The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

A good beating as a way of teaching people respect.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#16New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 12:04:04
@Conflict Said

I see. Well, the game Batman Arkham City has popularised the phrase "getting your a** kicked 101". The joker uses this phrase and he also talks about "teaching batman some respect" in their fight.

Is this relevant to the concepts you have put forth?

Nothing I ever mention in a serious discussion about human behavior will ever have anything to do with a tagline from a video game.

Do you understand that certain things in the entertainment industry are not ever meant to be anything more than entertainment? I'm asking this in earnest because you've ascribed a lot of very weighty ideas on nothing more than movie quotes and lines out of video games. It's kind of concerning, actually.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#17New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 12:11:34
@Tradesecret Said

corporal punishment or discipline are different things.

Agreed, this is a very important concept.

Discipline and punishment of any kind are actually different things. Discipline is something for people to learn what is right and wrong in their environment. It's for people who do things considered wrong and who don't understand it, but have the capacity to understand. Punishment is for those who do willingly wrong and already know it's wrong, and there's nothing immoral about punishment. It just needs to be the right kind.

The best results are gained by positive reinforcement for doing right though.

Respect is something earned. It isn't something you can take by force from anyone. What you gain in beating someone into submission is their fear and often their quiet contempt.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#18New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 12:13:54
@Leon Said

Corporal punishment is a highly effective method of getting someone in line on the short term, but on the long term, it has damaging repercussions. This is why those who are on the lazier side do it and why those who are willing to put in the time, effort, and expenditure it takes to utilize alternatives don't.

There's a Louis CK bit where he's talking about people who hit their kids and they always throw the excuse "Well...he was doing something I didn't like and so I hit him, and guess what...he stopped doing it..."

And he says..."Yeah well that wouldn't be taking the easy way out now would it? Why don't you try talking to them for minute, yah f***in' a*****e?"

Funny. But poignant.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#19New Post! Aug 04, 2017 @ 04:14:43
Respect? More like fear... and like, For ever...

Machiavellian?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Aug 04, 2017 @ 15:29:20
@Eaglebauer Said

Discipline and punishment of any kind are actually different things. Discipline is something for people to learn what is right and wrong in their environment. It's for people who do things considered wrong and who don't understand it, but have the capacity to understand. Punishment is for those who do willingly wrong and already know it's wrong, and there's nothing immoral about punishment. It just needs to be the right kind.

The best results are gained by positive reinforcement for doing right though.

Respect is something earned. It isn't something you can take by force from anyone. What you gain in beating someone into submission is their fear and often their quiet contempt.

Discipline applied to those who do wrong and don't understand it can be corrected by teaching them understanding that what they did is wrong. Effective punishment for the wrongful act can be applied by means other than beating.

Punishment for knowingly doing wrongful things can be applied in the same way, but at an enhanced level to allow for the wrongful knowledge of the act.

Agree your final paragraph, but would take that argument one step further and suggest that not only does beating instil fear and quiet contempt, but it can also provoke a defiant attitude which may result in further wrongdoing, possibly of an even more extreme kind, out of sheer intransigence.

The term "Recalcitrant" is often applied to those who have an obstinate determination not to accept authority and is derived from the Latin 'Calcitrare' which means "To kick". Thus, the recalcitrant offender is 'kicking back' against the authority that is attempting to rectify them.

Not only this, but in these situations the wrongdoer, once recovered from the pain and suffering of the beating may realise that such punishment is short term and can be endured and may adopt the attitude "Is that all you've got?..... Is that your best shot?"

So what does authority do then? Having committed violence once, does it then subject the individual to more extreme forms of violence? Instead of a "Good" beating, then give them a "Damn good thrashing" and then what?

Once you have crossed that Rubicon there really is nowhere left to go except to increase the level of physical suffering. And where does that leave our moral authority..?
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#21New Post! Aug 05, 2017 @ 16:30:52
*repeat*

, New Zealand
#22New Post! Aug 05, 2017 @ 16:34:12
@Conflict Said

Some call it corporal punishment, others call it an a** kicking - it goes by many different names in many different cultures. Barring psychopaths or sociopaths, it's usually meant to be used as a way of teaching people respect, or a lesson when they get out of line, or are thought to get out of line, by their peers, their parents, or even their enemies.

The question I'd like to pose is, where does this philosiphy come from and why is it practiced?

I was horrible to my parents growing up

They didn't lay a finger on me

I grew up a very gentle and soft man

Too soft

In these later years I realize how important it is to address kids with physical and psychology duress when they've done wrong
and this exercise is more important for those kids' peers than it is their parents.

Parents are expected to punish
But it's much more shocking and therefore memorable when the kid you're bullying knocks you out of your desk, picks up the empty desk next to yours and starts bashing you with it repeatedly while looking dead serious through your eyes to Jesus and screaming "I TOLD YOU TO STOP YOU GODDAMNED DIRTY F***ING PUPPET!! IF YOU EVER EVER LOOK AT ME AGAIN THE NEXT TIME I WILL GO AFTER YOUR SISTER AND R***E HER IN YOUR NAME TILL HER PANTIES ARE FILLED IN BLOOD AND s***!!!"

It's not necessarily the individual who you are teaching respect but the hive mind behind their eyes.

If you let god get away with d***ing you around with one puppet, you'll be the goto guy with all of it's puppets whenever it feels like d***ing someone around for funnies.

, New Zealand
#23New Post! Aug 05, 2017 @ 16:34:45
Guess it bared repeating
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#24New Post! Aug 05, 2017 @ 19:46:27
@Eaglebauer Said

Nothing I ever mention in a serious discussion about human behavior will ever have anything to do with a tagline from a video game.

Do you understand that certain things in the entertainment industry are not ever meant to be anything more than entertainment? I'm asking this in earnest because you've ascribed a lot of very weighty ideas on nothing more than movie quotes and lines out of video games. It's kind of concerning, actually.

Films and video games feature real life attitudes. With the exception of a few that exaggerate or parody the way life works - they're a reflection of our world. Filmmakers like Stephen Spielberg or James Cameron would argue that films do make valid human arguments.

I stand by my example. The joker puts into a practice a crazed variation of the subject of this topic, but in its mad way, it still represents giving batman a good beating to force batman into submission - something gorillas still do, actually.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#25New Post! Aug 06, 2017 @ 14:29:26
Alternatively, we could talk about what is actually going on around me - the domestic violence that kills women, the suicidal mother than threw her children out of her high flat window and then jumped herself. Would that contribute better to the discussion, you think?
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#26New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 12:25:17
@Conflict Said

Films and video games feature real life attitudes. With the exception of a few that exaggerate or parody the way life works - they're a reflection of our world. Filmmakers like Stephen Spielberg or James Cameron would argue that films do make valid human arguments.

I stand by my example. The joker puts into a practice a crazed variation of the subject of this topic, but in its mad way, it still represents giving batman a good beating to force batman into submission - something gorillas still do, actually.

I don't think you and I can have a reasoned discussion about this.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 16:02:36
@Conflict Said

Films can be used to showcase a historical incident. Spielgerg made "Schindler's List", which brought to a wide audience the humanitarian act of Oskar Schindler who saved thousands of Jews from the dreadful brutality of the Nazis. The audience was left to decide whether to either accept the film in its entirety or seek further historical information to separate fact from entertainment. I chose to do the latter and not only became better informed, but also had my humanitarian and pacifist views reinforced by the experience.

The violence depicted in the film was sickeningly extreme but necessary for the story development. It was not what I would call gratuitous or 'glamourising' the horror of what happened, rather, the moral of the film was to make the point that the human spirit can overcome the most terrible evil, and that one good man can make a difference amid the appalling horror of war.

I too am frustrated by your constant conflating of the fantasy world of video gaming and ludicrous superhero /anti-hero movie making. The Joker doesn't actually exist, at least in the way you seem to think he does. He is the product of a warped imagination. Somebody may decide to take up that identity but then that person would be a copycat... in which case it would be life imitating 'art' (for want of a better word) rather than art reflecting reality.

I'm afraid it appears you clutch at straws to support your apparent view that violence in life is not only inevitable but necessary.

I'm afraid I can't support that view. Violence occurs, but it is not inevitable. There is always an alternative.

Nobody can be criticised for defending themselves - with the minimum amount of force necessary - but such a defence would not be needed if the individual was not first put at risk from an aggressor and I argue that in such a case, the alternative to violence was available in the first instance to the aggressor.

Violence need never be the first option.

And to get back to the original point, it should NEVER EVER be inflicted on children by adults for any reason.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#28New Post! Aug 11, 2017 @ 20:23:15
@Jennifer1984 Said

Films can be used to showcase a historical incident. Spielgerg made "Schindler's List", which brought to a wide audience the humanitarian act of Oskar Schindler who saved thousands of Jews from the dreadful brutality of the Nazis. The audience was left to decide whether to either accept the film in its entirety or seek further historical information to separate fact from entertainment. I chose to do the latter and not only became better informed, but also had my humanitarian and pacifist views reinforced by the experience.

The violence depicted in the film was sickeningly extreme but necessary for the story development. It was not what I would call gratuitous or 'glamourising' the horror of what happened, rather, the moral of the film was to make the point that the human spirit can overcome the most terrible evil, and that one good man can make a difference amid the appalling horror of war.

I too am frustrated by your constant conflating of the fantasy world of video gaming and ludicrous superhero /anti-hero movie making. The Joker doesn't actually exist, at least in the way you seem to think he does. He is the product of a warped imagination. Somebody may decide to take up that identity but then that person would be a copycat... in which case it would be life imitating 'art' (for want of a better word) rather than art reflecting reality.

I'm afraid it appears you clutch at straws to support your apparent view that violence in life is not only inevitable but necessary.

I'm afraid I can't support that view. Violence occurs, but it is not inevitable. There is always an alternative.

Nobody can be criticised for defending themselves - with the minimum amount of force necessary - but such a defence would not be needed if the individual was not first put at risk from an aggressor and I argue that in such a case, the alternative to violence was available in the first instance to the aggressor.

Violence need never be the first option.

And to get back to the original point, it should NEVER EVER be inflicted on children by adults for any reason.

I use quotes and characters from video games and films because my approach to life is more abstract, more intellectual. If I'd heard these references in real life, or in works of non-fiction, I'd have used them instead.

For me, words and fictional characters come from the human mind and therefore, represent human attitudes, be they insane, mentally unstable and so on. I guess it is a side-effect of my higher and further education.

If you like we can go about this using real time concepts. I don't have a problem with that.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#29New Post! Aug 17, 2017 @ 20:42:45
Let's take the film Little Odessa for example. I wish to use this because this film is a documentary style film about how dads use the belt to proverbially kick their sons a** as a means of disciplining them.

Now, there is the element of mental laziness to consider. Shall we say that the father of the main protagonist was acting with what we might call a lack of regard for cereberal methods of resolving problems?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#30New Post! Aug 17, 2017 @ 22:28:06
@Conflict Said

Let's take the film Little Odessa for example. I wish to use this because this film is a documentary style film about how dads use the belt to proverbially kick their sons a** as a means of disciplining them.

Now, there is the element of mental laziness to consider. Shall we say that the father of the main protagonist was acting with what we might call a lack of regard for cereberal methods of resolving problems?

yes
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs