News & Current Events

RIP Chris Cornell

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 12:33:49
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/18/528899410/chris-cornell-lead-singer-of-soundgarden-and-audioslave-dies-at-52

Chris Cornell gained fame as the lead singer to the grunge band Soundgarden and later with Audioslave.

Brian Bumbery, Cornell's representative, released a statement to NPR on the singer's death:

"Chris Cornell passed away late last night in Detroit, MI. His wife Vicky and family were shocked to learn of his sudden and unexpected passing, and they will be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause. They would like to thank his fans for their continuous love and loyalty and ask that their privacy be respected at this time."
Soundgarden was formed in 1984 by Cornell, guitarist Kim Thayil and bassist Hiro Yamamoto — it went on to become one of the biggest bands of the 1990s grunge movement.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 12:34:30
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#3New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 16:13:10
While Nirvana will always be credited, and rightfully so, for popularizing the Seattle grunge sound and changing the musical landscape in general, it was really Soundgarden, for whom Chris Cornell was the lead singer, that must be credited for setting the stage.

It was them who initially signed with Seattle's Sub Pop label and influenced their direction and sound, inspiring Kurt Cobain to form Nirvana and sign as well, by his own admission. It was also them who were the first band from this Seattle scene to sign with a major label, in 1989. And it was them who were considered to be the most instrumentally and musically proficient among the bands in the scene, expanding their repertoire to much more than just grunge, not to mention it was Chris who had the amazing 4 octave vocal range that fellow grunge singers Kurt or Eddie Vedder could never match.

Rock music in general is dying off the mainstream pop charts, making it all the more vital to see such artists as Chris Cornell, Pearl Jam, the Foo Fighters, Springsteen, and Weezer still making records and influencing the creativity of new acts, even if no longer in the spotlight. So, while I was never really a fan of Soundgarden as much as Nirvana and Pearl Jam, it is still with great sadness to see one of its icons as no more.

This has always been my favorite of them. Which is an amazing musical convention-buster that somehow works wonderfully.

thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#4New Post! May 18, 2017 @ 21:14:16
Boobagins' favorite singer.
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#5New Post! May 19, 2017 @ 22:53:17
I liked him way back at the Temple of the Dogs days. Good stuff.

Sorry to hear about this. Not sure what happened, his family is now saying that script drugs might have had something to do with it. IDK, I heard he hung himself, but whatever.

I imagine there had to be some personal demons in there and I get that to a degree, I've got so of my own, but not enough to take it to that next level. Hard to get into that mindset. I'm not judging the guy, I'm just trying to see the humanity and all it's foibles.

Sad for his family.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#6New Post! May 20, 2017 @ 02:48:35
@Ratty Said

I liked him way back at the Temple of the Dogs days. Good stuff.

Sorry to hear about this. Not sure what happened, his family is now saying that script drugs might have had something to do with it. IDK, I heard he hung himself, but whatever.

I imagine there had to be some personal demons in there and I get that to a degree, I've got so of my own, but not enough to take it to that next level. Hard to get into that mindset. I'm not judging the guy, I'm just trying to see the humanity and all it's foibles.

Sad for his family.

Sometimes you can be too sad to live.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#7New Post! May 20, 2017 @ 02:56:51
Outshined, black hole sun, like a stone, im going hungry...

He was a great f***ing singer.
I took the day off of work in order to get f***ed up in his memory. Which is ironic considering his demise.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#8New Post! May 20, 2017 @ 07:05:26
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs