Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

"Real" tree-huggers, and mis-directed efforts

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#1New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 01:45:57
I sometimes hear about environmental activists protesting some trees along a road being cut down to the road can be widened, or a neighborhood tree being cut down because it's old and becoming a falling danger. This is completely mis-directed energy. Those cases are not where the problem is. The problem is miles and miles out of the city, where they are clear-cutting thousand of acres at a time! That is where they can make the real difference. Quit wasting your energy, time and efforts on suburban roadside trees!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 01:47:48
People like the ELF have their energies directed at those companies and organizations.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#3New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 01:53:22
@jonnythan Said

People like the ELF have their energies directed at those companies and organizations.

Isn't ELF that extremist environmental group that burned down houses or something?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 01:58:12
@Lili Said

Isn't ELF that extremist environmental group that burned down houses or something?

Yeah. They try not to hurt actual people. They burn down in-construction housing developments being built on old-growth forests, vandalize Hummer dealerships, that kinda thing.

They're kinda crazy, but I do tend to sympathize with their goals.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#5New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 02:01:01
@jonnythan Said

Yeah. They try not to hurt actual people. They burn down in-construction housing developments being built on old-growth forests, vandalize Hummer dealerships, that kinda thing.

They're kinda crazy, but I do tend to sympathize with their goals.

I think they're misdirecting their energy too, that's some massively bad PR right there. They just make themselves look like lunatics. As if activists don't have enough of a problem with being stigmatized as it is.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 02:01:50
@Lili Said

I think they're misdirecting their energy too, that's some massively bad PR right there. They just make themselves look like lunatics. As if activists don't have enough of a problem with being stigmatized as it is.

They're basically a terrorist organization. They have no interest in PR.

They want to make it too scary and too risky to do things like cut down forests and conduct massive animal experiments and s*** like that.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#7New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 02:12:34
May God preserve us from all "ists"!
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 02:14:09
@jonnythan Said

They're basically a terrorist organization. They have no interest in PR.

They want to make it too scary and too risky to do things like cut down forests and conduct massive animal experiments and s*** like that.

Hmm, I see. I think a different approach would be more effective. For instance, if people stooped buying unethically made things for example, then companies would stop making them. Companies follow the dollars, that's what it's about. As long as people buy hummers, there will be hummers to be bought. -f people stop buying hummers and start buying electric cars, suddenly hummers will be gone, and Electric cars will be all over the place. It's not about morals with companies it's about dollars. People just gotta speak their language, and communicate with dollars, those companies will hear it loud and clear.

If people start only buying stuff with a label certifying that a product is cruelty-free...suddenly animal testing for products disapears like magic. Not that that addresses animal testing for science, but last I heard there was some huge game changing development that made animal testing unnecesary which is awesome, and I can't wait for that to catch on. But that's a different subject.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs