Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Oct 07, 2009 @ 06:58:06
I completely disagree.

I can quite easily watch a game (for example) between Man Utd and Barcelona (as they were in the Champs League Final last year). I have absolutely no affiliation with either club but enjoyed the game. Found it entertaining, thought the skill of both teams was brilliant and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rugby Union however I very rarely, if ever enjoy. The only game I remember enjoying was England vs Australia in the World Cup final. That wasn't because the game was good, rather a home nation became the best team in the world at Rugby. <<<< JMO

Fair enough @ disagree.

You appear to be quite an exception to the usual footballing rule, JMO and for that reason, there is hope for you yet. LOL. Personal opinion aside though, I think it's a bit harsh to completely dismiss a sport out of hand as "s***". But hey, as I said..... if that's how you feel, then fair enough.

But this thread is about club songs. I already mentioned the national hymns and arias of the major national rugby teams and perhaps we can compare some of those to the footballing equivalent.

As far as Scotland goes, Flower of Scotland covers all sports and that's quite good in my opinion. It's about national identity rather than the sport itself.

Ireland's "Fields of Athenry", England's "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and Wales' "Bread of Heaven" compare favourably, in my opinion to the monotonous, unceasing repetition of The Great Escape in which there aren't actually any words, just a constant "doo-doo... doo doo da doo doo.... doo doo da doo da doo doo doo doo". Novel for about five seconds and then it kinda loses its (limited) appeal.

OK, let's compare a few club songs.... Harlequins fans will sing "The Mighty Quinn"... pretty obvious for a team known as The 'Quins. Northampton Saints fans sing (not surprisingly) "When The Saints Go Marching In" and down in my own end of the country Cornish Pirates fans are all well versed in "Trelawney's Army".

Compare this to such footballing ditties as "You're gonna get your f***in' heads kicked in". A quaint little number usually directed by one set of fans at their opponents.

Another one that goes around is the welcoming refrain of one set of fans for their nearest local rivals... let's say Chelsea.... "We hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea. We Hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea. We hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea. We are the Chelsea haters".

Wow. :80:

But the sickest, vilest symptom of football's tribal disease is the song sung by Leeds United supporters, that they use to taunt Manchester United fans over the Munich Air Disaster. To the tune of "Daisy, Daisy", how about this:

Man United went in an aeroplane
Went to Munich and never come back again
They went in a DC7
And now they're all in heaven
They're sat up there
In a f***in' great chair
With an aeroplane broke in two.

Now, I don't know of any song in any sport, anywhere in the world that plumbs such awful depths of sick depravity than that. But it's a regular feature of Man Utd vs Leeds United matches.

In truth, there are some sparks of originality though. I do rather like Charlton Athletic's take on "Mull of Kintyre"

Valley, Floyd Road
Oh mist rolling in from the Thames
My desire is always to be here
At Valley, Floyd Road
Many miles have I travelled
Many goals have I seen
Following Charlton my favourite team
Many songs I have sung
In the Covered End Choir
Singing Valley, Floyd Road
My only desire

Now, isn't that nice..? Why can't all football songs be like that, JMO..?

As I said before, football is far too tribal. You may have watched a game of rugby once, and good on you for that. I remember the game well. I was an undergrad and had to explain everything to my student housemates as it happened. When Jason Robinson went over the line for England's try, she asked "Is that good, then..?" Laffin'.... I was jumping around like a maniac, whooping and hollering and she asked if it was good. You gotta laff, aint ya..?

Rugby is a very misunderstood game. As I tried to explain... it exists on a different level to football... a completely different plane.

Compare the songs. You should be able to see what I mean.

osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#17New Post! Oct 07, 2009 @ 07:11:02
Team songs are awesome. I wish more teams had them down this way. The local football team has a few songs on their song sheet, though nothing really anthem like (bear in mind they are only 3 years old).

The All Blacks don't have a song, they have the haka but if they got a song as well it would be awesome. Something that means a lot to everyone including them. One day I hope that happens.

Team songs really add to the occasion and hearing your song when you're playing at home or at the end of the match after a win must really make you feel good and lets the opposition know where exactly they are playing!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Oct 07, 2009 @ 11:50:36
@Jennifer1984 Said

I completely disagree.

I can quite easily watch a game (for example) between Man Utd and Barcelona (as they were in the Champs League Final last year). I have absolutely no affiliation with either club but enjoyed the game. Found it entertaining, thought the skill of both teams was brilliant and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rugby Union however I very rarely, if ever enjoy. The only game I remember enjoying was England vs Australia in the World Cup final. That wasn't because the game was good, rather a home nation became the best team in the world at Rugby. <<<< JMO

Fair enough @ disagree.

You appear to be quite an exception to the usual footballing rule, JMO and for that reason, there is hope for you yet. LOL. Personal opinion aside though, I think it's a bit harsh to completely dismiss a sport out of hand as "s***". But hey, as I said..... if that's how you feel, then fair enough.

But this thread is about club songs. I already mentioned the national hymns and arias of the major national rugby teams and perhaps we can compare some of those to the footballing equivalent.

As far as Scotland goes, Flower of Scotland covers all sports and that's quite good in my opinion. It's about national identity rather than the sport itself.

Ireland's "Fields of Athenry", England's "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and Wales' "Bread of Heaven" compare favourably, in my opinion to the monotonous, unceasing repetition of The Great Escape in which there aren't actually any words, just a constant "doo-doo... doo doo da doo doo.... doo doo da doo da doo doo doo doo". Novel for about five seconds and then it kinda loses its (limited) appeal.

OK, let's compare a few club songs.... Harlequins fans will sing "The Mighty Quinn"... pretty obvious for a team known as The 'Quins. Northampton Saints fans sing (not surprisingly) "When The Saints Go Marching In" and down in my own end of the country Cornish Pirates fans are all well versed in "Trelawney's Army".

Compare this to such footballing ditties as "You're gonna get your f***in' heads kicked in". A quaint little number usually directed by one set of fans at their opponents.

Another one that goes around is the welcoming refrain of one set of fans for their nearest local rivals... let's say Chelsea.... "We hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea. We Hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea. We hate Chelsea and we hate Chelsea. We are the Chelsea haters".

Wow. :80:

But the sickest, vilest symptom of football's tribal disease is the song sung by Leeds United supporters, that they use to taunt Manchester United fans over the Munich Air Disaster. To the tune of "Daisy, Daisy", how about this:

Man United went in an aeroplane
Went to Munich and never come back again
They went in a DC7
And now they're all in heaven
They're sat up there
In a f***in' great chair
With an aeroplane broke in two.

Now, I don't know of any song in any sport, anywhere in the world that plumbs such awful depths of sick depravity than that. But it's a regular feature of Man Utd vs Leeds United matches.

In truth, there are some sparks of originality though. I do rather like Charlton Athletic's take on "Mull of Kintyre"

Valley, Floyd Road
Oh mist rolling in from the Thames
My desire is always to be here
At Valley, Floyd Road
Many miles have I travelled
Many goals have I seen
Following Charlton my favourite team
Many songs I have sung
In the Covered End Choir
Singing Valley, Floyd Road
My only desire

Now, isn't that nice..? Why can't all football songs be like that, JMO..?

As I said before, football is far too tribal. You may have watched a game of rugby once, and good on you for that. I remember the game well. I was an undergrad and had to explain everything to my student housemates as it happened. When Jason Robinson went over the line for England's try, she asked "Is that good, then..?" Laffin'.... I was jumping around like a maniac, whooping and hollering and she asked if it was good. You gotta laff, aint ya..?

Rugby is a very misunderstood game. As I tried to explain... it exists on a different level to football... a completely different plane.

Compare the songs. You should be able to see what I mean.

The best songs in soccer up here have been banned, haha. Rangers fans always claim we sing a song celebrating the Ibrox disaster when we never do. We do sing another song which has been banned. It's about former hun Rangers player Ian Durrant and when Neil (Simmie) Simpson gave an almost career ending injury to him.

It goes:

Who's that lying at Pittodrie?
Who's that lying on the floor
Looks like Ian Durrant to me
Cus simmies f***ed is kneee
and he wont be playing for Rangers anymore

Nice one Simmie, Nice one son
Nice one simmie lets have another one

It's quite a nasty song to sing, but on the other hand Ian Durrant is a total bastard. Our nice ones tend to be traditional songs, like The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen etc.
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#19New Post! Oct 07, 2009 @ 16:26:58
@boobagins Said

Headstrong by Trapt was our team song for soccer back in high school.

Got played right before the game and when we won after the game.

I love that song, it just pumps you up.

---

As far as making a song up, yeah, haven't heard of many teams doing that. But they definitely have theme songs and just one song that's there's.

Hell yeah!!
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#20New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 03:47:23
I never payed attention to theme songs though. While I agree its always awesome to have one when your rooting for a team you always like, but i kind always resort to:

Olayyyyyy olay olay olay olayyy, Olayy Olay olay olayyyyyyy

I know i know, its soccer, but eh!

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 06:36:56
@osm Said

The All Blacks don't have a song, they have the haka but if they got a song as well it would be awesome. Something that means a lot to everyone including them. One day I hope that happens.

England captain Will Carling once described The Haka thus:

"This is where, before the kick off, the All Blacks spend 80 seconds telling you what they're going to do to you. They then spend the next 80 minutes doing it".

Seeing Johah Lomu bomb down the wing, leaving a trail of broken, bloodied tacklers behind him, that was very easy to believe.

I took the trouble to learn the words of The Haka, OSM, and I know what it means. It's very spiritual and I can see how it will raise the blood of the All Blacks. I think we could do without the throat cutting gestures that have crept in recently though. That's a tad unnecessary, don't you think..?

osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#22New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 07:14:48
@Jennifer1984 Said

England captain Will Carling once described The Haka thus:

"This is where, before the kick off, the All Blacks spend 80 seconds telling you what they're going to do to you. They then spend the next 80 minutes doing it".

Seeing Johah Lomu bomb down the wing, leaving a trail of broken, bloodied tacklers behind him, that was very easy to believe.

I took the trouble to learn the words of The Haka, OSM, and I know what it means. It's very spiritual and I can see how it will raise the blood of the All Blacks. I think we could do without the throat cutting gestures that have crept in recently though. That's a tad unnecessary, don't you think..?

The haka does have a meaning and has such a reputation throughout the rugby world. Some teams do anything they can to try and lessen the effect of it on them.. some better than others.

To be honest I haven't seen them perform 'kapa o pango' at all during this season. Its also something I believe they have yet to perform at any overseas venue. One would suspect had they made the 2007 world cup final that would have changed as that would have been a very special occasion to really get them up for it, but I don't know.. I guess only doing it at rare moments adds to the mystique of it.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 19:39:32
OSM....... could you please do me the favour of letting me know if this translation of the "Ka Mate" haka is correct. I have had it noted down for a while but I've never been quite sure if it is right because I have seen other translations around.

Leader:

Ringa pakia! (Slap the hands against the thighs)
Uma tiraha! (Puff out the chest)
Turi whatia! ( Bend the knees)
Hope whai ake! (Let the hip follow)
Waewae takahia kia kino! (Stamp the feet as hard as you can)

Leader: Ka mate, ka mate ('I die, I die)
Team: Ka ora' Ka ora' (I live, 'I live)
Leader: Ka mate, ka mate (I die, 'I die)
Team: Ka ora Ka ora " (I live, 'I live)
All: Tenei te tangata puhuruhuru (This is the man, the fierce, powerful man)
All: Nana i tiki mai whakawhiti te ra (It is he who captured the sun and caused it to shine)
All: Upane... Upane... a upane, Kaupane (It rises and sets, rises and sets)
All: Whiti te ra (The sun shines..!!)
All: Hiiii...!!! (Rise)

Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#24New Post! Jun 27, 2017 @ 14:01:33
@jmo Said

What do you think of team songs?

In the AFL (Aussie football) each team has a club song, and the winning club song is played at the end of the game. The songs are a bit twee and not great musically, but in a way its great that each club has it's own song.

Most of the club songs (which are also played when the teams run out onto the field) are set to tunes that were popular btw 1870-1930 eg ‘Lily of Laguna' (1898), 'the Toreador song from Carmen' (1875), 'Row. Row. Row' (1912).

As an aside Port Adelaide play INXS' "Never Teat Us Apart" immediately before the first bounce when they are the home team.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#25New Post! Jun 27, 2017 @ 14:10:44
"We paid our weekly shilling for that January trip:
A long weekend in London, aye, without a bit of kip.
There's a seat reserved for beer by the boys from Abercarn:
There's beer, pontoon, crisps and fags and a croakin 'Calon Lan'.

And we were singing hymns and arias,
'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos'.

Into Paddington we did roll with an empty crate of ale.
Will had lost at cards and now his Western Mail's for sale.
But Will is very happy though his money all has gone:
He swapped five photos of his wife for one of Barry John.

We got to Twickers early and were jostled in the crowd;
Planted leeks and dragons, looked for toilets all around.
So many there we couldn't budge -twisted legs and pale:
I'm ashamed we used a bottle that once held bitter ale.

Wales defeated England in a fast and open game.
We sang 'Cwm Rhondda' and 'Delilah',
damn, they sounded both the same.
We sympathised with an Englishman
whose team was doomed to fail
So we gave him that old bottle, that once held bitter ale!

He started singing hymns and arias,

So it's down to Soho for the night,
to the girls with the shiny beads;
To the funny men with lipstick on,
with evil minds and deeds.
One said to Will from a doorway dark,
damn, she didn't have much on.
But Will knew what she wanted,
aye...his photo of Barry John!

'Cos she was singing hymns and arias,
'Land of my Fathers', 'Ar hyd y nos'."

- Max Boyce

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#26New Post! Jun 27, 2017 @ 14:21:29
Hibs..."Sunshine on Leith"

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Jun 27, 2017 @ 17:03:44
Charlton Athletic: The Red, Red, Robin.

This is the 1950's version played by the Billy Cotton Band. The 'add***s have been running out onto the pitch to this song since they were a top three team in the old First Division of the 1950's.

On several occasions since, the club's owners have either tried to introduce a new song for the team to run out to, or modernised versions of this one.

The fans won't have it. On every occasion of trying to change it, there is a supporters backlash. The views of the fans are always backed up by the players so whatever the owners come up with, 'add***s very quickly go back to good old Billy Cotton.

twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#28New Post! Jun 27, 2017 @ 19:52:37
in 60's to 80's, in st. louis, i think we only " take me out to the ball game! " that played during the ball game on stadium's organ.

speaking of organ, before twilite's ex-wife, stella were married to twilite. twilite used take stella to the ballgame. stella told me that only home runs, she experience with twilite in their relationship.

in 1980, st. louis cardinals adpoted " celebrate " by kool and the gang.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs