Commonwealth Games 2014

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#31New Post! Aug 04, 2014 @ 15:54:52
@last_wave_of_summer Said

And too finish of the Commonwealth Games the Aussies take the Gold in the Netball, really were a street ahead of the Kiwis tonight well done girls. Especially to my former school mate Juile Corletto, good to see a country girl on the big stage.

Aye, it's good to see a number of country girls in the team...including the captain. I must admit i was surprised that we defeated the kiwis by so much in the end.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#32New Post! Aug 04, 2014 @ 15:58:54

Only opening and closing ceremony I've watched were Sydney Olympics. Had it my way it would just be everyone rocks up and lets play some sport.

Aye, i think the opening and closing ceremonies are genarally given too much importance. I didnt see the closing ceremony and maybe it wasnt much chop but all credit to Glasgow for hosting a really good games. Would hate to see the Comm games go. Excellent crowds, good tv ratings...why would you wind it up?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#33New Post! Aug 04, 2014 @ 16:03:50

Went too early saying our girls took the last gold, but the last gold did go to the Aussies in the mens double in squash.

Well done too Glasgow on a great games, all stadiums looked like they were full which is something you barely see, even at the Olympics and just seemed a great atmosphere.

Highlights-

Anna Mears vs Steph Morton- Mears is a legend of cycling but another Aussie took her on and beat her in the even Mears and Vicki Pendleton used to share such a great rivalry. The changing of the guard maybe? well done too Morton.

Novlene Williams-Mills- Ran in the London Olympics just after being told she had breast cancer for Jamaica. Still in the battle she claimed a silver by herself and a gold in the 4x400m relay team.

Kim Mickle- Won Gold for Australia but the highlight was her interview, just the classic Aussie laid back girl.

Usain Bolt dancing too the Proclaimers, enough said.

Australia vs England- Womens hockey which as I said in another post was a great match, Aussies had to work hard too get back in the game and win it. All look lost with seconds to go but they managed to get it too a PSO where they just looked in control.

Anyway those are the first ones that come too mind.

I would add the great performances by the Campbell sisters, the showdown btw Magnusson and MacAvoy, and the girls smashing the world record in the relay.
last_wave_of_summer On May 06, 2023

Canberra, Australia
#34New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 14:15:48
@shadowen Said

Aye, i think the opening and closing ceremonies are genarally given too much importance. I didnt see the closing ceremony and maybe it wasnt much chop but all credit to Glasgow for hosting a really good games. Would hate to see the Comm games go. Excellent crowds, good tv ratings...why would you wind it up?

One of the main arguments it suggested was there were only 2 cities in the running for 2022 games Durban and Edmonton. I'm not sure what the rues for bidding for the games are but I'd imagine after seeing the crowds in Glasgow a few more might put their hat in the ring. Can almost guarantee the Gold Coast games will also attract big crowds in 4 years.

Have been wondering where the track and field will be held though, Metricon seems a little small unless it gets a massive up grade and the other grounds are rugby grounds.....might go to the GABBA.

Canberra, Australia
#35New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 14:23:15
Well did just google it out of pure curiosity and sure enough Metricon/Carrara is getting a $106mil upgrade. Answers that.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#36New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 14:25:47

Well did just google it out of pure curiosity and sure enough Metricon/Carrara is getting a $106mil upgrade. Answers that.

Aye, you just beat me. Capacity will be increased to 40,000

Canberra, Australia
#37New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 14:42:37
@shadowen Said

Aye, you just beat me. Capacity will be increased to 40,000

So many people wondering how so much can be spent on sport...because it creates jobs, tourism, if used wisely facilities can be used in the community. Big picture to these events not just the 2 weeks of sport that go on.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#38New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 14:47:02
Yep, exactly.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs