The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Religion

Christians, why do you belive in the bible?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
soldieroffortune On August 06, 2008

Las Vegas, Nevada
#46New Post! Feb 27, 2008 @ 16:22:44
@alan82 Said
I really dont know soldier. Ive heard the arguement made that God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. It is not for me to judge or look down upon how someone chooses to live their life. All I can say is that, God said a mans natural desire is to a woman and her natural desire would be to a man.

Based on that, i suppose the arguement could be made that it is a concious decision to be homosexual. I really dont know. If you are happy with you and you feel God made you that way, it is not for me to say any different.

God didn't create man, im an avid believe in the theory of evolution, it seems to me that any logical scientific mind would do so as well. But the best way that I have been able to explain my proclivity (otherwise known as the love that dare not speak its name) is just in the same way that you are attracted to women, I am attracted to men. I could never be with a woman because it is just not what I am attracted to, never have been, never could or would be.
alan82 On March 24, 2008

Deleted

Hudson, Florida
#47New Post! Feb 27, 2008 @ 16:25:14
@greyguitar Said
Uhh...animals are natural, right? Animals display the same tendencies, do they make a conscious decision to do so? From what science has shown us, there are many different hormones that come into play during pregnancy at different times. If those times aren't spot on, then some of the children grow up to be homosexual, or transgendered or anywhere in between. We are natural and something that happens in the womb is natural...therefore god made it that way right?

as i said, i dont know? the best example I can give you of how God feels about homosexuality is Sodom and Ghamorah.

Sodom is where the word Sodomite came from. I dont know, this is an debate I really couldnt say one way or another. One persons life style is not for me to judge. As I said, if he is happy and feels he is how God made him, more power to him.
henry_ireton On May 27, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#48New Post! Feb 27, 2008 @ 16:25:55
@alan82 Said
just because mans thinking on what should or should not be considered sin, does not mean that God has changed His. We think because we dont think it is a sin anymore that God should change too. the bible says God is ever unchanging. He remains the same in an ever changing world. He may not deal with sin in the same manner as He once did, i.e. stonings or death, but that is because His son came and died on the cross, providing a way to be forgiven of those sins. Sin is still the same sin in Gods eyes, but no sin is unforgivable.

The downside to this is that over time what has been considered a sin has changed by a considerable margin. Early christianity held that women should be covered in a way that now only the most fanatic muslim would approve off. Shaving and hair cuts have likewise have had changing status as a sin.

If gods representative on earth (whose word according to the bible is gods word) change what is classed as a sin and the punishment for sinning how is the individual to know?
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#49New Post! Feb 27, 2008 @ 16:25:58
@alan82 Said
Ya God is a God of love, but He is also a God of war, a God of peace, and yes a vengeful God.

I wasnt upset by what you said, but I do care enough to let you know that God says He will not be mocked. And no He didnt audibly speak this to me, it is in the bible. Anyway, do as you wish, I just care enough to give the warning, as I did with explaining why the need to be saved.

So what you are saying is in keeping with some of the thing that I think, that if god is there, he is ALL things...even what we perceive as evil. He wouldn't necessarily be a split personality...he would be god and satan and buddha and mohammed and everything in between.

Thanks for the warning, but I like to think that god wouldn't be so petty as to pick that out of all the things I've said to be angry about. I supported religious views for years...I think I might have a little credit built up.
to you too.
alan82 On March 24, 2008

Deleted

Hudson, Florida
#50New Post! Feb 27, 2008 @ 16:26:23
@soldieroffortune Said
God didn't create man, im an avid believe in the theory of evolution, it seems to me that any logical scientific mind would do so as well. But the best way that I have been able to explain my proclivity (otherwise known as the love that dare not speak its name) is just in the same way that you are attracted to women, I am attracted to men. I could never be with a woman because it is just not what I am attracted to, never have been, never could or would be.

hey and I respect that. im glad you are comfortable in the way you are, as you should be!
alan82 On March 24, 2008

Deleted

Hudson, Florida
#51New Post! Feb 27, 2008 @ 16:29:39
@greyguitar Said
So what you are saying is in keeping with some of the thing that I think, that if god is there, he is ALL things...even what we perceive as evil. He wouldn't necessarily be a split personality...he would be god and satan and buddha and mohammed and everything in between.

Thanks for the warning, but I like to think that god wouldn't be so petty as to pick that out of all the things I've said to be angry about. I supported religious views for years...I think I might have a little credit built up.
to you too.

LOL thanks for the hug back.
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#52New Post! Feb 27, 2008 @ 16:50:21
@alan82 Said
Ya God is a God of love, but He is also a God of war, a God of peace, and yes a vengeful God.

I wasnt upset by what you said, but I do care enough to let you know that God says He will not be mocked. And no He didnt audibly speak this to me, it is in the bible. Anyway, do as you wish, I just care enough to give the warning, as I did with explaining why the need to be saved.

See, this is part of the problem that I have with institutionalized religion. They claim that god is love and he gave is only begotten son for our sins and god is all forgiving, but god is vengeful and spitefull and angers when he is mocked.

BUT! The only love I've ever known was my mothers, and the only time I've been harmed was by a person. God hasn't come into play. And according to religion, he probably won't until it's too late for anything to be taken back.

And I know people say that they know jesus and they know the love of god. Is that just another way of saying that they love themselves? Because I feel 'god's love' in the sunshine and in the breeze.

I put god's love in quotes because the only god that makes sense to me is mother nature and the forces that bind or seperate. I dont believe in a sentient god sitting on a chair watching us like television, waiting to be loved or offended.

I dunno...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs