Sports

Boxing and MMA

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#61New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 16:30:26
Next big fight is Canelo v Golovkin. This is undoubtedly one of the biggest (if not the biggest) fights of the year for boxing fans.

Should be interesting. There is a question mark over the tank of Canelo. Can he effectively go the distance or will he start to fatigue around the 6-8 round mark?

This is an interesting fight of styles. Golovkin is an aggressive, big hitting fighter with an excellent jab, overhand right and uppercut. Canelo on the other hand has an excellent counter punch. That said Canelo's jab has improved noticeably over the past 12 months and he has shown he has excellent combinations with a good uppercut of his own. And let's not forget that Golovkin's defence looked a little shaky last time out

Now of course in most boxing matches it's the fighter who can control the distance who has the advantage. This is where I see Golovkin's superior jab as giving him the edge. Early on I think Golovkin will score well with is jab but Canelo's combinations should see him in with a good chance of winning a number of rounds in the opening half of their bout. The question mark over the younger man's tank could see him start to fade after 6-8 rounds. The last few rounds should belong to the unbeaten Golovkin who I think will win by TKO or KO late in the fight. The 'home' crowd and history though suggest that Golovkin wouldn't want this fight to go the distance and therefore have to rely on the judges.

As stated Golovkin is an aggressive boxer who packs a lot of power and in the past he has often gone hard at his opponent. Against a skilful counter puncher like Canelo (whose defence has looked more disciplined over the past 12 months) however he is going to need to be a bit more controlled. Canelo will hope that Golovkin throws big punches (esp at his head) as it will open him up to the formers left. So for Golovkin I would reckon he would be better off using his superior jab in the opening 6-8 rounds and wait for Canelo to fatigue. Then he can start looking to land some big hits though against a counter puncher like Canelo the target should primarily be the body rather than the head.

Canelo is a quality fighter and Golovkin looks past his prime so it should be a very even contest. Canelo also looked a lot more convincing in his last fight than Golovkin. That said I reckon Golovkin will remain unbeaten after this fight. As stated I reckon he will win by TKO or KO late in the fight.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#62New Post! Sep 16, 2017 @ 14:00:28
Really looking forward to the Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin fight tomorrow. Should be a right ronnie.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#63New Post! Oct 29, 2017 @ 09:35:24
Anthony Joshua stopped a dogged Carlos Takam and successfully defended his IBF and WBA heavyweight titles in 10 rounds.

The fight took place in front of a world record indoor fight crowd of an estimated 76,000 under the roof at the Principality Stadium in Cymru.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#64New Post! Jun 11, 2018 @ 17:41:22
Robert Whittaker v Yoel Romero...what a fight. Possibly the best MMA bout I can remember. Both fighters showed a lot of heart and both absorbed some brutal hits. Was a particularly good effort by Whittaker who broke his hand early in the fight and yet still managed to give as good as he got. Was a really close fight but I reckon the judges got this one right.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#65New Post! Jun 11, 2018 @ 17:48:49
A decent effort by Horn against Crawford. The Queenslander typically showed a lot of heart but he was simply no match for a bloke who is one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#66New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 15:37:11
The way Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor conducted themselves in the leadup to their fight was pathetic. Slagging off each others countries and families etc was very ordinary. The bout didnt need that sort of 'trash talking bs' to promote interest in it. Neither covered themselves in glory after the game either. esp Nurmagomedov.

For me personally I just hate 'trash talking'. It's just bs.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#67New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 15:41:01
You would reckon McGregor's next logical fight would be against Tony Ferguson. I don't think his performance the other night earns him an automatic rematch with Nurmagomedov
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#68New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 16:18:33
@shadowen Said

The way Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor conducted themselves in the leadup to their fight was pathetic. Slagging off each others countries and families etc was very ordinary. The bout didnt need that sort of 'trash talking bs' to promote interest in it. Neither covered themselves in glory after the game either. esp Nurmagomedov.

Yeah, a spot of that showed up in the news. Couldn't they have taken the post-fight stuff outside and just beat up each others buses .. Again
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#69New Post! Oct 11, 2018 @ 23:51:57
@shadowen Said

@shadowen Said

You would reckon McGregor's next logical fight would be against Tony Ferguson. I don't think his performance the other night earns him an automatic rematch with Nurmagomedov

@mrmhead Said

Yeah, a spot of that showed up in the news. Couldn't they have taken the post-fight stuff outside and just beat up each others buses .. Again

It’s too soon to tell when the next fight will be since both were suspended. On the 24th they’ll see if the suspension will be permanent.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#70New Post! Dec 02, 2018 @ 10:48:29
A good fight btw Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury. One of the better heavyweight bouts in recent years.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#71New Post! Dec 03, 2018 @ 13:44:00
The Wilder v Fury rematch should be very good. Would really like to see Fury up against Joshua.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#72New Post! Dec 03, 2018 @ 15:02:31
There is no more vile "sport" in the world than one where the principle object is to batter another human being senseless.

There are other martial arts it is true, but sports like Taikwondo or Judo are more a technical skill than the outright administration of a beating that reduces an opponent to a bloody pulp. And most other martial arts ensure the combatants wear adequate protection.

But boxing is different. Even with highly cushioned gloves and headgear, a combatant could still suffer appalling injury. Worse still, that boxers become psychologically conditioned to continue fighting when they have suffered injury.

Fury should never have been allowed to get back to his feet twice in that fight. It should have been stopped. He'd have wanted to fight on for sure but boxers need to be protected from themselves. Stop the fight. No buts.

But that wouldn't be entertaining enough for spectators would it..? What they really want to see is blood spattering everywhere. Better still if the man were knocked into a state of unconsciousness. Nothing excites a boxing fan more than seeing a fighter with his eyes glazed and his legs unable to support his own body weight. That really gives the fans a hard-on.

Boxing has been forced to take some measures to protect boxers, but those improvements have had to be hard fought for and have only been grudgingly accepted.

In my opinion, bouts should be stopped sooner.... certainly when a boxer is knocked to the ground or is required to take a standing count.

Better still that such fights didn't take place at all.

There is no moral justification for boxing. It is a blood sport and as such it should be abolished.

I don't hold out much hope of that happening though. There's too much money in it and too many people of violence who love it. But I'm not going to condone the systematic conditioning of one human being to deliberately bludgeon another into a state of oblivion.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#73New Post! Dec 03, 2018 @ 15:21:39
A good win for Joe Joyce over Joe Hanks, whilst Horn made short work of Mundine.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#74New Post! Dec 03, 2018 @ 16:36:33
Note - This is:
A forum for those who ENJOY........well boxing and MMA!

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#75New Post! Dec 04, 2018 @ 13:40:07
@jen. How typical that you should feel the need to post (yet another) anti boxing tirade in a thread specifically for those who ENJOY boxing (and MMA). This isn't a thread to discuss the pros and cons of boxing. If you want such a thread then create it. If you want to create a thread dedicated to attacking boxing go for it. But to post an anti boxing tirade on a thread specifically for those who ENJOY boxing is pathetic. How would you respond if you created a thread for those who enjoy rugby and someone came on and posted a long tirade on why they hate the sport?

Anyway, I wasn't going to respond to your rubbish but what the hell...

"There is no more vile "sport" in the world than one where the principle object is to batter another human being senseless."
Straight up this just highlights your ignorance and shows how little you understand about the sport. If you had ever actually been involved in boxing yourself you would know that your above statement was bollocks.

"There are other martial arts it is true, but sports like Taikwondo or Judo are more a technical skill..."
Again, your lack of any boxing experience is highlighted by your ill informed comments. Boxing entails a lot of technical skill. If you had ever done any boxing (and no, 'boxing' classes don't count) you would know this. Only you haven't and so you don't.

"Fury should never have been allowed to get back to his feet twice in that fight. It should have been stopped."
I actually agree that the fight should have been stopped when Fury was knocked down in the 12th.

"But that wouldn't be entertaining enough for spectators would it..? What they really want to see is blood spattering everywhere. Better still if the man were knocked into a state of unconsciousness."
This is sensationalist BS and once again just proves that you don't understand the boxing world at all. Now I am sure there are some 'fans' who are as you describe, but having watched many boxing matches (live and in pubs mostly) I know that they are very much in the minority.

"Boxing has been forced to take some measures to protect boxers, but those improvements have had to be hard fought for and have only been grudgingly accepted."
And where is your evidence? Over the past 20 years in particular many boxers, trainers and even promoters have supported changes designed to make the sport safer. The more science advances the more changes are made to boxing. Within the boxing world no one wants to see any boxer badly hurt. Their welfare matters. To suggest otherwise is BS.

"In my opinion, bouts should be stopped....when a boxer is knocked to the ground or is required to take a standing count."
If a boxer has been CLEARLY felled by a punch (or combination there of) then I would actually agree with you.

"There is no moral justification for boxing. It is a blood sport and as such it should be abolished."
That's your opinion only this isnt the place to air it.

By the way, I find it fascinating that you are seemingly a fan of the NFL which has MAJOR issues with TBI's and CTE. How can you watch that sport knowing the high risk that players take 'for your enjoyment'? Ditto rugby. Nice that you care about the health and well being of boxers but seemingly don't give a toss about rugby and gridiron players.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs