The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

Stress Relaxation and Natural Pain Relief

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Jul 11, 2009 @ 00:48:12
There are many reasons some people can't or won't take pain medication. Looking around Web MD I found these to be the most helpful. Most pain meds. give me stomach ulcers, many people get violently ill, Christian Scientists do not believe in medication, Addicts need relief too, and pills alone can not always take away all of the pain. Pain has been discussed widely on the forum in many venues. This is just an alternative to medication. I'm only talking about narcotic pain medication or excessive use of any other pain medication. I posted the other day that the FDA wants to control acetaminophin (Tylenol). Take to much of any pain med, bye bye liver.
You can't live without one of those.
Chronic pain is complex. Research over the past 25 years has shown that pain is influenced by emotional and social factors. These need to be addressed along with the physical causes of pain. Chronic stress is one factor that contributes to chronic pain. The good news is that you can get natural pain relief by making relaxation exercises a part of your pain-management plan.
The Body's Response to Stress

To understand how natural pain relief works, it's important to understand how stress affects your body. Pain and stress have a similar effect on the body: your heart rate and blood pressure rise, breathing becomes fast and shallow, and your muscles tighten.

You can actually feel your body's response when you're faced with a sudden, stressful event, such as fearing that a car is about to hit you. The car misses you and, in time, your system returns to normal. You relax.

With chronic stress, such as worrying about health or finances, feeling stuck in a bad job or marriage, or fearing that something bad will happen, the nervous system keeps the body on alert. This takes a big toll on your body. Levels of stress hormones increase, and muscles remain in a nearly constant state of tension.

Chronic stress hurts.

Here's just one example: Studies that measure site-specific muscle tension in patients with chronic back pain have shown that simply thinking or talking about a stressful event dramatically increases tension in back muscles.
Relaxation Techniques for Natural Pain Relief

Relaxation exercises calm your mind, reduce stress hormones in your blood, relax your muscles, and elevate your sense of well-being. Using them regularly can lead to long-term changes in your body to counteract the harmful effects of stress.

Don't get stressed trying to pick the "right" relaxation technique for natural pain relief. Choose whatever relaxes you: music, prayer, gardening, going for a walk, talking with a friend on the phone. Here are some other techniques you might try:

* Foursquare breathing. Breathe deeply, so that your abdomen expands and contracts like a balloon with each breath. Inhale to a count of four, hold for a count of four, exhale to a count of four, then hold to a count of four. Repeat for ten cycles.

* Guided imagery. Breathe slowly and deeply. For example, imagine a tranquil scene in which you feel comfortable, safe, and relaxed. Include colors, sounds, smells, and your feelings. Do five to ten minutes each day.

* Self-talk. Change how you think about your pain and yourself. For example, change "Pain prevents me from keeping house the way I used to -- I'm a failure" to "No one will die if the house isn't perfect. I can get a lot done by breaking down tasks into baby steps."

* Hypnosis. Hypnotherapists can induce hypnosis and implant suggestions, such as, "You're going to sleep soundly tonight." Audiotape the session so that you can repeat it at home.

* Mindfulness meditation. Sit or lie quietly and notice your breathing without controlling it. If pain or thoughts interfere, simply notice them without trying to push them away. Think of them as a cloud passing over; then return to observing your breath. Do this for about 20 minutes.
newmexicodan On September 15, 2023

roswell,
#2New Post! Jul 11, 2009 @ 00:54:43
This is beneficial for everyone.The breathing is something that can be done anywhere at anytime.Anything that can help lower our stress is a good thing in this day and age,particularly if you don't have to worry about putting medications in the body.
wristband On July 19, 2009

Emerald City,
#3New Post! Jul 11, 2009 @ 01:02:37
Yeah, those are some good techniques. I try to use them as often as I can, especially breathing (lol). My mom just called me the other day and told me that she started yoga, and she's been feeling better and more centered than she ever has.

Stress really does affect your body. I've had sore muscles for weeks from stress. It's amazing what sitting still, being more self-aware and doing some breathing with good posture will do for you.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#4New Post! Jul 11, 2009 @ 01:07:15
Great Post !!
Thanks
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#5New Post! Jul 11, 2009 @ 01:24:55
I agree with all except hypnosis, only because I don't believe in it! Great Post Sue!
martynews2 On September 28, 2013

baltimore,
#6New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 01:34:25
Great information. Keep the ball rolling.
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#7New Post! Nov 23, 2016 @ 16:29:31
Where's Alice?
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Nov 23, 2016 @ 16:50:36
maybe you try herbs hot tea or regular hot tea before go to bed. or even warm hot milk before you go sleep.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs