Third Hand Smoking.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#46New Post! Jan 06, 2017 @ 17:18:29
@mrmhead Said

It's a 7 year old link. Not surprised it doesn't work.

I guess I should have looked at that first, lol oops
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#47New Post! Jan 06, 2017 @ 17:19:45
in late 60's, in summertime, sometimes on sundays, my father like take the family on sunday outings. we usually go to a state part to have a picnic or swimming. that when my parents paid the lifeguard not watching me in the pool or the lake.

one sunday outing, we on the highway, coming home. when we watching this van that smoking coming out of the van. the windows were closing, too. my parents were concern, my siblings and i thought it was funny. my father got close to the lane next to the van.

my father rolled down his driving window, we had a.c. on. my father wave at the van to warned about the smoke, my father was concern that van was on fire. so then the van's window on my father's side came down.

my father and us were surprise, it was " cheek & chong ", my father screamed to them about the smoke. cheek just smiled at us, and offer my father a joint that in his mouth. of course, we all understood why there was smoke in the van.

my father just laughed, use the hand signal " ok " to cheek & chong, and cheek rolled up his van's window, and they drove off. my father gave us lecture for half hour, that was the reason why you don't take drugs.

this was not a true story - but parents - when the last time, that you talk to your children about drugs and sex.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#48New Post! Jan 06, 2017 @ 19:30:16
@SophieS Said

well I've got to smoke somewhere and I usually desperate for a cigarette when I get outside. its not illegal for me to smoke and its my choice.

True enough.

Ironically, way back in the day it was illegal to smoke in public in the States. Shortly after Prohibition, not only was smoking legal in all 48 States and sales had tripled. But this was back before they started putting in all those chemicals and s***, so it was actually 'healthier' than it is now.

@Electric_Banana Said

I don't know, man.

People today are not nearly as hard as they used to be; a puff of smoke from six yards away knocking them over and sending them off to the hospital.

The average person would be fine, obviously. People with weakened immune systems or pre-existing respiratory problems are more at risk than others, but that kinda goes without saying.

@adrinachrome Said

Or maybe not because of smokers at all, maybe just from bud?

I mean bro, think about all that s*** in your pipe when you clean it. Now think about what's happening from weed in your lungs.

How about you dont complain about 2nd hand cigarette smoke and we wont complain about 2nd hand weed smoke.

Interestingly enough, ever since I've started smoking weed, I haven't suffered from a severe asthma attack as opposed to before when I couldn't go a single year without at least two days of constant coughing and difficulty breathing. Pre-weed, I had to use two different inhalers twice a day just so I could take an actual breath without sounding like a bullfrog. I'd be stuck in bed, gasping for air for a week at times just because the seasons changed. I had to spend my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas in the hospital in the same year, with tubes going through my nose and down my throat.

Since then, nothing. I'll get some raspiness in my voice from time to time and I might need a puff from a inhaler from time to time, but I have definitely noticed a difference. And while I do cough up some gunk or whatever from time to time in my phlegm, but my nose runs a lot anyways and I'm used to coughing up crap from when I would get sick. Only difference is that I'm actually getting stuff out now and it's not constant.

It's not really complaining so much as just trying to inform a youth (man, I sound old. ) about smoking and the harm it can do. Because while it is her choice 100%, it's also her health.

@adrinachrome Said

What do you suggest making it illegal? Thats garbage.

Of course not. More just suggesting that she be mindful about where she lights up. Because I used to be a teenager too not long ago. I know what designates a 'smoking area' in most high schools (covered section near back/side of school, usually close to parking lot but not right out in the open, beside portable buildings, etc...) and the smoking spots for some reason usually happen to be right near an intake vent or a window to a classroom or some s***.

A letter went around to all the students at my high school one year warning the students that smoking on-grounds would result in a three-day suspension, no exception. Apparently where one of the smoking pits was right next to the window to one of the cooking classes, right above one of the teaching kitchens and someone went to toss their butt on the ground, but instead it hit the window (the cooking windows were mounted in the middle of the frame, so instead of them lifting up like regular windows, they rotated inward at the bottom) and dropped down right onto someone's plate that was cooling on the table. The cooking teacher freaked out about the incident and actually tried to chase down the kids who did it (and she's not really an aggressive woman). They didn't mention her chasing the kids, but I knew one of them and he said that he was never taking her class again because she scared the s*** out of them.

People still smoked, of course. Just not near the cooking class anymore.

@mrmhead Said

Since I quit, once in awhile, sitting in traffic I could smell someone smoking in another car (warm weather, windows open).

Not that it really bothered me, it was just an interesting observation.

My dad mentioned that to me also. He quit smoking for a few months, but certain stressful factors in his life caused him to go back to smoking. But he said that after he quit, certain things smelt a lot better, but he could pick out a cigarette a mile away.

@newcarscent7 Said

Am I missing something here? When I click on the link it takes me to MSN's cover page for health, I don't see anything about smoking...

Old link. Probably doesn't exist anymore.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#49New Post! Jan 06, 2017 @ 22:57:46
@psycoskunk Said

My dad mentioned that to me also. He quit smoking for a few months, but certain stressful factors in his life caused him to go back to smoking. But he said that after he quit, certain things smelt a lot better, but he could pick out a cigarette a mile away.

Stop me if I've told this story before ...

About a week or so after I quit smoking there was a big snowstorm and I was stuck in traffic - the bridge about 3 miles ahead was closed, and there was no exit before it...
While we were stopped on the highway (would come to be 5 hours to get home) I was looking around and could see a few other people smoking - I was so close to getting out to bum a smoke from someone
... My sister also happened to live up a hill and maybe 1/4 mile from where I was stuck ... that option was also going through my mind Haha!!
Of course, I probably would have looked like Jack Nicholson in The Shinning (at the end) if I had gone for the walk.

... but I stuck it out.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#50New Post! Jan 07, 2017 @ 01:55:53
@mrmhead Said

Stop me if I've told this story before ...

About a week or so after I quit smoking there was a big snowstorm and I was stuck in traffic - the bridge about 3 miles ahead was closed, and there was no exit before it...
While we were stopped on the highway (would come to be 5 hours to get home) I was looking around and could see a few other people smoking - I was so close to getting out to bum a smoke from someone
... My sister also happened to live up a hill and maybe 1/4 mile from where I was stuck ... that option was also going through my mind Haha!!
Of course, I probably would have looked like Jack Nicholson in The Shinning (at the end) if I had gone for the walk.

... but I stuck it out.

Damn! Congrats at holding out. Especially only after a few weeks. I heard that's usually when the craving was the strongest, but after that it's smooth sailing. It must've been really tough, especially in a crappy situation like that.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#51New Post! Jan 07, 2017 @ 13:58:21
@psycoskunk Said

Damn! Congrats at holding out. Especially only after a few weeks. I heard that's usually when the craving was the strongest, but after that it's smooth sailing. It must've been really tough, especially in a crappy situation like that.

Thanks
I think I had an easier time than others - I don't think I was physically addicted - it was just a mental/habitual thing.
I didn't have any physical withdraw symptoms. But I sure did suck a lot of cough drops as a substitute
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#52New Post! Feb 02, 2017 @ 20:05:15
I say get rid of all the vehicles and their toxic emissions that we 'ALL' breathe in daily before people start believing that 3rd hand smoking actually affects you... LMAO!!! Please peeps, use some common sense and don't follow the scientists like little gullible sheep...

Winnipeg, Canada
#53New Post! Feb 02, 2017 @ 20:08:50
@Mankysparrow Said

smokers are the lepers of the modern world ,

LOL! Are you serious? Or on some higher than thou drug?
Mankysparrow On April 26, 2017

London, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Feb 04, 2017 @ 12:10:36
@rosexthorn Said

LOL! Are you serious? Or on some higher than thou drug?

higher than thou drug 🖕

Winnipeg, Canada
#55New Post! Feb 19, 2017 @ 19:10:02
@psycoskunk Said

Even if you think there's only other smokers around, the wind tends to carry smoke and smells through the air a fair ways. And even if you can only see other smokers around, there's still the chance that someone who doesn't smoke is getting exposed to it second-handedly.

I agree totally with the 'maybe' someone is inhaling your smoke on the streets if you smoke in your house..

Now, turn off your ignition because I can tell you that the exhaust from your car is getting into my house and into the lungs of all the people living here...

Now, let's be fair on all pollutants and toxins... Stop the selling of cigarettes and there will be no more smoking right?? Won't happen. Why? $$$$$$$$$ business and governments get real huge revenues.

Stop making vehicles and there will be no more exhaust pollution right? Won't happen.. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ business and bigger revenues.

Stop making drugs and there will be no more over doses right? Won't happen. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ business and government get even bigger revenues..

Legalize pot? Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ business and the revenues will be exorbitant...

WOW!! If we could only pick and choose which 'vice' or 'vices' should be stopped wouldn't it be a healthy world... But, which ones???

Liquor, industrial polluting, driving, smoking, pot, prescribed meds, street drugs, foods etc...... Which ones???????
Funky-Footed Skunk

#56New Post! Feb 19, 2017 @ 20:22:04
@rosexthorn Said
WOW!! If we could only pick and choose which 'vice' or 'vices' should be stopped wouldn't it be a healthy world... But, which ones???

Liquor, industrial polluting, driving, smoking, pot, prescribed meds, street drugs, foods etc...... Which ones???????

The industrial polluting, the excessive emissions from cars and the unnecessary chemicals added to commercial tobacco products. Realistically, we have the means to make clean cars (Tesla, hydrogen cell cars, etc), it's just as you said, about the money. If car companies could figure out a way to charge the crap out of cleaner cars, there's no doubt they would've made the transition already.

Same with tobacco. It doesn't need formaldehyde, lead, arsenic, pig's blood, etc... None of that s*** is released from the plant itself when it's smoked, so why go through all the trouble of purposely trying to poison people with something that would normally have little effect on the body. Native tribes smoked tobacco for centuries without having to have a hole cut into their larynx just to breathe, but now that crap's happening all the time.

Industrial polluting shouldn't exist at all. The fact that the human species has been around for 1000s of years and we still haven't found an effective way to deal with our garbage, other that just tossing it in the ocean or burying it in landfills absolutely sickens me. Couple in the corporations who legit just dump their toxic runoff into local streams and ecosystems because it's more profitable than disposing of it properly and having some sort of integrity, like their companies allegedly try to stand for, and it's a wonder that all of the lakes and streams in North America aren't glowing lime green and producing sentient, walking fish mutants.

There's a lot of s*** that's wrong with the world right now that needs to be fixed and can easily be fixed. It's just like you said though... too much money.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs