5 Ways Trump's Anti-Sanctuary City Orders Are Unconstitutional

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Apr 01, 2017 @ 04:51:49
Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions recently announced that he will begin punishing states and local governments who refuse to help the federal government enforce its immigration laws — known as sanctuary cities — by taking away federal grants. Sessions even mentioned using a “claw-back” to retake money already given to local governments. Two federal judges are already examining if they should be put on hold.

The order is plainly unconstitutional. It undermines federalism in several ways.
1. States can’t be forced to help enforce federal law
2. The White House can’t make new requirements.
3. Even if Congress added the requirements, these are unclear.
4. It’s too late to add new requirements.
5. The requirements have nothing to do with many of the threatened programs.

https://time.com/4720749/...time_socialflow_twitter

Shouldn't there be at least one person in Trumps 'camp' that has at least read our Constitution ?
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Apr 02, 2017 @ 22:01:15
Things be different now he be King!

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Apr 14, 2017 @ 22:55:36
@shinobinoz Said

Things be different now he be King!

Nope, he be learnin' that America doesn't run on Trump style...
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#4New Post! Apr 15, 2017 @ 10:30:04
@white_swan53 Said

https://time.com/4720749/...time_socialflow_twitter

Shouldn't there be at least one person in Trumps 'camp' that has at least read our Constitution ?

Personally, I think he does at least a little, since the mention of with holding of federal money is a workaround the federal government has used to enforce their wills onto the states before. Whether or not the federal government can specifically hold back grants to certain cities will, of course, depend on the nature of the grant, and whether claw-backs would be feasible would be another matter entirely, but the basic concept of with holding money from states to get them to comply is a concept that's been around for quite a while now.

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Apr 23, 2017 @ 11:15:31
@nooneinparticular Said

Personally, I think he does at least a little, since the mention of with holding of federal money is a workaround the federal government has used to enforce their wills onto the states before. Whether or not the federal government can specifically hold back grants to certain cities will, of course, depend on the nature of the grant, and whether claw-backs would be feasible would be another matter entirely, but the basic concept of with holding money from states to get them to comply is a concept that's been around for quite a while now.

Yes , I'm sure someone in his camp probably has at least a little bit of knowledge of the fact that we have a Constitution and that some how our system seems to interact with it .
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#6New Post! Apr 25, 2017 @ 08:54:18
Sanctuary cities are f***ing bulls***. Hearing too many stories of convicted felons that have been repeatedly deported and them coming back and committing harsh crimes. The local authorities need to letICE know when a dangerous criminal that is here illegally for them to be picked up. Ca doesn't do it and a lot of other states don't and a I can't figure out what the reasoning is for that.

We're not talking about Juan the gardener or Maria the maid here, we're talking dangerous felons. Those guys need to be gone, period.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#7New Post! Apr 25, 2017 @ 23:14:26
The sanctuary city polices (many are just policy and not laws, and very few are even the same) means that when Maria the maid comes to get a restraining order against her abusive boyfriend Charlie, she isn't going to be asked for her papers and deported. When she is dragged away in handcuffs from the court house, then it scares a lot of others from even talking to the police, making getting witness statements even harder. Or sends a message if you being abused and undocumented...tough s***. no one cares.

People that are going to be held for trial and that sort of stuff, like the repeat convicted felons, are going to have their status checked and be dealt with appropriately. I think the problem is if someone is determined to commit criminal activity, a stint in prison isn't necessarily going to stop that. We have that problem with American career criminals... the system just isn't set up for rehab.

I mean it sucks that bad people do bad things. Personally I think the whole sanctuary thing is just a bunch of touchy-feely outreach. Your basic cop on the street was never intended for citizenship checks, not their job.
with police already have a bad reputation (deserved or not), any outreach that makes them more approachable is a good thing.

It's not just police it's the things like schools. They are already exempt from ICE raids by law, and there are federal privacy laws (FERPA) that prohibit releasing student records without permission. Declaring they are a sanctuary, does nothing more than put people at ease. The Dreamers group are already feeling rather vulnerable. (Because they turned over a bunch of incriminating information on them and their families, in exchange for a work pass, they now fear that being used against them in an ICE raid.) So if a few speeches and a welcoming gesture lets them finish their education, the better for everyone. Better education makes for better lives, no matter what country you are in or from.
chaski On about 14 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#8New Post! Apr 25, 2017 @ 23:48:48
I don't want state and local police working for any part of the Federal Government.

The next step is a Federal police force.

We don't need that....and "we" really don't want it.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#9New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 01:07:22
It freaks me the f*** out every time I see a car on the interstate marked "federal police".
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#10New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 01:12:37
But yes... I'd much rather keep some separation between state and federal.

And there are constitutional issues, which I believe was part of the court decision blocking trumps executive order about sanctuary cities today.
Stalker

#11New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 02:21:30
So here's the thing....

Once a person is arrested under federal charges they are entered into two data bases: NLETS & NCIC.

If it is a "violent" crime they are also entered into the FBI's VICAP.

If there is an outstanding arrest warrant, they are on a terrorism watch list or they have been deported they are also noted in the above data bases as wanted. Depending on the particulars they might be entered into an ICE data base (sorry, I forget the name of that one).

Now, let's say a person meets one of those criterion ( ) and gets arrested in any city in the USA or USA territory. The arresting law enforcement department are supposed to take finger prints, enter all relevant data and do law enforcement data checks (noted above).

If the person's name pops up as a wanted felon, terrorist suspect, etc, the arresting law enforcement agency is supposed to contact the agency which made the original entries. That original agency has something like 48 hours to go and collect the bad guy.

Now, lets say the bad guy has false identification that no one recognizes as false and/or the original arresting agency never entered the requisite information into the appropriate data bases, guess what? The violent felon (whether a US citizen or an illegal alien) is going to normally walk free. Someone is going to find out later and finger pointing will start once this is learned.

If the person in question does not actually commit another crime OR isn't caught, guess what? The violent felon (whether a US citizen or an illegal alien) is going to remain free and at large.

The real issue is that state and local law enforcement officials should not be assigned to do the mission of any federal agency (with the exception of limited task forces...I'll explain that to anyone who wants me to).

To be more clear, we do not want local police officers spending their time profiling, investigating and arresting people who have committed Federal felony offenses or misdemeanor boarder offenses. It just isn't their job.

Their jobs are to enforce the laws of their cities, counties and states.

There are presently (roughly) 1 million local/state law enforcement officer vs (roughly) 120 thousand federal law enforcement officers.

With the exception of (again) some limited task forces, I honestly don't think it is rational to want 1 million law enforcement officers supplementing the Federal government. That is the beginning of 1984.

As I have sated many times before, there is a very easy way to resolve this illegal alien issue...if "we" really want to resolve it....which "we" don't.

What is that Chaski?

Investigate, charge, prosecute, sentence and fine (both in Federal civil and criminal courts proceedings) anyone (including corporations) who hires an illegal alien. Based on just one of the applicable laws charges result in a $3000.00 fine per illegal alien hired. Other charges can result in jail time. And then there are the Federal tax evasion charges... yep... death and taxes.

Without jobs (money for food, rent, etc) 95% to 96% (those are real numbers) would leave the USA of their own accord.

Sanctuary City issue resolved.

However, "we" don't actually want to resolve the issue.
Stalker

#12New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 02:37:28
Note:

Part of the underlying point or idea of the above post is that these Sanctuary Cities are no knowingly harboring violent criminals.

The idea that they know the location of violent criminals who are also an illegal aliens, but are hiding and protecting them from arrest, prosecution, incarceration and deportation is false.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 03:07:55
@Ratty Said

Sanctuary cities are f***ing bulls***. Hearing too many stories of convicted felons that have been repeatedly deported and them coming back and committing harsh crimes. The local authorities need to letICE know when a dangerous criminal that is here illegally for them to be picked up. Ca doesn't do it and a lot of other states don't and a I can't figure out what the reasoning is for that.

We're not talking about Juan the gardener or Maria the maid here, we're talking dangerous felons. Those guys need to be gone, period.

You are hearing too many stories that are not based in reality I'm afraid. Undocumented workers are at worse just a prone to commit crime or violence & at best (which is more true) actually commit less.
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#14New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 06:36:54
@shinobinoz Said

You are hearing too many stories that are not based in reality I'm afraid. Undocumented workers are at worse just a prone to commit crime or violence & at best (which is more true) actually commit less.

Tell that to Kate Steinle's family up in the bay area. I'm sure that they'd take some solace in what you're saying here. Cause yeah, repeatedly deported dangerous felons don't came back into the country, that never happens.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Apr 26, 2017 @ 21:44:57
@Ratty Said

Tell that to Kate Steinle's family up in the bay area. I'm sure that they'd take some solace in what you're saying here. Cause yeah, repeatedly deported dangerous felons don't came back into the country, that never happens.

What Trump & righties do not get is that this is not what "sanctuary cities" are about. Forcing cities to enforce immigration laws goes against states rights & puts local law enforcement in a bad situtation where undocumented workers just go underground & then the violence against them as well as the neighborhood strats going up. Law enforcement needs to be able to communicate with undocumented workers. Let the Feds do their jobs, let the locals do theirs. Sure you can always find a few anecdotal horror stories. Terrible for the victim & family involved but it is still a very small over all problem that is generally dwarfed by the amount of domestic crap that goes on.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs