News & Current Events

Federal Hiring Freeze Suspends Some Army Child Care Programs

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Feb 23, 2017 @ 08:43:00
Quote:
A federal civilian hiring freeze ordered by President Donald Trump has forced at least two Army bases to indefinitely suspend some child care programs.

Officials at Fort Knox, Kentucky, notified families Feb. 17 of the suspension to the on-base part-day child development center (CDC) programs, its hourly care program and the enrollment of new families into the CDC.

"Effective immediately, no new children will be enrolled in the CDC," states the letter, signed by Fort Knox garrison commander Col. Stephen Aiton. "Also, effective 27 February 2017, the CDC will no longer accommodate childcare for our hourly care and part day families until further notice."

The CDC's part-day programs include its part-day preschools. Many military families, including some CDC workers, rely on hourly care for child care during part-time jobs or school hours, or when the full-time day care program is full. One Army spouse at Fort Knox reported that the wait list for her 1-year-old is estimated through July.

"The closure is a result of staff shortage due to the federal hiring freeze," says the letter, signed by Wiesbaden garrison commander Col. Todd Fish.

Child care programs account for about half of the Army's $1.1 billion annual budget for family programs, Sgt. Maj. of the Army Daniel Dailey told senators at a hearing this month.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/02/21/federal-hiring-freeze-suspends-army-child-care-programs.html

Does it seem that the only people that 'profit' from anything military, are those who get the contracts and finance the politicians who award said contracts ? It isn't our troops , vets or their families who are the priority , or so it seems .
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#2New Post! Feb 23, 2017 @ 13:24:42
@white_swan53 Said

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/02/21/federal-hiring-freeze-suspends-army-child-care-programs.html

Does it seem that the only people that 'profit' from anything military, are those who get the contracts and finance the politicians who award said contracts ? It isn't our troops , vets or their families who are the priority , or so it seems .

Military industrial complex. Also known as wealthy-fare. At least one kind of it.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Feb 24, 2017 @ 20:53:40
How else is he going to pay for the additional 15,000 troops to round up and expel the illegal aliens?

There is also: "We will be substantially upgrading all of our military, all of our military. Offensive, defensive. Everything. Bigger and better and stronger than ever before. And hopefully we'll never have to use it. But nobody's going to mess with us, folks. Nobody," he said.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/24/politics/donald-trump-cpac-speech/index.html
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 25, 2017 @ 14:14:32
Are there no civilian child care facilities available..? Do the children of American service personnel HAVE to attend specially funded military care centres?

I take my little girl to a pre-school playgroup during the week and two of the children there are from families where the father is a serviceman who works in the RN Airbase at Culdrose. All the kids get on fine.

What's so special about army child care programmes..?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Feb 25, 2017 @ 14:22:12
@Jennifer1984 Said

Are there no civilian child care facilities available..? Do the children of American service personnel HAVE to attend specially funded military care centres?

I take my little girl to a pre-school playgroup during the week and two of the children there are from families where the father is a serviceman who works in the RN Airbase at Culdrose. All the kids get on fine.

What's so special about army child care programmes..?

I'd guess convenience, cost, availability, peace of mind ...

My wife was a gov't employee early on and we took our son to the "on-location" daycare for all those reasons.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 25, 2017 @ 15:28:38
@mrmhead Said

I'd guess convenience, cost, availability, peace of mind ...

My wife was a gov't employee early on and we took our son to the "on-location" daycare for all those reasons.

Perhaps I'm not getting a clear picture here. I'm guessing from what you say that the army child care centres are on-base, and service personnel tend to live in military accommodation also on-base. It that's the case, then I can see your point.

Here, service families tend to buy or rent property in the community. Even service married accommodation is usually outside the base. The children of service families grow up in the community.

Perhaps in your system it makes sense to send your kids to a dedicated military child care facility when they exist, but as appears to be now the case, if that rug gets pulled out from under your feet, you've got nowhere else to go.

The children shouldn't suffer and in my opinion, the military should be classifying child care as a priority. If they need to save money, save it from other areas.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#7New Post! Feb 26, 2017 @ 03:40:02
I live in a large metro area with an air base. To get off base and back on for work would take over an hour in the car. Where an on base daycare would be like 10 minutes.

Not all military live on base, but the housing there is cheaper and if you're renting, not a lot of benifit to pay more and deal with awful traffic.
I personally don't think the average enlisted get paid enough, so I can see where they wouldn't want to waste money on higher rent or more gas.

This really isn't the military making bad decisions and saying children are not a priority

This is straight Trump, being a f***ing dumbass.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 26, 2017 @ 07:07:20
@DiscordTiger Said

I live in a large metro area with an air base. To get off base and back on for work would take over an hour in the car. Where an on base daycare would be like 10 minutes.

Not all military live on base, but the housing there is cheaper and if you're renting, not a lot of benifit to pay more and deal with awful traffic.
I personally don't think the average enlisted get paid enough, so I can see where they wouldn't want to waste money on higher rent or more gas.

This really isn't the military making bad decisions and saying children are not a priority

This is straight Trump, being a f***ing dumbass.

I can't disagree with any of that, especially your last sentence... LOL.

When you put it in that perspective it really makes a lot of sense to have childcare on the base, especially for the children, and when you boil it all down, it's their welfare that matters above all else.

I guess we just do things on a somewhat smaller scale. Your airbases are vast in comparison to ours and it's quite easy for our service personnel to live in Helston or even Penzance and commute to Culdrose daily for work.

I hope something gets sorted out.

Not wishing to labour the issue with "us and you" comparisons (I have to have some point of reference I can relate to), but our service personnel can make representations directly to the command. A man puts in a formal request and he is seen at a special "Captain's Table" to put his grievance or other case directly to a senior officer who is then responsible for dealing with it. They don't always get the answer they want to hear, but at least they know the have been heard, and get a reply that explains the issue in more detail so they can understand the situation better.

If there is strong enough feeling about this (and in my opinion there should be) can your guys not make a representation directly to the Command..? Let them know that this is an issue that could affect morale. That usually gets the Command's attention.

But yeah... Trump is a frikkin dumbass.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#9New Post! Feb 26, 2017 @ 16:35:26
Our whole country is vast. It's not so much the air base. The part where people live is a small neighborhood compared to the rest of the city.

Your other question. No it's was an executive order, people down the chain of command can't over ride it, even if people complain. Only the court can and it's not really a constitutional issue.

It's also not just a military problem, the entire fed gov is under a hiring freeze. It is an example used because it's just easier to shame politicians that claim they want to help military and children.

I don't think 45 and his administration has any shame, so as usual, it's a trumpsterf*** like everything else he touches.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Feb 26, 2017 @ 16:54:31
in direct way, I think over years on military bases, you don't much this part of it.

over the years, military bases in America, and board, that these bases are attacked by terrorists and by our enemies.

is that wise to have daycare programs on military bases in general. are the kids that stay on these bases in general?
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 26, 2017 @ 18:17:37
@DiscordTiger Said

Our whole country is vast. It's not so much the air base. The part where people live is a small neighborhood compared to the rest of the city.

Your other question. No it's was an executive order, people down the chain of command can't over ride it, even if people complain. Only the court can and it's not really a constitutional issue.

It's also not just a military problem, the entire fed gov is under a hiring freeze. It is an example used because it's just easier to shame politicians that claim they want to help military and children.

I don't think 45 and his administration has any shame, so as usual, it's a trumpsterf*** like everything else he touches.

Sheesh.... that is just so screwed up. If Trump had an ounce of decency about him he'd reverse that order... but I suppose for him to have an ounce of decency he'd need to acquire about 27 grammes more decency than he already has.

Children are any countries most precious asset and considering he is supposed to be such a caring family man, you'd think he'd understand that.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! Feb 28, 2017 @ 06:44:18
Trump lays out hike in military spending
Quote:
The blueprint will increase defence spending by $54bn (£43bn) but seeks to recoup that sum through deep cuts elsewhere, including to foreign aid.

Speaking at the White House during a meeting with state governors on Monday morning, Mr Trump said: "We're going to do more with less and make the government lean and accountable."

Military spending has declined in recent years due to budgetary battles in Congress that led to a spending freeze on defence.

However, it is still not uncommon for Congress to approve procurement of tanks, aircraft and ships that the Pentagon says it doesn't even need.

Mr Trump's proposal would return the US closer to wartime spending.

Keeping both of his campaign promises - boosting the military and protecting welfare - will put the president in a tough bind.

Early reports are that the Environmental Protection Agency is facing sharp cuts, but its total annual budget is just over $8bn - a drop in the bucket.

The State Department has also been singled out as a source for the needed funds, and its $50bn annually (including $22bn in direct aid) makes it a fatter target.

The lion's share of humanitarian assistance goes to rebuilding efforts in Afghanistan and Aids treatment in Sub-Saharan Africa, however, which will be difficult to touch. Also unlikely to get the axe is military support, dominated by $3.1bn annually to Israel.

There's a reason the Trump administration announced the military budget number before revealing where the money will come from. Spending is easy; cutting is hard.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39108194

It seems that Trump can't retain any memory of what he said 'before', so what he says 'next' just doesn't make much sense . IMO
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs