Politics

Voter Turn Out or LACK there of ....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 02:29:59

Quote:
Over the last 40 years, voter turnout has been steadily declining in the established democracies.[1] This trend has been significant in the United States, Western Europe, Japan and Latin America. It has been a matter of concern and controversy among political scientists for several decades.

Francis Fukuyama has blamed the welfare state, arguing that the decrease in turnout has come shortly after the government became far more involved in people's lives. He argues in Trust: The Social Virtues and The Creation of Prosperity that the social capital essential to high voter turnouts is easily dissipated by government actions. However, on an international level those states with the most extensive social programs tend to be the ones with the highest turnouts.

Richard Sclove argues in Democracy and Technology that technological developments in society such as "automobilization," suburban living, and "an explosive proliferation of home entertainment devices" have contributed to a loss of community, which in turn has weakened participation in civic life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout#Trends_of_decreasing

I think both of these guys have a good point . then add huge distrust in the politicians along with a few other reasons and the math pretty much does it's self .
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 02:57:50
@white_swan53 Said

I think both of these guys have a good point . then add huge distrust in the politicians along with a few other reasons and the math pretty much does it's self .

Part of those "few other reasons" would be voter suppression.
Continuing to tighten the screws to make it harder and harder to vote for certain populations (less able, less mobile) - all in the name of "protecting democracy"
(the same game played with abortion in some states - don't make it illegal, just make it more difficult)

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 04:30:41
Quote:
In the modern era, these resources have been redirected to expensive media campaigns in which the potential voter is a passive participant.[79] During the same period, negative campaigning has become ubiquitous in the United States and elsewhere and has been shown to impact voter turnout.[80] Attack ads and smear campaigns give voters a negative impression of the entire political process. The evidence for this is mixed: elections involving highly unpopular incumbents generally have high turnout; some studies have found that mudslinging and character attacks reduce turnout, but that substantive attacks on a party's record can increase it.[81]

I'm thinking Clinton and Trump took this to a whole nother level

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 04:37:43
@mrmhead Said

Part of those "few other reasons" would be voter suppression.
Continuing to tighten the screws to make it harder and harder to vote for certain populations (less able, less mobile) - all in the name of "protecting democracy"
(the same game played with abortion in some states - don't make it illegal, just make it more difficult)

A while back I was reading about the state of Texas and what the government has been doing about making it so difficult for a woman to get to a clinic that back alley abortions have madea come back across the state.

That sucks that states are doing this with either voters or women , and there is no 'back alley voting booths ' .

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 04:50:59
Here is another good read , it's long and detailed but informative .

The US Census

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p20-577.pdf
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#6New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 04:12:16
@white_swan53 Said

Personally, I suspect the biggest problems are fatigue and work hours. The campaign process starts something like two years in advance of the election. That's kind of insane, and people will get fed up hearing about the whole arduous process way before election day hits. By the end of it, people just want the election to end, and a growing number of people end up not caring about who wins as long as the race ends.

The other issue is more pragmatic. To my knowledge, a general election for the president has never occurred on a federal holiday. It's up to the states whether or not to make Election Day a civic holiday, or barring that, to allow for people who work to be entitled to some payed time off in order to vote. This is not national, however, and as long as it isn't, it disadvantages large demographics of people.

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 04:46:18
@nooneinparticular Said

Personally, I suspect the biggest problems are fatigue and work hours. The campaign process starts something like two years in advance of the election. That's kind of insane, and people will get fed up hearing about the whole arduous process way before election day hits. By the end of it, people just want the election to end, and a growing number of people end up not caring about who wins as long as the race ends.

The other issue is more pragmatic. To my knowledge, a general election for the president has never occurred on a federal holiday. It's up to the states whether or not to make Election Day a civic holiday, or barring that, to allow for people who work to be entitled to some payed time off in order to vote. This is not national, however, and as long as it isn't, it disadvantages large demographics of people.

That's an idea that would probably work wonders for reminding people to vote, make election day a holiday . Of course it wouldn't work on every non voter . I'd bet that we would see a jump in the number of people voting in future elections.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs