Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#31New Post! Feb 10, 2017 @ 18:52:08
@LuckyCharms Said

If I understand the history correctly, the girl scouts were founded a year later in response to the boy scouts. But for girls. The separate organizations were never and have never been in competition or comparison.

Sometimes ya gotta yank a chain though.

Are they still separate organizations? I think the Guides/Scouts in Canada are part of the same organization now, but you don't really see too much Boy Scout stuff happening, at least in Vancouver. It's mainly Girl Guides here, which is fine because they make awesome cookies.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#32New Post! Feb 10, 2017 @ 19:02:38
@psycoskunk Said

Are they still separate organizations? I think the Guides/Scouts in Canada are part of the same organization now, but you don't really see too much Boy Scout stuff happening, at least in Vancouver. It's mainly Girl Guides here, which is fine because they make awesome cookies.

boy scout and girl scout associations are separate like cub scouts and brownies ( younger association of girl scouts ).
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#33New Post! Feb 10, 2017 @ 19:06:37
@twilitezone911 Said

boy scout and girl scout associations are separate like cub scouts and brownies ( younger association of girl scouts ).

Interesting. I always thought they were all owned by some larger group that operated each one differently depending on age and gender. I learned something new today.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#34New Post! Feb 10, 2017 @ 19:13:46
@psycoskunk Said

Interesting. I always thought they were all owned by some larger group that operated each one differently depending on age and gender. I learned something new today.

when I was a kid, I was a cub scout. my older brother was a boy scout. my two sisters were girl scouts.

I went with my sisters around the neighborhood and sell girl cookies. my sisters used my red radio flyer wagon to put their cookies in.

my brother teased me, called me a " brownie ".
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Feb 11, 2017 @ 04:36:51
The question of allowing transgenders to join a youth group for one specific gender is pretty much one of social evolution.

Regardless of what may have constituted "the norm" in times gone by, the times, as Mr Dylan once said, they are a -changin'. Society doesn't stand still. It adjusts. It adapts, it alters. That's all that's happening here. And in my opinion, that's a good thing.

If society is becoming more inclusive, and that message is being passed on to young people by positive action then I say "Good-oh".

I was once a Brownie. I enjoyed it. It was fun and there was a feeling of belonging. Being a Brownie was to embrace girlhood as something special. I never moved up to the Girl Guides (the equivalent of your Girl Scouts) because I was involved in my ballet classes and being a member of St John's Ambulance Brigade. But had I done so, I think I would have been happy to welcome transgenders.

A group is, by it's very nature, intended to be inclusive. That's the whole point of having a "group"..!! Excluding transgenders only serves to support exclusion and discrimination against people who - I believe - have a valid claim to recognition of their true gender.

If society is to evolve in, what I believe to be, the right way then inclusion and acceptance must be a part of that. Not only will it be beneficial to the (for want of a better word) trannies themselves, but it will also help to familiarise girls and young women with those who were born in the wrong body, at an age when adult opinions and attitudes are starting to form.

Accepting transgenders into the Girl Scouts is a big step down the road to taking society where we want it to go.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs