The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

why do most people that have a stroke lose the ability to learn anything?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ahawkua On April 06, 2017

Bloomington, Indiana
#1New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 00:32:13
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 00:41:54
@ahawkua Said

Not sure that is totally true. There are many different parts of the brain that can be affected. Males & females can also experience things differently as well. I'll leave it to any body with experience or knowledge about it but many people do obtain good degrees of recovery. Timing also plays into his as well. The quicker one gets medical help the greater the outlook. Everyone should know the signs to help protect loved ones & friends.

https://www.medicinenet.com/11_signs_and_symptoms_of_stroke/article.htm
What is a stroke?

A stroke occurs when the blood supply to an area of the brain is cut off. The symptoms depend upon the region of the brain that is affected by the loss of blood supply and can include changes in sensation or motor control.

Symptoms of a stroke also depend on how much of the brain tissue is deprived of blood supply. For example, someone who had a mild stroke may experience temporary weakness of an arm or leg, but those with a more severe stroke may be permanently paralyzed on one side of their body or be unable to speak. If the blood supply is not quickly restored, either on its own or via medical treatment, the effects may be permanent.

A transient ischemic attack, or TIA, is sometimes referred to as a "mini-stroke." With a TIA, the stroke symptoms occur but go away on their own.

Some people fully recover completely from strokes, but over 2/3 of stroke survivors are left with some type of disability.

Acting fast is critical if you suspect that someone may be having a stroke. Immediate treatment of a stroke can minimize long-term effects of the stroke and can even help reduce a person's risk of death from stroke.

FAST is an acronym that can help you quickly recognize the warning signs and symptoms of stroke. You can even download a FAST app from the webpage of the American Stroke Association to help you remember these signs.

Use FAST to remember and recognize the following signs and symptoms of stroke:

F: Face drooping. Ask the person to smile, and see if one side is drooping. One side of the face may also be numb, and the smile may appear uneven.
A: Arm weakness. Ask the person to raise both arms. Is there weakness or numbness on one side? One arm drifting downward is a sign of one-sided arm weakness.
S: Speech difficulty. People having a stroke may slur their speech or have trouble speaking at all. Speech may be incomprehensible. Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence and look for any speech abnormality.
T: Time to call 9-1-1! If a person shows any of the symptoms above, even if the symptoms went away, call 9-1-1 and get the person to a hospital immediately.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 03:51:03
Shino pretty much says all there is to say on the subject. Not much more I can add to that.

We used the FAST programme over here too, in a series of televised public awareness advertisements. It's an easy acronym to remember and very valuable in taking prompt, effective action.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 05:02:45
i think that information that you have on your smartphone that tell you how handle this kind of situation.

most of these symptoms are very similar to heart attack than stroke.

two symptoms of stroke definitely different than heart attack.

speech slurring could be hard to tell depend the person is drunk or having heart attack.

definitely, the face dropping in minutes, if you were watching or talking to the person at the moment before the attack.

i happen to remember that happen in 80's, i waiting for a bus with a group of people who waiting for my bus and some buses that stopped on the same street that we were.

i remember off and on, i watching an old man or a middle man, who look like he was a sick. nobody really paid attended to the man.

so finally i got on my bus, and i happened to looked at the man from the bus's window. all sudden, the man ( like most of us standing or sitting on ( you know what it is call ) one fence that you can sitting more cement facing than place you can flowers in a flower pit that in front of hotel.

anyway, all sudden, the man collapsed backward not hitting his head. he fell back and his legs bend so he seating on the ground with his back against the wall.

i was going leave the bus, but everybody that standing beside the man, try to help, and they were on their phones getting help.

i decided to stayed on the bus and go home. i can't remember if i ask about the man the next day, i think did. i wish could tell you what happened to him. i don't remember.

more i think about the man now, i think he was coughing at the time and sweating before the collapse. it was the wintertime, who was sick on the bus stop?

this man show no signs of a stroke or heart attack, if you aren't look for it, you might not what you looking at.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs