The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

Target job: cashier or stocking/carts or floor/sales?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
TheBlackGhost On August 27, 2014

Chicago, Illinois
#1New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 06:16:43
I have an interview tommorow and its for either position, I have no real preference. This is my first real job though, and I have no experience at any of then...I know I will have the chance to ask about them, but which one should I lean towards? From experience is cashier or stocking more stressful? Im somewhat leery of cashier because its working fast with a machine i know nothing about. Sales...I also dont know much about I guess (i know you learn this stuff on the job, but still) Any opinions? I cant decide which to lean towards.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#2New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 06:25:51
May not have a preference in the position, but as far as your personality or skills go, are you good with money
and do you like being around people and irate customers?
Especially if you are going to be working through the Xmas season. Seasonal? or full time?
Cashier if you feel you are good with money and/or are very socialable. Stocker if you like organizing (though I heard stockers don't get as many hours). And generally the floor/sales position is good if you want to learn a lot and don't want to be confined to a specific spot the whole time. imho.
abzenze On March 21, 2011

unknown, Australia
#3New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 06:54:38
i prefer cashier.. you get to interact with the customers but then again you get the rude ones ever so often .. stockroom duties can be very repetitive but is good if you like doing things on your own and are good with systems ..
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 07:09:45
@TheBlackGhost Said

I have an interview tommorow and its for either position, I have no real preference. This is my first real job though, and I have no experience at any of then...I know I will have the chance to ask about them, but which one should I lean towards? From experience is cashier or stocking more stressful? Im somewhat leery of cashier because its working fast with a machine i know nothing about. Sales...I also dont know much about I guess (i know you learn this stuff on the job, but still) Any opinions? I cant decide which to lean towards.

Cashiering can be stressful because for one, you never change atmosphere, two it's hard to break away to use the restroom or anything else, and three, you can accidentally get yourself in trouble for selling age restricted items to the wrong person.

Stocking can be phyisically stressful, however, if you've got a friendly crew to work with you will have alot more freedom and more time to make friends.
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#5New Post! Nov 17, 2009 @ 07:13:27
My son works in retail in a large supermarket and absolutly hates the cashier duties. He sticks to his job in the beer, wines and spirits section and loves the work. It can be physically demanding but he can get a lot of one to one contact with customersw looking for advice on wines especially.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs