News & Current Events

New Jersey passes bill forcing presidential candidates to release tax returns

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 05:17:56
Quote:
New Jersey lawmakers this week passed legislation that would force any presidential and vice-presidential candidates to disclose their federal tax returns in order to appear on the state's ballots starting in 2020, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.
The bill was approved in the Democratic-controlled state legislature along party lines and awaits a signature from Gov. Chris Christie, an ally of President Trump. Christie's office has not yet made an official statement on the legislation.
The bill was inspired by Trump, who refused to release his tax returns on the campaign trail and since entering office, breaking with years of election tradition.
If the bill is enacted, Electoral College voters wouldn't be able to cast a vote for any candidate who didn't disclose their tax returns.
State legislators across the country have started debating new measures that would require candidates running for president to publicly disclose their tax returns to qualify for the ballot.
New Mexico, Hawaii, Oregon and California are pursuing similar bills.

https://www.msn.com/en-us...-BByiEyX?ocid=spartandhp

Will this actually work ? Will the feds allow this ?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 14:19:13
Probably won't work.

In the USA laws protecting the privacy of one's taxes are actually pretty strong.

Sure, periodically a portion of someone's taxes are leaked by someone (maybe oneself), but even the horrible IRS takes the protection of one's tax filings very serious.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 17:33:39
@chaski Said

Probably won't work.

In the USA laws protecting the privacy of one's taxes are actually pretty strong.

Sure, periodically a portion of someone's taxes are leaked by someone (maybe oneself), but even the horrible IRS takes the protection of one's tax filings very serious.

States rights!!!!

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 21:58:17
@chaski Said

Probably won't work.

But the law doesn't demand they show their records nor does it give anyone the right to release them , it does say if they won't release their records they won't get any support/votes from that state.

When I read what I just typed , that's not good. the state would be for all intents and purposes be silencing their own voice .
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#5New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 00:21:35
I thought, (at least in the NM attempt) it was to add to the list of requirements to get on the ballot in that state.

they already have to do a bunch of other things to get on the ballot, nomination by a major party, number of signatures, it is a whole filing packet, which I believe requires a birth certificate for age and citizen requirements if necessary, which makes the drama over Obama, even more stupid.
That being said they can require it in the packet, I am not sure the filing packet is necessarily public records. Like the state secretary has to approve it, but I dont think they have to share it with the press. Privacy laws may be an issue.

If enough states do it, it will make the process official. but if it is just one, it may hurt the state.

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 01:39:09
@DiscordTiger Said

I thought, (at least in the NM attempt) it was to add to the list of requirements to get on the ballot in that state.

they already have to do a bunch of other things to get on the ballot, nomination by a major party, number of signatures, it is a whole filing packet, which I believe requires a birth certificate for age and citizen requirements if necessary, which makes the drama over Obama, even more stupid.
That being said they can require it in the packet, I am not sure the filing packet is necessarily public records. Like the state secretary has to approve it, but I dont think they have to share it with the press. Privacy laws may be an issue.

If enough states do it, it will make the process official. but if it is just one, it may hurt the state.

I never did buy into that whole stupid mess about Obama's birth certificate . I figured that something as easy to find as a persons location of birth is , that all the blather was just well blather .
I can't see it working if the records aren't released to the public . You know how we are , us public , we feel we are entitled to whatever it is that we want and we always want it yesterday and dammit no one has the right to take our right of entitlement away from us the public . ya know ?

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 01:41:24
Not to mention that getting enough states to agree on any one thing would be like pulling teeth .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs