Jobs & Careers

Why coal jobs aren't coming back, despite Trump's actions

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Mar 19, 2017 @ 15:46:03
Quote:

Despite Trump's best intentions and regulation-busting actions, experts don't believe they will be enough to save coal.
That's because coal has a fierce competitor in the form of natural gas. It's cheap, it's clean and there's a ton of it in the U.S. Plus, Trump himself supports expanded drilling of U.S. shale, the chief source of the boom in natural gas.
"The coal jobs aren't coming back," said James Van Nostrand, director of the Center for Energy and Sustainable Development at West Virginia University College of Law.
He called it "nonsense" to think lighter regulation will change that. The coal industry is being pounded by market forces. It's not regulation," he said.
The White House website calls out Obama's Climate Action Plan as a "harmful and unnecessary" policy Trump wants to eliminate.
Aimed at meeting America's commitments under the Paris agreement, the Clean Power Plan requires that by 2030 power plants cut their carbon emissions by 32%.
But CPP is being challenged in court and experts believe Trump may try to dismantle or choose not to enforce it.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/24/investing/trump-coal-epa-regulation/

Trump is willing to ignore clean water and breathable air for an industry that can't /won't come back due to competition from a cheaper cleaner more available source of energy , natural gas.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Mar 19, 2017 @ 16:29:40
I've read that in some oil fields they burn off natural gas because the profit margin isn't there to capture and transport it.

... they burn off methane at landfills.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Mar 19, 2017 @ 18:15:29
@mrmhead Said

I've read that in some oil fields they burn off natural gas because the profit margin isn't there to capture and transport it.

... they burn off methane at landfills.

my late hubby use to be a driller in the Texas oil fields for about a minute. But I never went to work with him and he never talked about work at home plus that was nearly 40 years ago , so I'm going to buy your story and agree .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs