Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#31New Post! Jul 09, 2017 @ 18:25:50
@Willi Said

sounds like you keep the rules as you try to change some rules.
sounds like the right way to me.

Rules are good and fun.

Can you imagine 113 people deciding to play football but no one knows what the rules are?

Imagine....21 think it is "American football", 26 think it is "Australian Rules", 45 think it is "Soccer", 3 think it is Rugby, and 18 are actually house cats....
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#32New Post! Jul 09, 2017 @ 21:54:12
@chaski Said

Rules are good and fun.

Can you imagine 113 people deciding to play football but no one knows what the rules are?

Imagine....21 think it is "American football", 26 think it is "Australian Rules", 45 think it is "Soccer", 3 think it is Rugby, and 18 are actually house cats....

might be fun to watch, but not live in. LOL

LFL Legends football league GIRLS ATTACK : hits and fights !
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#33New Post! Jul 09, 2017 @ 22:38:52
@Willi Said

if the only reason a person does not steal, lie, murder, etc, is to please you. are you pleased?
would you rather they understood why, and agreed?

Personally I wouldn't really care why they chose not to attack or injure me, just that they did. Wondering why helps you understand motivation, but whether it's preferable or not is basically down to opinion.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#34New Post! Jul 10, 2017 @ 19:11:00
@nooneinparticular Said

Personally I wouldn't really care why they chose not to attack or injure me, just that they did. Wondering why helps you understand motivation, but whether it's preferable or not is basically down to opinion.

I agree walking outside, i'm just happy not getting attacked. the reason why, I don't care.
those I live with in a home, I want them to understand.
Tradesecret On August 16, 2017

Drouin, Australia
#35New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 12:06:21
The book of revelation is actually just the picture of the vindication of Jesus. Matthew 24 is the prophecy of the destruction of Jerusalem and Revelation simply retells the story. there is an addendum after that and for the end of the world - but mostly it is a story of God's wrath on Israel as Jesus foretold and the OT prophets for hundreds of years.

Like any good communicator, he told us what was going to happen. It happened - and then he told us what happened. I fail to see why so many people miss this.

Still when people want to imagine smoking nuclear bombs etc - they miss what any good historian and literature expert would see without too much problem.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#36New Post! Aug 05, 2017 @ 16:15:36
@Eaglebauer Said

It raises a question I have labored over myself for years:

If you are following rules (a moral code) only out of fear of punishment (going to hell) for not following the rules (being immoral) or out of a fear of losing some reward (entrance into heaven), are you being "good?" Is morality just a dog that has learned not to chew on the couch because if it does, it will get whacked with a newspaper?

Does "good for the sake of being good" really exist?

In my instance it has always been that if I didn't like something done to me I would feel like a d*** doing it to someone else.

Almost like a very simple priori that I had assumed everyone had been born with but now, in my mid forties, I'm a bit disturbed to find that common morality confuses people.

, New Zealand
#37New Post! Aug 05, 2017 @ 16:21:28
It seems there's a rational truth underneath all of this that was taken out of context and in a different direction.

The dream spoke of in revelations appears to be crafted to undermine the Roman's zodiac

A zodiac of 12 schools of thought mistaken as physical entities with egos

Filtering it even further I suspect there are a baker's dozen worth of electromagnetic waves hosting different A.I. for human thought assistance given the context of the situation they find themselves in
For example when assaulted by someone you quickly have to take audience with Aries in order to best understand how to respond
If you're in danger while sleeping, Hades is on stand by to scare your a** awake.....

But in my demonstration I'm pointing out 12 systems all necessary for this life as opposed to giving them faces and battling them against each other like He-Man toys.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#38New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 12:11:27
@Electric_Banana Said

In my instance it has always been that if I didn't like something done to me I would feel like a d*** doing it to someone else.

Almost like a very simple priori that I had assumed everyone had been born with but now, in my mid forties, I'm a bit disturbed to find that common morality confuses people.

I'd dispute that. I think most people have learned through early conditioning that giving others the kind of treatment they'd like in return usually leads to themselves being treating in a like manner.

It doesn't really resolve the question in my post though. One could easily argue that feeling like a d*** doing to someone else the sort of thing you don't like being done to you ultimately has a selfish end. It could be argued that you've been conditioned to feel that way so that you will treat others well and in turn be treated well.

Call it cynicism, call it realism, call it what you will, but I have more and more been drawn closer to the belief that true altruism does not exist. I think that humans are inherently selfish creatures...even those of us who devote our lives to seemingly selfless acts are doing so to gain something in return. If I place myself in danger to protect my children (which I have done and would do again without hesitation), while I do care deeply about their well being, there is an ingredient of selfishness at play. I want to know that they are safe and my seeming sacrifice is a means to that end. My actions, while beneficial to them, would still at least on some level be a method of me trying to gain something that I want.

I could point to my recent career in which I spent seventeen years sacrificing sleep and emotional health to serve others and say that it was altruistic. But the truth is (and this something I have come to learn about myself relatively recently), all of that time I was actually looking for redemption for something horrible that happened a long time ago and that I perceived was partially my own fault. In some way I made myself believe that if I devoted my life and my work to helping others that I could somehow make up for something I did.

It doesn't make my sacrifice any less valuable really. I still helped people a lot and saved a lot of lives. But it was at least in part for myself.

, New Zealand
#39New Post! Aug 17, 2017 @ 12:23:30
@Eaglebauer Said

I'd dispute that. I think most people have learned through early conditioning that giving others the kind of treatment they'd like in return usually leads to themselves being treating in a like manner.

It doesn't really resolve the question in my post though. One could easily argue that feeling like a d*** doing to someone else the sort of thing you don't like being done to you ultimately has a selfish end. It could be argued that you've been conditioned to feel that way so that you will treat others well and in turn be treated well.

Call it cynicism, call it realism, call it what you will, but I have more and more been drawn closer to the belief that true altruism does not exist. I think that humans are inherently selfish creatures...even those of us who devote our lives to seemingly selfless acts are doing so to gain something in return. If I place myself in danger to protect my children (which I have done and would do again without hesitation), while I do care deeply about their well being, there is an ingredient of selfishness at play. I want to know that they are safe and my seeming sacrifice is a means to that end. My actions, while beneficial to them, would still at least on some level be a method of me trying to gain something that I want.

I could point to my recent career in which I spent seventeen years sacrificing sleep and emotional health to serve others and say that it was altruistic. But the truth is (and this something I have come to learn about myself relatively recently), all of that time I was actually looking for redemption for something horrible that happened a long time ago and that I perceived was partially my own fault. In some way I made myself believe that if I devoted my life and my work to helping others that I could somehow make up for something I did.

It doesn't make my sacrifice any less valuable really. I still helped people a lot and saved a lot of lives. But it was at least in part for myself.

I was referring mostly to suffering
like if I could get away with torturing a small dog to death I wouldn't
(not that it would entertain me to do so)
I would be emotionally upset for the animal I harmed.

Most people probably would torment a small dog for fifty bucks and a Big Mac..or that is the impression I am leaving with.

The only way altruism fits into the above scenario is myself not wanting to emotionally hurt for the animal.

There isn't any pure, snow white, form of altruism
but there doesn't have to be

There just has to be enough concern for others so that everyone can live in equality and without suffering.

Selfishness would still take place but in sensibly moderate forms.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#40New Post! Aug 18, 2017 @ 13:06:21
@Electric_Banana Said

I was referring mostly to suffering
like if I could get away with torturing a small dog to death I wouldn't
(not that it would entertain me to do so)
I would be emotionally upset for the animal I harmed.

Most people probably would torment a small dog for fifty bucks and a Big Mac..or that is the impression I am leaving with.

You have a dark opinion of humanity, that much has been clear to me for a very long time. I am not saying that by way of insult either, it's an observation and not a judgement of your character.

In the end, whether my or your opinion is more correct is a pointless question.

For the record though, I still have to dispute that and I do not believe that most people would torture anything for small gains, but I have no empirical proof of that any more than you do of your opinion.

I did recently hear a very interesting idea about the Nazis that you'd probably find some stock in: that logically, if you were devoting and expending a huge amount of your military resources to exterminating a group of people while you were simultaneously losing a war with the rest of the world it would make sense to stop, or at least suspend the extermination long enough to win the war and then pick it up later. But they didn't do that...they actually accelerated those efforts and drove their war machine into the ground.

Part of the speculation is that there was an almost addictive quality to it. Imagine you're an SS guard in a death camp who has a crowd of people totally beholden to you and to whom you can do literally anything your sick mind desires. Some would say that is exactly why those people were placed there: to satisfy that sick desire.

Jung tells us that the human shadow descends all the way down to hell.

Willi recently put it more succinctly in another thread: there is a devil in all of us. Even in you. My response was that when you let the devil ride shotgun, sooner or later he's going to start driving.

I think perhaps the people you see torturing a small dog for a big mac and fifty bucks at some point in the past let that shadow descend a little lower than sea level...let the devil ride shotgun...got just a little taste of human evil and it took its hold. Once that starts, it's a hard chain to break to keep it from going deeper.

When it happened to me, I turned right on the crossroads instead of left and spent the next two decades dedicating my life to trying to make up for it. I don't know why, and I don't deserve any praise or recognition for it. Call it conscience, I'll call it wanting to feel better about myself. That is where that selfishness fits in, so you're right when you say:

Quote:

The only way altruism fits into the above scenario is myself not wanting to emotionally hurt for the animal.

That's empathy and it's biological in nature. Your aversion to needless suffering in other living things is a mechanism to preserve yourself, ultimately. That, too, is not an insult because it's how every human being is (apart from psychopaths).

Maybe our opinions of humanity aren't so different...it's just that mine is a little lighter shade of shadow.

Quote:

There isn't any pure, snow white, form of altruism
but there doesn't have to be

There just has to be enough concern for others so that everyone can live in equality and without suffering.

Selfishness would still take place but in sensibly moderate forms.

That's where community comes in.

If I'm standing in front of you and you hit me in the head with a hammer for no reason, I'm going to suffer for your poor choice. I'm dependent on you to not make that choice and to understand that doing so would not only be of immediate harm to me, but ultimate harm to yourself as well because eventually, if the devil starts driving and you start doing those sorts of things out of habit, someone is going to catch up to you and tear down your third Reich and you end up suffering greatly for it.

We are all dependent on each other to reach that understanding and be selfish in those sensible, moderate ways that you and I agree are part of natural humanity.

, New Zealand
#41New Post! Aug 20, 2017 @ 11:17:29
@Eaglebauer Said

I did recently hear a very interesting idea about the Nazis that you'd probably find some stock in: that logically, if you were devoting and expending a huge amount of your military resources to exterminating a group of people while you were simultaneously losing a war with the rest of the world it would make sense to stop, or at least suspend the extermination long enough to win the war and then pick it up later. But they didn't do that...they actually accelerated those efforts and drove their war machine into the ground.

This might sound absolutely ridiculous but I'm pretty sure that Hitler wasn't trying to wipe out the Jewish, but rather wipe out 'The Borg.'

Hitler was having difficulty finding work and it seemed like a secret collective effort among those he applied with.

The more constructive approach would've been placing much more resources into neurosciences and taking metaphysics a tad more seriously. If it appears that most around you have tied their heads together you need more doctors in the house; not tanks...or your own 'borged' army.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#42New Post! Aug 21, 2017 @ 05:20:39
@Electric_Banana Said

This might sound absolutely ridiculous but I'm pretty sure that Hitler wasn't trying to wipe out the Jewish, but rather wipe out 'The Borg.'

Apparently you should be working as Trump's White House Press Secretary.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs