442 - The Football (soccer) Forum

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...58 59 60 61 62 ...139 140 141 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#886New Post! Mar 15, 2017 @ 03:36:43
@Jennifer1984 Said

Naturally every team will use its best players when they are available but if they aren't, then others have to step up to the plate.

Another fascinating insight!

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#887New Post! Mar 15, 2017 @ 08:06:32
The poor behaviour exhibited by Man U players as they surrounded the ref after Ander Herrera was sent off is just one more example of a problem no one in world football seems interested in addressing. I can't think of any other sport where players surround the ump/ref and try to influence his decision like you get in football/soccer. It's well past time something was done. Personally I reckon only the captain should be allowed to interact with the ref. If anyone else does it should be a yellow card. Enough is enough.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#888New Post! Mar 16, 2017 @ 13:40:45
3 of the final 8 teams in the ECL are from Spain. No surprise there. It is however a bit of a surprise that the last EPL team standing is Leicester.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#889New Post! Mar 29, 2017 @ 16:11:51
News that VARs could be used in the EFL Cup as early as August, whilst they are set to be trialled in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Not before time.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino is apparently keen to use VARs during the 2018 World Cup in Russia. Better late than never.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#890New Post! Apr 02, 2017 @ 12:54:21
The Bhoys have wrapped up another title after hammering Hearts.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#891New Post! Apr 05, 2017 @ 18:43:24
@shadowen Said

To state the obvious Spurs could be in a bit of trouble if Harry Kane is out for any extended period of time. Earlier in the season when he was missing Spurs looked toothless up forward, as whilst they created a lot of opportunities they struggled to take many of them. The gap btw Harry Kane and the likes of Vincent Janssen has been uncomfortably large for Tottenham fans.

The obvious option to take with Kane missing is to simply replace him with Janssen. Whilst Janssen's finishing has been very ordinary he is capable nonetheless of holding the ball up and playing pretty well with his back to goal. So he could be used to help exploit the attacking talent of Alli and Son (sounds like a family business).

The other most likely option would be to play without an out and out forward and instead go with a more fluid setup whereby Eriksen would sit a little deeper and Alli and Son would alternate btw pushing up and running at the defence from a deeper position. Which one they go with could well depend on how much confidence Mauricio Pochettino has in Janssen.

Spurs record in matches Harry Kane has missed this season (by a quick check):

League fixtures

Middlesbrough 1 Spurs 2
Spurs 2 Man City 0
WBA 1 Spurs 1
AFC Bournemouth 0 Spurs 0
Spurs 1 Leicester C 1
Spurs 2 Southampton 1
Burnley 0 Spurs 2

FA Cup record

Spurs 2 Aston Villa 0
Spurs 4 Wycombe Wanderers 3

League Cup record

Spurs 5 Gillingham 0
Liverpool 2 Spurs 1

Champions League

CSKA Moscow 0 Spurs 1
Bayer Leverkeusen 0 Spurs 0

I'm pretty sure I've covered them all. So, that's 13 games missed of which 8 have been won, 4 drawn and 1 lost. Goals for: 23 Goals against: 9

Spurs are clearly not a one man team, then. I reckon that answers your question.

The only club native to North London go to Swansea this evening and I reckon they look good for a result, even without "Sir Henry Percy" in the team.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#892New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 03:56:36
Swansea City 1 Spurs 3

Played 14 won 9 drawn 4 lost 1 for 26 against 10

Harry who..?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#893New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 13:50:39
WBA 1 Spurs 1
Spurs 1 Leicester C 1

2 goals in three matches despite creating a bucket load of chances. Harry plays in those matches and they most likely win at least two of them. Add an extra 4 - 6 pts to Spurs total and the table would look very interesting. But that's how it goes sometimes. At least they still have the likes of Alli and Son.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#894New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 13:51:19
Very unlikely but would love to see The Saints finish above the zombie huns.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#895New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 17:35:52
@shadowen Said

WBA 1 Spurs 1
Spurs 1 Leicester C 1

2 goals in three matches despite creating a bucket load of chances. Harry plays in those matches and they most likely win at least two of them. Add an extra 4 - 6 pts to Spurs total and the table would look very interesting. But that's how it goes sometimes. At least they still have the likes of Alli and Son.

There is no guarantee that Harry Kane is going to score in any game. Your point is entirely speculative and therefore has no validity other than to make obvious your sheer hero worship.

At this time Kane isn't fit so he can't play. End of. What Pochettino has to do now is keep the team winning and in my opinion he's doing that very well.

I suspect Vincent Janssen doesn't tick the same personal boxes for you that Harry Hotspur appears to, but Janssen's not entirely the inadequate, two-left-footed mug you appear to think he is.

Comments By Spurs Fans On Vincent Janssen's Performance Against Swansea

Harry Kane is a good player. That's a given. When he's fit, he's a first pick. That's another given. Fair enough as far as that goes.

But he isn't the be all and end all of the Spurs revival. It's a team game. At least, it is in this country.

I personally value the team above the individual and take the view that Vincent Janssen's contribution is as important as anybody else's.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#896New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 22:56:04
@Jennifer1984 Said

There is no guarantee that Harry Kane is going to score in any game.

No s*** Sherlock. Did you actually watch any of those three draws? There were a host of really good chances that were butchered by Spurs. Now would Kane have taken say even one of the excellent chances created against say Bournemouth? Obviously we cant know for sure but his record suggests he probably would have...and clearly talk of Kane scoring in matches he didnt play in is speculative. So what.

Kane in the EPL this season
Played : 22
scored : 19

By the way, I have never said, nor even suggested, Spurs are a one man team. They have some real quality players (some of whom I have previously mentioned) and one of the best managers in the EPL. But nonetheless they are quite clearly a better team with him in it.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#897New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 23:00:32
@Jennifer1984 Said

...obvious your sheer hero worship.

I hero worship Kane?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#898New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 23:13:33
@Jennifer1984 Said

Janssen's not entirely the inadequate, two-left-footed mug you appear to think he is.

In relation to Jannsen I posted (before the Swansea game):

"Whilst Janssen's finishing has been very ordinary he is capable nonetheless of holding the ball up and playing pretty well with his back to goal. So he could be used to help exploit the attacking talent of Alli and Son"

So nice try but I never inferred he was a "two-left-footed mug". I stated that his finishing had been very ordinary at spurs and it has been. But i also said he is good at holding up the ball and bringing others like Alli and Son into play. Personally I think he is a good player. He has found it tough adjusting to the EPL but he is young and there is no doubting his work rate and his will to succeed. I still think he will be a real asset in the years to come. This season has been a tough initiation for him but he will learn from the experience and get better.

Note - yes he played well against Swansea but one game doesnt a season make. Personally I hope the Swansea game proves to be a turning point for him.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#899New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 23:15:27
@Jennifer1984 Said

But he isn't the be all and end all of the Spurs revival.

Never said, or even inferred that he was.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#900New Post! Apr 06, 2017 @ 23:16:29
@Jennifer1984 Said

It's a team game. At least, it is in this country.

Yes, I noticed that at the last world cup and euros
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...58 59 60 61 62 ...139 140 141 · >>

2 browsing (0 members - 2 guests)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs