weeks later. Another three hours in the chair. That meant for another three weeks I could not clean my teeth.

Which meant I ate nothing I could chew. I drank milk, smoothies and swallowed the smallest bites of meat -usually ham - that I could without chewing. For six weeks. It's a good thing I had weight to lose. Not to be too graphic, but I'm not pulling any punches here, I also got to take a few stool softeners or so during that time because the digestive track must move on. Yay. I also lost half of my hair because of stress and lack of protein. That was its own special fun. Gratefully, thankfully I have my hair coming back in.

I hate milk. Yes I do. I drink it three times a day now. Big glasses. I hate milk. I'm grateful for it and will be drinking it for the rest of my life. It's gross. I need it and want it. I don't like it. In general I am on an osteoporosis diet. Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Potassium, Magnesium.... etc. It's tiresome. But hey, at least I get to have peanuts with breakfast.

Headaches. I have them all the time. I'm doing the impossible they say. They being my periodontist, periodontist technician and periodontal hygienist. I'm regrowing - at least that's what seems to be happening - the bone tissue in my jaw. They don't understand how I am not missing four teeth. *knock every frickin' kind of wood that it stays that way*

Aspirin is my friend. I try not to take it more than a couple times a day. I hope that the regrowth process doesn't take more than a year or so. But I am grateful as long as it is going on. It takes what it takes and I go through it willingly and gratefully.

I used to smoke. I drank pretty decently. I didn't get enough calcium. I didn't take care of my teeth.

I have reversed everything to save them. So far I have been lucky in that I have. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't worry that my luck may reverse. My hope is that there comes a day that I get to keep the teeth in my head and they don't cause me pain or discomfort. My reality is that I'll gratefully take this pain and discomfort for the remainder of my days if it means I get to keep my teeth.

Now to the end of this little tidbit... my boss was diagnosed with "pockets" shortly after this whole affair with my teeth began. He began a regiment similar to mine - a good brush, floss, mouthwash after each meal. He shrunk his 8mm pocket to 5mm and similar results for the lesser ones. When I asked my periodontist if there was anything I could do to help the situation he looked me right in the eyes and said "Nothing." So I went with their prescribed treatment, oblivious to my self inflicted damage. All they had to say was "yes, clean your teeth after each time you eat". But they did not. And I did not.

Brush, floss, swish. So easy in retrospect. So expensive not to.

I don't know if you thought about it but have you tried the protein drinks that muscle builders drink? As I age I drink one of the protein drinks everyday.
Magically Delicious

#5New Post! Sep 17, 2015 @ 10:28:07
@restoreone Said

I don't know if you thought about it but have you tried the protein drinks that muscle builders drink? As I age I drink one of the protein drinks everyday.

I wish I'd thought of those during my six week long liquid diet!
Magically Delicious

#6New Post! Dec 31, 2016 @ 22:22:52
It's been just over two years since the first of the three procedures.

I have all my teeth. And when I as at the periodontist she said that it looks like, as long as we continue this regimen of cleaning and oral hygiene, that I get to keep them for the foreseeable future. (Please knock wood with me.)

I'm in great health now though. I've lost tons of weight, my hair looks great, my skin looks great, my teeth even look pretty damn good.

The worst of the long term consequences are the migraines. I had never had migraines before this. Oh sure I'd drank myself into a horrific hangover headache that resembles a migraine, but that's a different conversation. Every three months I go in for a deep periodontal cleaning ($130 per, yay) and I get an awful migraine after it. Ice on the eyes and back of the neck helps.

I eat twice a day, drink one 16 oz glass of milk and have the rest of the calcium from the twice daily vitamin. Every time I eat I still have my strict regimen. The periodontist called it a bit overkill - swish with water, water flosser, brush, interdental, soft pic, floss and mouthwash - but she says since it works, to keep doing it. She would have to tell me it is hurting in order for me to stop at this point.

So yes, after thousands of dollars, massive headaches, a complete change of habit and lifestyle... I am on the other side. Again, knock that wood. I'm not into tempting fate. I have no illusions just how fragile my teeth are.

Floss. For the love of god - or at least your teeth - floss.
Magically Delicious

#7New Post! Feb 07, 2017 @ 22:18:48
I am so relieved I could cry. Last time I went to the dentist for my annual check up I was crying hysterically out of stress, fear and defiance. This time it is for relief and happiness.

First off, the doctor was wonderful. He completely agrees with my approach and wants to work hard to keep my natural teeth in my head as absolutely long as possible, that false teeth are to be avoided until absolutely necessary. Especially since I'm only 46.

I do have two cavities. One I knew about and have had for a period of time - it is on the front of my upper right canine. It is a result of braces and that awful cement they used to keep them on. I already had a cavity on the upper left canine taken care of because of it. The doctor says that my teeth are strong enough to be drilled and that drilling won't loosen them in their sockets. I was actually quite worried about that. So knowing that I can get that taken care of is really a good thing. There is also another small one on one of my lower left molars. $180 for those two. Appointment booked - mid March.

The next bit of news shocked me as two years ago I was told that partials were not possible because of my lack of bone matter - that I would have to have all my teeth pulled if I lost my front ones. However this doctor said that my molars are now solidly in place and that if push comes to shove and I do lose my front teeth that I don't have to get all of them pulled. That I can get a partial. That's not my goal, but it's nice to know I have that option if I absolutely must.

I don't know if I can adequately communicate just how relieved and happy I am. I've felt the weight of this appointment for a week now, getting heavier with each day... and it's done and I've got good news. It went better than I had ever hoped for. The best I was hoping for was anti-climactic in that the dentist wouldn't put up too much of a fight against me for keeping them. Instead I got his full support and a ray of hope for the future.

I think I could quite literally do the dance of joy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs