The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

do low carb/high protein diets really work?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
waally On June 03, 2013

Palmerston North, New Zealand
#1New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 21:21:54
yes?
no?
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 21:24:26
dunno!
waally On June 03, 2013

#3New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 21:26:10
woot! thankeee
disturbed247 On November 09, 2012

Kent, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 21:27:43
not a clue!!
you're only 15, so if this is because you want to lose weight or whatever then I think its a serious mistake!
live life, eat what you want, no worries!!
you have your whole life to worry about how you look
and you look fine already!
waally On June 03, 2013

#5New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 21:29:53
haha. i was just curious
im 100% happy with the way i am
aww. gee. thankzles!
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 21:32:24
I've used the ATkins low carb diet and shifted 2 stone in two months but its only a quick fix thing. Never let anyone tell you they are healthy.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 22:00:43
They give you great initial success because they force your body to use the few pounds of glycogen it has stored. After that, the loss slows down.

Overall, you don't lose any more weight with a low carb diet. There are many complications associated with the diet. It's not a remotely *healthy* diet.

You can easily lose just as much weight by eating healthy foods, keeping your calorie count down, and exercising.. and you don't have the multiple problems associated with super low carb/high protein diets.
nanorman On June 05, 2013

Unfortunatly Arklow, Ireland
#8New Post! Feb 10, 2007 @ 22:35:01
They do becasue your body gives the sensation of fullness of the amount of protein you eat not carbs to the same extent, but carbs aren't bad, the best thing is excercise!!
pos On August 14, 2013

seattle,
#9New Post! Feb 11, 2007 @ 05:57:32
It works, but like the other diets its principle is that you are starving your body of something, which is never good. Not to mention all the saturated fat that someone will be getting
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#10New Post! Feb 11, 2007 @ 07:26:20
The low carb thing works for a short period and then stops working because your metabolism adjusts to your new diet, so the weight loss stops after a couple months.

A very common complaint of low carb diets is lacking the ability to focus or concentrate, like their mind is in a fog. That's because you are starving your brain! Sugar is the brains number one source of energy. You need sugar in your diet in order to function as nature intended.

The problem with a high protein diet is that high levels of protein are actually toxic. When protein is broken down, it's by-product is actually poisonous to your system. With really high protein diets, you can have elevated levels of this toxin in your system over an extended period of time. This can cause all kinds of problems like kidney damage, liver damage, an increased risk of cancer, as well as bad breath.

The order of priority for energy sources goes like this: sugar, then protein, then fat. If there's no sugar in your diet, next in line is protein. If there's no protein in your diet, your body will actually pull protein out of your muscles before it will pull fat off your thighs. That's why anorexics look like skin and bones, they nearly literally are - their muscles have been so eaten away, you can actually see their skeletal structure. That's why you need to have adequate protein and sugar in your diet in order to lose weight without diminishing your muscles.

Another thing that's important to remember is that your liver requires fat in your diet in order to generate the hormones necessary for weight loss. Stored body fat and dietary fat are structurally different, each requiring a different metabolic process for use. So those hormones cannot be created from stored fat, it has to be dietary fat. That's why anorexics will often lose weight when they start eating normally again. On experiment done with mice found that those on a completely fat free diet did not lose weight, and ended up with excessive fat stored in their liver. The theory is that the process for breaking down the fat got halted in the liver because of the lack of proper hormones due to the lack of fat in the diet. So what fat the mice had from before the diet migrated to the liver and then got stuck there. Severe illness and permanent liver damage resulted from the fat build-up.

In order to lose weight without causing any of the above mentioned problems is to eat adequate amounts of food, and then burn more calories than you consume. And that means exercise. And since your diet won't be lacking in sugar, protein, or fat, you'll lose weight without starving your brain, destroying your muscles, or poisoning your system.

So basic point is this, you *need* fat, sugar, AND protein in your diet in adequate amounts in order to lose weight. Any diet that suggests otherwise is going to screw up your system one way or another.
diamondjewel On June 17, 2007

, Australia
#11New Post! Mar 08, 2007 @ 12:29:31
I am following the Amway diet called Health Pointe,it is a BALANCE of protein carbs and fat,i have lost a good amount of weight and do not feel hungry.I have been going to the gym as well and exercising and taking their recommended vitamins.I can eat all healthy foods,fruit,vege,nuts,cheese,fish red /white meats,cereals it`s the proportions of carbs/fat/protein that you control.So you have a fist full of carbs,not a massive plate full this mixed with protein and good fats creates the balance.And yes i do need to loose weight, i was 105 kilos now i am 92 but i am using the scales less as muscle is heavier than fat and i can see by my clothes i`ve am loosing inches as well.
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Mar 08, 2007 @ 12:38:55
Imo oppinion the best diet is one that contains a decent amount of each food. Ie carbs, fat, protein ets. You need them all, and everything is okin moderation.

The problem with alot of these fad diets is that they have dramatic effects but as soon as you come off it, the weight piles on.

The best way to lose weight is controlled portions and regular exercise
lloydchristmas On December 08, 2009

, Iran
#13New Post! Mar 08, 2007 @ 12:40:04
Sylvester Stallone claims he lost his memory when he went on a protein only diet.
fitnikki On June 05, 2019

Toms River, New Jersey
#14New Post! Sep 07, 2017 @ 04:20:45
Yes they do I live my life that way..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs