Forums:
News & Current Events

Tit for Tat for Tot for ...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 14:47:15
I don't support an organization that doesn't support an organization that supports it's members from freedom of expression.

Yet I do support their right to not support an organization that supports it's members freedom of expression.

It's not like they're burning the flag
It's not like they're pissing on the flag
It is a peaceful, quiet expression.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cleveland-police-union-pushes-back-195549529.html

“The NFL brags about how they love the military and safety forces and everything that we do for this country, but obviously they don’t show it because they’re not setting forth any rules about [the national anthem],” Daniel Nemeth, president of a local branch of the Cleveland Association of Rescue Employees, told HuffPost.

Setting forth rules and regulations, in essence forcing people how to act, seems contradictory to "freedom"

As for pro athletes using their position to bring attention to "politics" ...
So young, impressionable minds aren't to be influenced in matters of social injustice?
But it's OK for those same young minds to be influenced on what shoes to buy or sport drink to drink...
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 16:18:59
I think the football players are being stupid. Kneeling during the National Anthem does nothing. It is a wasted statement. There is no clear concern with solution and/or action to resolve the problem.

If they really want to protest, they should decide exactly what it is they are protesting, come up with a joint statement and make it a a public function...create a foundation or align with one...donate a bunch of money and put out a crowd sourced call for "matching funds", get some famous people like Bill Gates to joint in, try to get some or all of the NFL players to join in with their movement....when they go public with their concern make it big...

Then, in the midst of this massive effort which isn't just a statement, but a full blown commitment on the part of the NFL players involved, then say something like " We are going to kneel during the National Anthem, not in protest against our country and flag, but as a demonstration that we are concerned....

Or something like that..

etc.

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 16:57:50
@chaski Said

I think the football players are being stupid. Kneeling during the National Anthem does nothing. It is a wasted statement. There is no clear concern with solution and/or action to resolve the problem.

If they really want to protest, they should decide exactly what it is they are protesting, come up with a joint statement and make it a a public function...create a foundation or align with one...donate a bunch of money and put out a crowd sourced call for "matching funds", get some famous people like Bill Gates to joint in, try to get some or all of the NFL players to join in with their movement....when they go public with their concern make it big...

Then, in the midst of this massive effort which isn't just a statement, but a full blown commitment on the part of the NFL players involved, then say something like " We are going to kneel during the National Anthem, not in protest against our country and flag, but as a demonstration that we are concerned....

Or something like that..

etc.

Whether or not their actions are effective or useful or not is another discussion.
.. however, they did bring attention to "the subject" and there is more conversation now - "No news is bad news"

Kneeling, or sitting, or praying during the National Anthem does not interfere with anyone else's ability or desire to stand and sing.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 22:05:45
@mrmhead Said

Kneeling, or sitting, or praying during the National Anthem does not interfere with anyone else's ability or desire to stand and sing.

I agree.

In fact, I fully support the NFL football players and/or anyone else in their protests...however logical or illogical.

Being a bit of a capitalist, I also fully support the NFL owners who may decide that such players are no longer valuable assets to their organization's bottom line ( $$$ ).

Now, if the NFL was the government of the USA, which thankfully it is not, I would have to side with the players and not side with the NFL... U.S. Constitution, freedom of expression, etc.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Sep 04, 2017 @ 22:23:37
I personally usually avoid the beginning of a football and baseball game, if I can, when I watch a game. I want to see the game, not halftime or seven inning stretch or the beginning , when both teams on the field.

more boring, when you at the stadium. I would say in positive thing, what they are try to. I am not it is a waste of time. these days, these so-called demostrations or motivations acts to make point in public events.

it could be positive things or dangerous to people, how the people react to them.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Sep 06, 2017 @ 16:49:08
@mrmhead Said

I don't support an organization that doesn't support an organization that supports it's members from freedom of expression.

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Sep 06, 2017 @ 23:27:06

I support the Pirate Union because they (apparently) support Pirate Ships to be captained by (apparently) gay pirates .
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 12:06:20
@mrmhead Said

I support the Pirate Union because they (apparently) support Pirate Ships to be captained by (apparently) gay pirates .

I want to click the link out of sheer curiousity...but then again...it's called gay pirates and I'm at work.

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 15:02:26
@Eaglebauer Said

I want to click the link out of sheer curiousity...but then again...it's called gay pirates and I'm at work.

It's an article about Johnny Depp and some of his characters - "All my characters are gay. Yes, but How gay?"

Disney execs were a little panicked about Jack Sparrow.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs