News & Current Events

"Real News’ Joins the White House Briefing Room -POLITICO Magazine

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Feb 16, 2017 @ 03:07:42
Quote:
Among the herd of reporters filing past an oil portrait of Hillary Clinton in the vaulted Center Hall of the White House on Monday afternoon walked Jim Hoft, publisher of the Gateway Pundit, a conservative blog founded at the outset of George W. Bush’s second term.

It was a banner moment for the decade-old website, known for reporting obvious hoaxes as legitimate news and headlines such as: “EXPOSED=>HILLARY HITMAN Breaks Silence” and “Dental Expert: Hillary Clinton Is Suffering From Serious Gum Infection” and “One Week After Election Loss Hillary Clinton Looks Like Death.”

Despite it having received an “Accuracy in Media” award at a conservative conference in 2013, such egregious errors are earning the Gateway Pundit criticism from the right as well.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/fake-news-gateway-pundit-white-house-trump-briefing-room-214781

Didn't the 'Gateway Pundit' just spend the past 8 years pissin' moanin' and complaining about anything and everything Obama ?
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Feb 16, 2017 @ 05:02:45
Next will be a reporter for The National Enquirer!

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Feb 16, 2017 @ 05:26:55
To some republicans/conservative it would seem that the 'Gateway Pundit' blog is like their 'holy grail' or 'bible' or some such .
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Feb 17, 2017 @ 02:43:08
@white_swan53 Said

To some republicans/conservative it would seem that the 'Gateway Pundit' blog is like their 'holy grail' or 'bible' or some such .

Which is why they are so often wrong about things in the real world.

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Feb 17, 2017 @ 05:24:32
@shinobinoz Said

Which is why they are so often wrong about things in the real world.

that stupid blog is now a perminant part of the white house press
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#6New Post! Feb 18, 2017 @ 14:44:18
Makes it all the more important to support real journalism. Now more than ever.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! Feb 18, 2017 @ 15:22:01
@LuckyCharms Said

Makes it all the more important to support real journalism. Now more than ever.

Trump is killing the free press.
Magically Delicious

#8New Post! Feb 18, 2017 @ 15:25:35
@shinobinoz Said

Trump is killing the free press.

Not at this point. He's feeding the garbage and real press alike. But there are still several outlets that are reporting real news and real facts. As long as they exist... and thanks to our dear friend capitalism, there is a market for it... his homicidal efforts will fail.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Feb 18, 2017 @ 15:28:41
@LuckyCharms Said

Not at this point. He's feeding the garbage and real press alike. But there are still several outlets that are reporting real news and real facts. As long as they exist... and thanks to our dear friend capitalism, there is a market for it... his homicidal efforts will fail.

I'm thinking on the grander stage (bigly?). Even Frikken Bashar al-Assad now touting the "fake news" mantra regarding the mass murders & genocide under his watch.
Magically Delicious

#10New Post! Feb 18, 2017 @ 18:15:31
@shinobinoz Said

I'm thinking on the grander stage (bigly?). Even Frikken Bashar al-Assad now touting the "fake news" mantra regarding the mass murders & genocide under his watch.

Assad has never been particularly honest. No reason to think he'd start now. He's just capitalizing on a situation.

Support the free press. That's how we keep it free.
Magically Delicious

#11New Post! Feb 18, 2017 @ 22:45:32
@shinobinoz Said

For a very real threat against journalism...

clicky clicky and read this
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Feb 18, 2017 @ 22:57:38
@LuckyCharms Said

Yeah, pretty scary. I don't click internet web ads. I do go to the store web sites though.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#13New Post! Feb 19, 2017 @ 00:43:26
@LuckyCharms Said

Whelp, looks like Facebook is trying to take a note from Youtube. I was wondering when that would start. As soon as Zuckerberg started talking about 'steps to reduce political noise' or whatever he actually said, I was wondering when he would roll out a plan to control information. I didn't think he'd take THIS many ques from Youtube though. 'User-generated judgements'? Yeah, that didn't go over well when Youtube tried it, let's see if Facebook fares any better. If you don't have the power or the will to really fix the problem, than don't try to begin with. It rarely turns out well.

I get what Zuckerberg is saying. He was absolutely right when he said that Facebook was a big contributing factor to the recent strings of misinformation floating around the internet. I get that he wants to prevent a massive wave of confusion and misinformation from happening again. I understand, and respect, that goal, but I absolutely disagree with his methods. From the sounds of it, he wants to create a news consensus in order to avoid misinformation. That's an admirable goal, but an almost impossible one. Not only does creating isolated news consensus' in multiple locations not address one of his goals of 'introducing people to new ideas', but it also has a massively easy potential of creating community echo chambers.

Having only one option is not good for the people. This is absolutely true, whether the commodity is food, or power, or information. Conversely, having too much choice is not good either. At some point the extra options don't really become options, they become 'noise'.
Magically Delicious

#14New Post! Feb 19, 2017 @ 00:47:56
@nooneinparticular Said

Whelp, looks like Facebook is trying to take a note from Youtube. I was wondering when that would start. As soon as Zuckerberg started talking about 'steps to reduce political noise' or whatever he actually said, I was wondering when he would roll out a plan to control information. I didn't think he'd take THIS many ques from Youtube though. 'User-generated judgements'? Yeah, that didn't go over well when Youtube tried it, let's see if Facebook fares any better. If you don't have the power or the will to really fix the problem, than don't try to begin with. It rarely turns out well.

I get what Zuckerberg is saying. He was absolutely right when he said that Facebook was a big contributing factor to the recent strings of misinformation floating around the internet. I get that he wants to prevent a massive wave of confusion and misinformation from happening again. I understand, and respect, that goal, but I absolutely disagree with his methods. From the sounds of it, he wants to create a news consensus in order to avoid misinformation. That's an admirable goal, but an almost impossible one. Not only does creating isolated news consensus' in multiple locations not address one of his goals of 'introducing people to new ideas', but it also has a massively easy potential of creating community echo chambers.

Having only one option is not good for the people. This is absolutely true, whether the commodity is food, or power, or information. Conversely, having too much choice is not good either. At some point the extra options don't really become options, they become 'noise'.

News by consensus. What a nightmare. I'd like fact based news thanks - regardless if people agree on it or not. People - especially collectively - aren't smart enough for me to trust them and their "consensus".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs