Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#46New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 17:00:14
@Conflict Said

Yes, it does affect me actually. This is but one sign of what I fear is a return to infancy. My friend doesn't like to be in a room with many people. He admitted as much to me when we talked about his time with the Official School of Languages when he was doing Spanish. He's lived in my neck of the woods for nearly twenty years now and he's never been in the job market.

He works from home, doing research for a price, downloading music and selling it to his friends. For him the outside world is a place that he doesn't know how to fully interact with. He grows mushrooms in his office, using legit stuff, but doesn't like talking about it over the phone or by email.

To me, the toy helicopter is a reminder that what he can control, what he can make go high of his own effort and not be hindered by anyone else, is a sign of the child that wants only what he can make do what he wants.

As such, I can't really talk to him about more adult matters, like conviction and cause, unless it happens within the confines of his home and happens behind the scenes. In his eyes, the world of people is something he can't interact with because he simply doesn't like it.

For whatever bad experiences I have had, I can't share that with him, so, unfortunately, we have grown apart and I am afraid our friendship may be lost to the annals of time.

You are overthinking this. I think it affects you because you want it to. The question shouldn't be about your friend and his toy helicopter. It should be why are you letting something so simple bother you so much.
Conflict On about 6 hours ago

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#47New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 18:36:20
All I can say is I don't know the way of thinking that makes people buy toys, however sophisticated for themselves at such a late age, and I don't want to know it because I don't have the experience to sympathize with it.

I mean, this man worked in a factory, making doors, he helped put submarines together, he worked with the first air tube operated computers. You would expect a man of his age to want to keep more adult mementos of vehicles, having worked with them for much of his life. There is a time and an age for everything and sixty is not one to buy a toy for oneself.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#48New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 19:29:50
@Conflict Said

There is a time and an age for everything and sixty is not one to buy a toy for oneself.

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/Submit
noun
1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#49New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 19:31:17
@Conflict Said

All I can say is I don't know the way of thinking that makes people buy toys, however sophisticated for themselves at such a late age, and I don't want to know it because I don't have the experience to sympathize with it.

I mean, this man worked in a factory, making doors, he helped put submarines together, he worked with the first air tube operated computers. You would expect a man of his age to want to keep more adult mementos of vehicles, having worked with them for much of his life. There is a time and an age for everything and sixty is not one to buy a toy for oneself.

Let Him Be. It was his decision, not yours.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#50New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 20:29:51
@Cpat92 Said

Let Him Be. It was his decision, not yours.

Oh, I will let him be. I can interact with people like this to some degree, but because they are more spontaneous and more introverted, they will tend to show apathy towards people like me that strive for an objective in the outside world and indifference if I pursue the issue any further. The best I can do is leave him alone. He and I can't accomplish much together.

Now, what would you say if there were twenty one registered English teachers at the Official School of Languages, two for Spanish for Spanish, four for German and two for Italian and Russian?
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#51New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 20:32:11
Either majority of the students wants to learn English and/or they need more registered Teachers for the other Languages in the school. At least even it out.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#52New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 20:48:24
@Cpat92 Said

Either majority of the students wants to learn English and/or they need more registered Teachers for the other Languages in the school. At least even it out.

I see. Well, the situation is difficult at the moment. There are five levels to all languages except Catalan, which has six. Only English has tutors to cover them all. I'm doing Spanish level three. Only that level, two and five are available to me. Catalan has levels four, two and six. There are not enough tutors to teach the missing levels due to cuts in staff.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#53New Post! Apr 05, 2014 @ 20:52:12
@Conflict Said

I can interact with people like this to some degree, but because they are more spontaneous and more introverted.

I genrally find its extroverts who are more spontaneous.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#54New Post! Apr 06, 2014 @ 03:36:09
@Hypnotica Said

I genrally find its extroverts who are more spontaneous.

Usually, but not necessarily. I'm very much on the introverted end of the spectrum, and the thing that shocked me most during my psych testing for my degree program was that I scored very high on spontaneity. But then when I thought about it, it really didn't. I like to think I've planned things. I even make plans. But I don't follow plans. I impulsively go where I will and do as I please, to the extent that it doesn't involve a high degree of risk. I still don't like risk.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#55New Post! Apr 07, 2014 @ 02:24:18
Sometimes, they just want what they didn't have (couldn't have,
couldn't afford, didn't have time for this when they were younger -- as a kid or as an adult).

I know a woman who raised so many children she didn't know what to do. Times were hard for the whole family. Ya know, stuff like that did and does happen!! Once the children were grown, she started
collecting dolls - ---- representing I'm sure all the dolls she never had as a child, and all the ones she couldn't afford to buy for her daughters. No one ever really 'questioned' this -- cuz it is/was
pretty easy to see/know the way [if you knew her and her family].
They just accepted it, and were happy for her. She didn't 'play' with them, they were a symbol. She didn't obsess about them. And then of course family and friends started giving her ones as gifts,
and so it was. No harm, no fowl.

@Conflict Said

paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#56New Post! Apr 07, 2014 @ 19:15:29
@alk1975 Said

Usually, but not necessarily. I'm very much on the introverted end of the spectrum, and the thing that shocked me most during my psych testing for my degree program was that I scored very high on spontaneity. But then when I thought about it, it really didn't. I like to think I've planned things. I even make plans. But I don't follow plans. I impulsively go where I will and do as I please, to the extent that it doesn't involve a high degree of risk. I still don't like risk.

Same here. Quite introverted most of the time, and I'm impulsive as f***.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#57New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 16:24:41
@paramour Said

Same here. Quite introverted most of the time, and I'm impulsive as f***.

Are you trying to tell us that when you think of doing something, you do it in the same instinctual way you act on your sex drive?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs