Society & Lifestyles

The Arab Ear and the American Eye: A Study of the Role of the Senses in Culture

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ronprice On December 23, 2014

George Town, Australia
#1New Post! Aug 08, 2010 @ 04:37:31
THE EYE AND THE EAR

In what I found to be a fascinating essay entitled The Arab Ear and the American Eye: A Study of the Role of the Senses in Culture at the online journal Cultural Analysis, Sharif Kanaana of Birzeit University in Palestine writes that: ?the reliance on the eye breeds a need for visual stimulation and constant change in American culture, while reliance on the ear leads to reliance on tradition and fear of change in the Arab world.? To put this distinction in the role of the senses in terms of western and Arab culture: ?Seeing is believing? and ?He who forgets his past is lost. After nearly 60 years in Baha?i communities and 35 years as a teacher cultural differences have become of great interest to me. -Ron Price with thanks to Sharif Kanaana in Cultural Analysis, Volume 4, 2005.

Did you see the rock concert?
Or did you hear the concert?
Is the apparent priority of vision
over the other senses a universal?
What you see is what you get! and
I hear what you're saying or simply I
understand what you mean. I see what
you mean. I understand what it is you're
saying. Do you hear me? Do you see what
I'm saying. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Hesitate before buying something "sight unseen.?
You may wish to "look it over." Hence that huge
packaging industry. Travel for the purpose of a
little "sight-seeing." Go to a "seer" who looks into
the unknown. When American youths see beautiful
girls walking down the street, one might say to the
other, "Look, but don't touch," while Arab youths
will whisper?.."Smell, but don't taste." And so I
give you this simple cross-cultural poetic analysis.1

1 Sharif Kanaana writes: ?I have presented a number of perspectives that show differences between Arabs and Americans regarding the degree of dependence on the various senses. While it does not constitute proof of the thesis, I believe it is sufficient to persuade researchers that it is valid and merits serious investigation.?

Ron Price
7 August 2010
VeRsTeHeN On April 29, 2015

St Agustine, Trinidad and Toba
#2New Post! Aug 08, 2010 @ 04:38:46
lol i actualy thought this had something to do with the eye for and ryr philosophy.. lol still nice post anyway

George Town, Australia
#3New Post! Aug 08, 2010 @ 04:46:37
Thanks, Verstehen.-Ron
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#4New Post! Aug 08, 2010 @ 15:18:04
VERY interesting!

I always said "If I should go blind tomorrow, your heart is all I'd see". That is my own quote, and how I feel, and the way I look at life.
Having said that however, I don't know where I'd be without my sight, as I'd never get around. lol

But so much is relied upon in regards to sight, where it should be much, much deeper.

Things are constantly changing, i.e. the season's, even our very bodies, which we look oneday, and we are young, and tomorrow there, is an elderly person looking back at us, who we may feel we don't even know...All so very fleeting, what the eye takes in.
..but what is marked on the heart, by way of the ear, is the truly amazing, precious, and unforgetable stuff!
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#5New Post! Aug 08, 2010 @ 15:33:41
@sTreetAngeL Said

VERY interesting!

I always said "If I should go blind tomorrow, your heart is all I'd see". That is my own quote, and how I feel, and the way I look at life.
Having said that however, I don't know where I'd be without my sight, as I'd never get around. lol

But so much is relied upon in regards to sight, where it should be much, much deeper.

Things are constantly changing, i.e. the season's, even our very bodies, which we look oneday, and we are young, and tomorrow there, is an elderly person looking back at us, who we may feel we don't even know...All so very fleeting, what the eye takes in.
..but what is marked on the heart, by way of the ear, is the truly amazing, precious, and unforgetable stuff!

At times I would have rather have been blind and deaf so I could really know people. People are much, much deeper than what the eyes can see and the ear can hear and that's what I've always wanted to see if you know what I mean...

Behind the illusions is the reality!!!!
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#6New Post! Aug 08, 2010 @ 15:37:09
@lil_bear01 Said

At times I would have rather have been blind and deaf so I could really know people. People are much, much deeper than what the eyes can see and the ear can hear and that's what I've always wanted to see if you know what I mean...

Behind the illusions is the reality!!!!

Amen sister!

George Town, Australia
#7New Post! Jun 16, 2012 @ 02:23:18
Belated thanks for your thoughtful comments, responses, to my post. I will leave you with what I hope are some relevant words, words which may bring this thread to an end.-Ron
--------------------------------------
After watching Last Call (2002) with Jeremy Irons playing Fitzgerald, a film which describes the relationship with Frances Kroll during his last two years of life. The film was based on the memoir of Frances Kroll Ring, titled Against the Current: As I Remember F. Scott Fitzgerald (1985), that records her experience as secretary to Fitzgerald for the last 20 months of his life.
--------------------------------------------------------
F. SCOTT FITZGERALD—ME—AND THE BAHA’I FAITH

The last years of the American writer F. Scott Fitzgerald(1896-1940) and his affair with Sheilah Graham, the Hollywood gossip columnist, were the centre and the theme of the movie Beloved Infidel. This movie was released in November 1959. In October 1959 I joined the Baha’i Faith; in September I completed another successful season in the Burlington baseball league; in July and August I worked at my summer jobs, jobs I had from grade 4 to the end of my four-year university programs. In the summers back then in the 1950s and early 1960s, I went swimming in Lake Ontario with my friends among other activities which I have written about in my autobiography and which will not be of interest to many after I pass from this mortal coil. In May-June 1959 I completed another successful year of high school, and in April a not-so-successful season of ice-hockey.

I knew nothing, back then, of this famous writer, F, Scott Fitzgerald, immersed as I was in my life and the life of this small town in Ontario’s Golden Horseshoe. The film Beloved Infidel depicted Fitzgerald during his final years from the summer of 1937 as a Hollywood screenwriter on $1000/week, and freelance script-writer. The first Baha’i teaching Plan had just begun in the spring of 1937, a Plan I have now been associated with in various ways for 60 years. Fitzgerald died in December 1940 just as my mother and father were first meeting and WW2 was hotting-up. In all likelihood, Fitzgerald knew nothing of this new world Faith which had only 4000 members in the USA in 1940 when he died.

The film, Beloved Infidel, describes Fitzgerald’s affair with Ms Graham while his wife, Zelda, was institutionalized. Fitzgerald knew about mental illness first hand as did I in my lifespan. Another film about Fitzgerald, Last Call, was released in 2002. I had retired by then after 32 years in classrooms as a teacher and another 18 as a student. This film also described Fitzgerald’s last two years only the focus was on his relationship with Frances Kroll Ring, his secretary. The film was based on Ring’s 1985 memoir, entitled Against the Current: As I Remember F. Scott Fitzgerald. In 1985 I had just begun my own memoir and, by 2002, I had become a full-time writer and poet, editor and author, and was on an old-age pension.
Both Fitzgerald and I were busy people during our lifespan:

energetic, restless, and forever on the go. The medications I began to take in 2007 at the age of 63, though, allowed my active mind to continue buzzing with ideas in a similar way to Fitzgerald. These meds helped me deal with my bipolar disorder. Fitzgerald had always used alcohol to sooth life’s slings and arrows and it helped to make him, with his tuberculosis and the mental health problems of his wife Zelda, unstuck.1

He accomplished much in short bursts, but projects that required long-term commitment, stamina, and steady, persistent effort were not easy for him. This was true for him all his life; it became true for me after 2007. Before 2007, big writing projects all had to be done in short bursts. Nervous energy got him going; the energy that came from an enthusiasm for a project got me going. He sometimes found it difficult to relax, slow down, or take time to reflect and replenish himself.

With my new meds I had no trouble slowing down and replenishing myself. Often during the day I’d go to bed, sometimes just to rest and sometimes to sleep. Since I had retired from the job world by 2007 in my early 60s, this presented no problem. People no longer drained me because I had left the job world and, whatever draining took place due to my interaction in the small circle of friends and associations in my life, I was able to sleep and get back on track. Fitzgerald scattered his energies into so many directions and activities at once that he could not finish or follow through on some of them. Leonardo da Vinci was also like this. Both of these men needed variety, change, and mental challenges, partly due to their wide range of interests. I, too, needed variety in my writing experiences and I got it both before and after 2007 by writing poetry and prose on a myriad subjects.

F. Scott Fitzgerald had a sharp and eager mind, and he enjoyed games and competitions that had a mental component. Fitzgerald played vigorously and enjoyed competitive games and physical rough-and-tumble activities. Athletics and/or physical activities had great appeal for him. He took the initiative in sports. I did, as well, but only in my childhood and adolescence. He liked to match wits with someone else as did I but, by 2007, I liked to do so as a writer in cyberspace and not so much in my day-to-day relationships.
Fitzgerald achieved his desires by his verbal skill, his ability to speak clearly, vigorously, and convincingly in relation to what he wanted. I did as well during the more than 3 decades I was a teacher. By 2007 my verbal skills were focussed on writing. His drive and energy was more mental than physical and that was true of me by my 20s. F. Scott Fitzgerald used his wit, intelligence, communication skills, social sophistication, and awareness to achieve his goals, as did I. We were both ardent in pursuing anything we desired.

Fits of temper and impatience, and a sudden, erratic sort of recklessness all worked very much against F. Scott Fitzgerald, especially when he needed to be working cooperatively as part of a team or in a partnership. When he was upset or fired up about something, Francis Scott often did things that were risky and outrageous. When out of balance, Fitzgerald tended to be accident-prone. He was often charged with energy and inspired about what he wanted to do, but there was a dreamy, visionary, or passive side to him as well. His energy level fluctuated from being superabundant to rather lax. There was an element of this in my life due to my bipolar disorder.

F. Scott Fitzgerald had a very active and fertile imagination and his ambitions were never strictly mundane, practical, and concrete. He had a strong desire to act out his fantasies and dreams, his visions and ideals. Artistic creation, drama, and other areas in which he could express himself imaginatively were areas in which he excelled. Ordinary life seemed drab and uninteresting to him and he needed to have some big dream or something larger than his own narrow personal interests to live for. Sometimes he was confused about exactly how and where to direct his energy and he often drifted along rather than making clear decisions about what he wanted. This was part of his passive side, a side which lacked the will power, physical energy, strength, and the fighting spirit to achieve his aims.

When F. Scott Fitzgerald wanted something, he went after it with passionate zeal and was sometimes so driven by his desire that he lost all objectivity. Francis Scott got so deeply involved in whatever he was pursuing that he became one-sided, even fanatical. Strong-willed and stubborn, F. Scott Fitzgerald insisted on having his way no matter the cost. He was fascinated with power. F. Scott Fitzgerald often tried to overpower anything or anyone he perceived as an obstacle, if not physically then by the force of his will. Fitzgerald could be ruthless and impersonal when it came to achieving his ambitions and goals in life. Francis Scott had enormous energy and was capable of extraordinary effort and great achievement. He had a compulsive workaholic side to him, as did I. The Baha’i Faith helped to centre my life, my philosophy and activity. Fitzgerald had no such centre, force and conviction..

Francis Scott had grand aspirations and was inordinately ambitious at times. He was apt to be discontented with small successes and to feel like a failure unless he achieved extraordinary things. In his professional life F. Scott Fitzgerald achieved a great deal of recognition and success. Early on in his career, important and influential people in his field noticed and helped him along. His decisions were based on the demands of the situation and he was able to take advantage of the right moment. Strongly career oriented, F. Scott Fitzgerald had inner conflicts between his professional and personal lives.2 –Ron Price with thanks to: 1 Matthew J. Bruccoli’s “A Brief Life of Fitzgerald” originally appeared in F. Scott Fitzgerald: A Life in Letters, ed. Bruccoli with the assistance of Judith S. Baughman, Scribner’s, NY, 1994; and 2Top Synergy.com
https://famous-relationships.topsynergy.com/F_Scott_Fitzgerald/Drive.asp
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs