The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

For all the "patriots" out there that plan on Boycotting the NFL.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#16New Post! Sep 29, 2017 @ 22:50:05
@Eaglebauer Said

Ooookay.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

This thread is about people boycotting the NFL and the first post insinuated that if they do so they don't understand the first amendment and are somehow insulting veterans. I pointed out that is not correct (because it's not).

Your answer was that it's "strange our military is sent to kill those that would take away our right to protest" (which actually hasn't happened in a very long time).

So..I asked if boycotting something like the NFL is keeping anyone from exercising the right to protest (*SPOILER ALERT* the answer is no...it doesn't in any way).

Your answer to THAT is that Trump is acting like a dictator.

Um...*blink*...huh?

If you're looking to argue, you should probably look somewhere else as I'm also not remotely a supporter of Trump.

But again, and for the last time I hope, that's got nothing at all to do with what I was talking about.

Soooooo.....I don't know how else to point out what I'm trying to say.

Enjoy your weekend

If you want to protest protesters, I support you.
I am protesting those who think it is ok for a president to tell us how patriotic we must be.
Reminds me of Nazi Germany, or North Korea.
Trump has been a Nazi Businessman to long.
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#17New Post! Oct 02, 2017 @ 01:57:16
Seems to me that OSHA should investigate the unsafe working conditions in the NFL.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#18New Post! Oct 02, 2017 @ 11:54:12
@Willi Said

If you want to protest protesters, I support you.
I am protesting those who think it is ok for a president to tell us how patriotic we must be.
Reminds me of Nazi Germany, or North Korea.
Trump has been a Nazi Businessman to long.

It's scary for sure. I don't remember which country it was, but there was one in (I think) the early 20th century where school children were made to pray to the leader.

With Trump's statement that "When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice," he kind of paints himself as a character from 1984.

I mean, we all know an overblown sense of patriotism has never lead to prejudice before, right?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Oct 02, 2017 @ 14:00:42
Why not just stop playing the national anthem and waving the flag at domestic sporting events..?

It's a flag, for goodness sake, not some holy object. As for the national anthem, if anybody wants to sing it, let 'em. It shouldn't be an enforced ritual. If somebody wants to stand in the crowd singing and looking like an utter d***head, that's fine by me. Nobody else should have to join in just so they look like a "patriot." Sheesh... how dumb is that..?

Now, OK... it's reasonable (more or less, although I could still live without it) to identify with your country if you're representing it in an international tournament, say, a FIFA World Cup tournament.

If you're an athlete who has risen to become one of the greatest in his country at, say, Conkers or Frisbee Throwing or you're going to take on the might of Upper Volta in the Quidditch World Cup final then of course you would want the world to know where you come from. Fair enough.

But this is about Americans, in America, playing American football against other Americans in front of an (almost entirely) American TV audience and a stadium full of American fans. Who are you trying to impress..?

As for the international TV audience (which I would suggest probably isn't as big as you like to flatter yourselves).... I can only speak for myself but I wholeheartedly support anybody who takes a stand against racism, bigotry, hatred and state-legitimised murder, and if they exploit this insane infatuation with symbols and songs in order to gain publicity for that cause....

I applaud them and wish them every success.

To the flag wavers who seem to spend most of their lives with their right hand apparently Gorilla-Glue'd to their left breast and can't stop themselves from mumbling something about rockets red glare with salty tears trickling down their faces, I can only suggest this:

Just go to watch the game.

Gridiron football is a very enjoyable sport. I rather like it. (Go NY Jets..!! Yaayy..!!) It can be played and followed very well, very hard, very passionately and with great excitement and entertainment without a fatuously "patriotic" ceremony beforehand.

But if this has to happen because of some sort of arcane constitutional holy writ, then don't be surprised if a discontented, downtrodden and oppressed section of your society uses the publicity it obviously generates, by exploiting it for their own ends.

Good luck BLM. Keep fighting. Never quit. Never give in.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#20New Post! Oct 02, 2017 @ 14:59:17
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#21New Post! Oct 02, 2017 @ 20:25:16
Remember when people got bent out of shape when the singers / players started adding their own little flares and touches when singing/performing the National Anthem!?!

... This too shall pass and people will get back to beer buying and bladder relieving before long.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#22New Post! Oct 04, 2017 @ 01:03:11
@Eaglebauer Said

It's scary for sure. I don't remember which country it was, but there was one in (I think) the early 20th century where school children were made to pray to the leader.

With Trump's statement that "When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice," he kind of paints himself as a character from 1984.

I mean, we all know an overblown sense of patriotism has never lead to prejudice before, right?

Don't tell Trump, he will find it a great idea.
I think leaders who like the goose step should immediately be shot.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs