College Life

Torn Between 2

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#1New Post! Dec 13, 2016 @ 22:48:26
thAs of Right now, I am torn between two Universities that are near me. One is a private University called Lynn University. Lynn University is an amazing school that I believe is sponsored by apple. Undergrad students receive a iPad Pro that they get to keep. Some say it is free, but the campus tour guide I had said it was included in tuition. It is a small University, but everyone seems to get along just fine. They do things differently with the learning material. Many teachers have their own books that they use to instruct their classes and the books are free. Tuition is high over there. Since I am a veteran, I can utilize the yellow ribbon scholarship since they have it available. With my educational benefits, financial aid and that scholarship, I can attend.

The second is Florida Atlantic University. A State University that costs way less than Lynn. I can afford to attend without the scholarship. They don't even have it available. It is a much larger University. A few people I work with and get along with attend this University and recommend it. It is possible, that if I go to Lynn in the Fall of Next year, I will be attending as a Junior, if they accept all of my credits. It is also possible both of the Universities will follow the same route as Broward and possibly not take my military credits. An academic counselor told me that they will work on taking all of my current college credits if I apply (which I did).

The way I see it right now, I can get my associates before the 2017 fall semester. I can either save a year in college finances or have to spend a full 4 year term. So far, Lynn is the only school who are telling me they are willing to help me every way they can.

These two Universities are in my top 2 choices. The other three have altered and/or been deleted.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#2New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 06:29:33
Private Universities are the way to go, I went to one and was able to transfer way more of my units and finished in 2 1/2 years. In my case it was a lot more expensive that state school (50k per year), but with Yellow Ribbon - I actually made money. State Universities will always be more rigid with what credits will transfer, there isn't much leniency. Not sure why you want an associates, it's kind of a pointless degree. I'd just go to community college over the summers for what you can (I took financial accounting, english 101, and public speaking over one summer at community college, and the next summer I took an art history class, astronomy, and statistics).
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#3New Post! Dec 14, 2016 @ 17:12:28
I'm currently in a community college now. The private University I plan on attending is roughly $38,000 if I live off campus and roughly $44,000 if I choose to live on campus. At least that is what they explained to me. With the yellow ribbon scholarship and my other benefits, I should be able to afford all of it. For me an associates is a start. If they allow me to walk and take it before I go to another university, then I won't turn that opportunity down.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#4New Post! Dec 15, 2016 @ 02:55:20
I feel the same way about associate degrees as I do about double majors.

Mostly useless once you get out of school, but if you have to take the credits anyway without adding an extra semester it probably won't hurt.

As to private vs public. I don't think either matters as much in the end as long as the program is accredited, so go where you feel comfortable and can afford.
For-profit school are mostly bad, and should be avoided. (University of Phoenix, trump university and others).
It's questionable if you will learn enough (as opposed to buying the degree) and people my look down on it as questionable on a resume.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#5New Post! Dec 15, 2016 @ 02:58:55
I'm not sure I emphasized questionable enough.

I get the draw based on their advertising,(UoP) but general consensus is remove it from your resume if you can because it only hurts an application.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Dec 15, 2016 @ 04:30:54
@DiscordTiger Said

I get the draw based on their advertising,(UoP) but general consensus is remove it from your resume if you can because it only hurts an application.

But those red socks are so cool!

(wasn't that them?)
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#7New Post! Dec 15, 2016 @ 15:56:24
@DiscordTiger Said

I personally wouldn't go to Phoenix, but since I'm also former military I have a LOT of friends who did their whole degree programs through for profit Universities and make 6 figure incomes and finished a bachelors/masters in 4 years. They are actually a great idea if you want to go into the government sector, because they only care that you have a degree. My husband has a music degree from full sail and works IT security for the government. No computer science, information technology, etc. I think it's absurd, but it is done all the time. They only care about that piece of paper.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#8New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 02:07:28
I just found out that the school I currently attend my screw me over (green weenie style). Depending on where I transfer to, all of my credits may not transfer over. I learned this from a Marine Corps Recruiter. He also recommended that I attend a university that has the yellow ribbon scholarship.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 02:23:13
@Cpat92 Said

thAs of Right now, I am torn between two Universities that are near me. One is a private University called Lynn University. Lynn University is an amazing school that I believe is sponsored by apple. Undergrad students receive a iPad Pro that they get to keep. Some say it is free, but the campus tour guide I had said it was included in tuition. It is a small University, but everyone seems to get along just fine. They do things differently with the learning material. Many teachers have their own books that they use to instruct their classes and the books are free. Tuition is high over there. Since I am a veteran, I can utilize the yellow ribbon scholarship since they have it available. With my educational benefits, financial aid and that scholarship, I can attend.

The second is Florida Atlantic University. A State University that costs way less than Lynn. I can afford to attend without the scholarship. They don't even have it available. It is a much larger University. A few people I work with and get along with attend this University and recommend it. It is possible, that if I go to Lynn in the Fall of Next year, I will be attending as a Junior, if they accept all of my credits. It is also possible both of the Universities will follow the same route as Broward and possibly not take my military credits. An academic counselor told me that they will work on taking all of my current college credits if I apply (which I did).

The way I see it right now, I can get my associates before the 2017 fall semester. I can either save a year in college finances or have to spend a full 4 year term. So far, Lynn is the only school who are telling me they are willing to help me every way they can.

These two Universities are in my top 2 choices. The other three have altered and/or been deleted.

FAU.

Forget the associate degree.

Go there and buckle down. Get the best grades possible... NO MATTER WHAT GET THE BEST GRADES POSSIBLE....your grades in under graduate will follow you!

After 2 years, consider, transferring to UF or FSU.

In fact, if in doubt go to Broward College or Palm Beach State College...get your Florida residency and GOOD GRADES... you will then get into UF or FSU...done deal.

If you want PM me... I'll give you my phone number, we can talk. I will walk you through your options. My son graduated FSU...one of my best friends graduated UF...FAU is also a good school...if you are motivated you have some very big options in FL.

Lynn University does have a higher "regional college ranking".

There are other options also.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! Dec 27, 2016 @ 02:30:17
@magically_delicious Said

I personally wouldn't go to Phoenix, but since I'm also former military I have a LOT of friends who did their whole degree programs through for profit Universities and make 6 figure incomes and finished a bachelors/masters in 4 years. They are actually a great idea if you want to go into the government sector, because they only care that you have a degree. My husband has a music degree from full sail and works IT security for the government. No computer science, information technology, etc. I think it's absurd, but it is done all the time. They only care about that piece of paper.

Yes, I've run across a number of places in the private sector too where the subject of a degree didn't matter - just that you had a 4 yr. I don't know how they ranked a For Profit university - they weren't as popular back then.

I also know a number of people in a job/career that had nothing to do with their major.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#11New Post! Jan 10, 2017 @ 16:10:16
So Lynn University(the private university) accepted me for the Fall Semester. Still waiting to hear from Florida Atlantic University. I am pretty happy about this. My admissions counselor called me immediately as soon as she found out.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs