News & Current Events

Sued over small wood

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Jun 22, 2017 @ 12:22:10
https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/retail/2017/06/21/whacked-4-x-4-menards-home-depot-face-lawsuits-over-descriptions-lumber-size/405300001/

Quote:
Menards and Home Depot stand accused of deceiving the lumber-buying public, specifically, buyers of 4x4 boards, the big brother to the ubiquitous 2x4.

The alleged deception: The retailers market and sell the hefty lumber as 4x4s without specifying that the boards actually measure 3½ inches by 3½ inches.

This is a new level of f***ing stupid.

I can't imagine a law firm actually taking this case, but apparently one did. It's been the lumber standard for sixty years that a 4x4 is not actually 4" square, a 2x4 is not actually two by four inches, etc.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jun 22, 2017 @ 12:42:18
@Eaglebauer Said

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/retail/2017/06/21/whacked-4-x-4-menards-home-depot-face-lawsuits-over-descriptions-lumber-size/405300001/

I can't imagine a law firm actually taking this case, but apparently one did. It's been the lumber standard for sixty years that a 4x4 is not actually 4" square, a 2x4 is not actually two by four inches, etc.

Oh ... "Lumber" ...

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Jun 22, 2017 @ 13:05:13
On a similar note:
Did you know that a cord of wood legally measures 4'x4'x8' only for it's initial stacking.

After transport and restacking, the cord does not have to meet to those dimensions.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jun 22, 2017 @ 13:13:15
@Eaglebauer Said

This is a perfect example of a frivolous lawsuit where the legal team of the plaintiff should pay court costs.

And at the end of the article it hints at maybe something isn't quite kosher with this case.

BTW - I just went to The Home Depot website, and under Product Specifications it has Dimensions of:
1.5 and 5.5 (for a 2x6)
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Jun 22, 2017 @ 13:30:55
@mrmhead Said

On a similar note:
Did you know that a cord of wood legally measures 4'x4'x8' only for it's initial stacking.

After transport and restacking, the cord does not have to meet to those dimensions.

Yep. My first job was in a lumber yard and I worked there for a couple years. Then a couple summers in college.

@mrmhead Said

This is a perfect example of a frivolous lawsuit where the legal team of the plaintiff should pay court costs.

And at the end of the article it hints at maybe something isn't quite kosher with this case.

BTW - I just went to The Home Depot website, and under Product Specifications it has Dimensions of:
1.5 and 5.5 (for a 2x6)

Uh huh. This is the part that got me:

Quote:
As Turin described it, all three men wanted the lumber for home-improvement projects, got home and measured the pieces, felt they had been deceived and then turned to the law firm.

Don't return the lumber and get your money back. Don't inquire at the store and ask about why the dimensions are off. Don't ask anyone who has ten minutes of experience with building materials. No...call a lawyer and file a five million dollar lawsuit because the lumber you bought was a half inch shorter on two sides than you thought it was.

I gotta wonder...what damages are they suing for? How were they injured here? Other than getting the money back for the lumber, which they could have done in less time with a receipt...what is it they are expecting to be awarded?

Btw...

Here are the bullet points from the product overview of a 4x4x8 piece of lumber on homedepot.com:

Quote:
Manufactured from southern yellow pine, a renewable resource, for an eco-friendly choice

Pressure-treated for ground contact applications

Uniform thickness, density and appearance with a smooth surface that can be painted for a customized look

Actual dimensions: 3.56 in. x 3.56 in. x 96 in.

Lifetime limited residential warranty against rot and termites

And in the actual listing TITLE for the same piece of lumber at Menards.com:

Quote:
4 x 4 x 8' #2 Ground Contact AC2® Green Pressure Treated Timber
(Actual Size 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 8' )
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Jun 22, 2017 @ 21:49:24
@Eaglebauer Said

This law suit makes me giddy.

Once, or twice, many years ago, I was the victim of good math (on my part) and poor math (on the part of lumber millers).

When the measurements don't add up...the building of things can and have gone terribly wrong.

The irony is that my grandfather's family were lumber people for many generations...and...none of them remembered to tell me of the 4x4 vs 3.5x3.5 thing...they watched as I suffered the consequences of my good math and their manipulation of numbers for profit...chuckled a good bit at my expense....until I learned...and they made & spent a lot & shared none of it with me...

One might say that I was "F'ed" by my own people.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 23, 2017 @ 19:31:44
It seems a pretty frivolous lawsuit to me, but if the pay out could be in the range of the amounts being bandied about on this thread, then it should come as no surprise that somebody has said "I'll have some of that."

Sheesh, fellas.... you live in the most money obsessed, capitalist society on the face of the planet. Whoever is making this claim is probably calling it an "opportunity" and thinks that not to attempt it would be un-American..!!

Yep... I agree wholeheartedly that it's a lawsuit that shouldn't be happening, but if it is then the only surprise is that it's coming as a surprise to anybody.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#8New Post! Jun 23, 2017 @ 22:20:02
When I 1st read the title of this thread, Sued over small wood, I thought it was about Trump and his hands.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs