Forums:
Business & Money

Electricity Power Transmission

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#1New Post! Nov 07, 2016 @ 02:58:04
Kenya and Ethiopia will builda a High Voltage Direct Current power line to share electricty. It will"promote sustainable and renewable power generation." I don't understand how that works. How does power transmissiom make energy "renewable?"

https://www.siemens.com/press/en/pressrelease/?press=/en/pressrelease/2015/energymanagement/pr2015100050emen.htm&content[]=EM
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Nov 07, 2016 @ 13:02:56
@Ghyda Said

Kenya and Ethiopia will builda a High Voltage Direct Current power line to share electricty. It will"promote sustainable and renewable power generation." I don't understand how that works. How does power transmissiom make energy "renewable?"

https://www.siemens.com/press/en/pressrelease/?press=/en/pressrelease/2015/energymanagement/pr2015100050emen.htm&content[]=EM

The renewable source (hydroelectricity) is being shared. And the DC transmission is more efficient that AC transmission.

So sharing/spreading/transmitting it doesn't "make it renewable", it helps sustain (offset cost) and promote the use of renewable energy. Otherwise the receiver would need to build more (coal-fired?) generators that are not renewable.

Anaheim, California
#3New Post! Nov 07, 2016 @ 15:13:48
@mrmhead Said

The renewable source (hydroelectricity) is being shared. And the DC transmission is more efficient that AC transmission.

So sharing/spreading/transmitting it doesn't "make it renewable", it helps sustain (offset cost) and promote the use of renewable energy. Otherwise the receiver would need to build more (coal-fired?) generators that are not renewable.

So, Ethiopia must have some kind of renewable energy, like hydroelectric, wind, photovoltaic or geothermal.

According to Wikipedia, Ethiopia generates electricity from all of the above, but mostly they use hydroelectric and wind.

Then under biofuel is says, "The majority of Ethiopia's energy needs are met by biofuels ... for cooking," which means they have been cutting down the trees. They don't have an estimate of the amount energy from biofuels. I bet they must get fifty or a hundred times the energy from other sources.

The trees will grow back. That makes it renewable?

As of right now, they do export power. It seems like the perfect conservationist experiment, except maybe for the trees.

I wonder about the banks and the loans. Someday, will we read about Ethiopian refinancing, like maybe Greece.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Nov 07, 2016 @ 17:01:32
@Ghyda Said

So, Ethiopia must have some kind of renewable energy, like hydroelectric, wind, photovoltaic or geothermal.

According to Wikipedia, Ethiopia generates electricity from all of the above, but mostly they use hydroelectric and wind.

Then under biofuel is says, "The majority of Ethiopia's energy needs are met by biofuels ... for cooking," which means they have been cutting down the trees. They don't have an estimate of the amount energy from biofuels. I bet they must get fifty or a hundred times the energy from other sources.

The trees will grow back. That makes it renewable?

As of right now, they do export power. It seems like the perfect conservationist experiment, except maybe for the trees.

I wonder about the banks and the loans. Someday, will we read about Ethiopian refinancing, like maybe Greece.

It said right in the first paragraph:
"The roughly 1,000 kilometers-long direct current transmission line, known as the Ethiopia-Kenya Power Systems Interconnection Project, will transmit "The roughly 1,000 kilometers-long direct current transmission line, known as the Ethiopia-Kenya Power Systems Interconnection Project, will transmit environmentally friendly hydroelectricity from Ethiopia to Kenya. "

Trees can be considered renewable if they are managed correctly.

Anaheim, California
#5New Post! Nov 07, 2016 @ 17:58:02
@mrmhead Said

Trees can be considered renewable if they are managed correctly.

Seems like they want to do that.

I wonder how they will convince people to use less wood. Maybe they expect people to eventually cook with electricity or maybe some kind of non-fossil gas.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs