Religion & Philosophy

What

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#1New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:26:53
What’s with Protestants and Catholics and their hate of knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Xv4mV1BIs

In the early years, the Catholics hierarchy was against the reading of scriptures. In that day, to question any dogma was often met with violence. It took Martin Luther to end Catholic monopoly of biblical interpretation yet it can be argued that he did so for political, monetary and not religious reasons. Germany was losing too much wealth to Rome and he used his theses against indulgences to split from the Catholic Church.

Since that day, the Spanish inquisition, and Catholic/Protestant policies have pushes for only the biblical interpretations that have been sanctioned by the various Church hierarchies to be accepted. IOW, they are to control your theosis or apotheosis.

Being a Gnostic Christian, I of course ignore such commands. If you are one of faith then you cannot. You must kowtow to whatever sect you belong to and believe as they believe.

Most Catholics and Protestants I talk to tell me that we are not to judge God. Strange as this condition excludes them of course, as they have judged their God to be good. The rest of us are fine if we agree and since we cannot judge God on our own, we are not allowed to judge anything but good. Judging God as evil is not allowed.

To judge, one needs knowledge first and foremost. Eden shows that God did not want Adam and Eve to have knowledge of good and evil. The early Catholic Church followed suit by burning competing gospels and killing members of other Christian sects that did not convert. Protestant sects and their hierarchies, by insisting that theosis is under their guidance only, also discourage questioning and judging and acquiring knowledge.

“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”
Martin Luther

What do the churches fear with a more intelligent population?
Are they afraid that with knowledge, people will stop believing in talking animals and other fantasies, miracles and magic and realize that their faith has no clothes?

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLqIgQNfZOE3gAgaYWFQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBncGdyMzQ0BHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZAM-?p=hans+cristian+anderson+emperor%27s+new+clothes&fr=yfp-t-715&ei=utf-8&fr2=piv-web&n=21&tnr=20

Are so called religious folk following religions and Gods or are they following tradition and culture as this following indicates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYigmGyN2RQ&feature=youtu.be

Is that why the various Abrahamic cults are not reconciling their doctrinal differences and not seeking knowledge and unification?

A & E were punished for seeking knowledge and becoming as Gods.
The Church punishes any that seek knowledge that does not match Church dogma. True or not.

Just how stupid does the Church want their adherents? Do they want slaves the same way their God does?

As a believer, just how big of a blinder are you willing to wear to follow your Church and God?

How much B S are you willing to eat from your Church hierarchy to maintain the delusion that you believe in an invisible miracle working absentee super God?

Regards
DL
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:41:24
@GreatestIam2 Said

What’s with Protestants and Catholics and their hate of knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Xv4mV1BIs

In the early years, the Catholics hierarchy was against the reading of scriptures. In that day, to question any dogma was often met with violence. It took Martin Luther to end Catholic monopoly of biblical interpretation yet it can be argued that he did so for political, monetary and not religious reasons. Germany was losing too much wealth to Rome and he used his theses against indulgences to split from the Catholic Church.

Since that day, the Spanish inquisition, and Catholic/Protestant policies have pushes for only the biblical interpretations that have been sanctioned by the various Church hierarchies to be accepted. IOW, they are to control your theosis or apotheosis.

Being a Gnostic Christian, I of course ignore such commands. If you are one of faith then you cannot. You must kowtow to whatever sect you belong to and believe as they believe.

Most Catholics and Protestants I talk to tell me that we are not to judge God. Strange as this condition excludes them of course, as they have judged their God to be good. The rest of us are fine if we agree and since we cannot judge God on our own, we are not allowed to judge anything but good. Judging God as evil is not allowed.

To judge, one needs knowledge first and foremost. Eden shows that God did not want Adam and Eve to have knowledge of good and evil. The early Catholic Church followed suit by burning competing gospels and killing members of other Christian sects that did not convert. Protestant sects and their hierarchies, by insisting that theosis is under their guidance only, also discourage questioning and judging and acquiring knowledge.

“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”
Martin Luther

What do the churches fear with a more intelligent population?
Are they afraid that with knowledge, people will stop believing in talking animals and other fantasies, miracles and magic and realize that their faith has no clothes?

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A2KLqIgQNfZOE3gAgaYWFQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBncGdyMzQ0BHNlYwNzZWFyY2gEdnRpZAM-?p=hans+cristian+anderson+emperor%27s+new+clothes&fr=yfp-t-715&ei=utf-8&fr2=piv-web&n=21&tnr=20

Are so called religious folk following religions and Gods or are they following tradition and culture as this following indicates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYigmGyN2RQ&feature=youtu.be

Is that why the various Abrahamic cults are not reconciling their doctrinal differences and not seeking knowledge and unification?

A & E were punished for seeking knowledge and becoming as Gods.
The Church punishes any that seek knowledge that does not match Church dogma. True or not.

Just how stupid does the Church want their adherents? Do they want slaves the same way their God does?

As a believer, just how big of a blinder are you willing to wear to follow your Church and God?

How much B S are you willing to eat from your Church hierarchy to maintain the delusion that you believe in an invisible miracle working absentee super God?

Regards
DL

Most protestants and Catholics hate knowledge, especially biblical knowledge, because the bible proves their teachings to be false.

However for people of faith, true faith, accurate knowledge is a marvellous thing and the more we learn, the more it bolsters our faith.

God does not want anyone to wear blinders (or blinkers as we call them over here). His word encourages us to "make sure of all things, hold fast to what is fine". It encourages us to make sure for ourselves that we we are learning really is true. That is why the faith of people like me is so strong and unshakable, because like the house in Jesus illustration it is built on the solid rock of fact, not on the shifting sands of psuedo knowledge.

Yes, God's word actually encourages us to think carefully for ourselves to ensure that we make the right choices, and not to take the word of any man, whether religionist or scientist.

Only the word of God can truly be trusted, because only He knows everything anyway.
alysedai On November 09, 2020

Newport News, Virginia
#3New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:41:57
I really can't stand it when people generalize. There are blind idiots in every religion, not just in the Christian faith. You could say the same for Muslim people, or any other religion.

Just because you "identify" with a particular relgious group doesn't mean that you listen to every single rule that the church sets forth. There are plenty of Catholics that use birth control even though the church frowns on it. There are Catholics who eat meat on Friday even thought he church frowns on it.

Do you mean to be inflammatory, or what?

Most people who consider themselves religious are not as you describe. Sure, we adhere to a faith, but most of us don't follow blindly. We reason with our religion, we question, we discover. Just because someone says that you should behave a certain way doesn't mean that you will. Same goes for religion. Just because they tell me I should do something doesn't mean that I will. Faith and religion are personal. No one can tell me what to believe or what not to believe. The ESTABLISHMENT of religion is a means for me to express my faith, not the end all be all of what I believe.

Banned

#4New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 16:54:24
@alysedai Said

I really can't stand it when people generalize. There are blind idiots in every religion, not just in the Christian faith. You could say the same for Muslim people, or any other religion.

Just because you "identify" with a particular relgious group doesn't mean that you listen to every single rule that the church sets forth. There are plenty of Catholics that use birth control even though the church frowns on it. There are Catholics who eat meat on Friday even thought he church frowns on it.

Most people who consider themselves religious are not as you describe. Sure, we adhere to a faith, but most of us don't follow blindly. We reason with our religion, we question, we discover. Just because someone says that you should behave a certain way doesn't mean that you will. Same goes for religion. Just because they tell me I should do something doesn't mean that I will. Faith and religion are personal. No one can tell me what to believe or what not to believe. The ESTABLISHMENT of religion is a means for me to express my faith, not the end all be all of what I believe.

To clam to be part of a religion and yet knowingly not to stick to the tenets of that religion is, in my view anyway, the worst kind of hypocrisy. It is the kind of hypocrisy that made me turn to atheism in my teens. Unfortunately I found there is just as much hypocrisy amongst Atheists.

The pure truth is that if you don't live like a Christian, or at least make every effort to, you aren't a Christian. It is a lot more than the simple label that many treat it as.

If you do not believe everything your church teaches you should not be so hypocritical as to be a part of it.
alysedai On November 09, 2020

Newport News, Virginia
#5New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 17:04:59
@MadCornishBiker Said

To clam to be part of a religion and yet knowingly not to stick to the tenets of that religion is, in my view anyway, the worst kind of hypocrisy. It is the kind of hypocrisy that made me turn to atheism in my teens. Unfortunately I found there is just as much hypocrisy amongst Atheists.

The pure truth is that if you don't live like a Christian, or at least make every effort to, you aren't a Christian. It is a lot more than the simple label that many treat it as.

If you do not believe everything your church teaches you should not be so hypocritical as to be a part of it.

Why? Because some guy a long time ago interpreted the Bible and said that this is what it teaches? What makes that person more qualified to interpret the scripture than I am? I'm sorry, but that's a bunch of bulls***. To say that you cannot be a part of a faith community unless you subscribe to every tenant of that religion is ridiculous. Religious institutions are a man-made establishment. Men are wrong. Even the Pharisees of old were wrong. So the people who claimed to be Jewish back then but didn't agree wholeheartedly with the Pharisees were hypocrites too? Ugh. *rolls eyes*
I live my life as a Christian. I believe in being good to other people. I follow Jesus in my heart. I believe that he wants us to love God and love others. THAT is what is important.

Banned

#6New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 17:17:27
@alysedai Said

Why? Because some guy a long time ago interpreted the Bible and said that this is what it teaches? What makes that person more qualified to interpret the scripture than I am? I'm sorry, but that's a bunch of bulls***. To say that you cannot be a part of a faith community unless you subscribe to every tenant of that religion is ridiculous. Religious institutions are a man-made establishment. Men are wrong. Even the Pharisees of old were wrong. So the people who claimed to be Jewish back then but didn't agree wholeheartedly with the Pharisees were hypocrites too? Ugh. *rolls eyes*
I live my life as a Christian. I believe in being good to other people. I follow Jesus in my heart. I believe that he wants us to love God and love others. THAT is what is important.

What is important, vital in fact, is precisely what Jesus said is important when he said "You must worship the Father with spirit and truth because He is looking for such like ones to worship Him."

According to that, only worship according to truth is valid, and to worship according to the truth is only possible if you know what the truth is in the first place.

Do you think that a God who makes such a demand would leave us without a source of such truth? No, of course He would not, and that truth is in the bible. As Jesus said prayer to his Father "Your word is truth". Where do we find God's word? In the bible as transmitted to mankind by His son.

The bible does not need anyone to interpret it, it is more than capable of doing that for itself, and the key is simple. If your understanding of scripture brings in contradictions then you have something wrong. God's word cannot and does not contradict itself. Correct your understanding and the contradiction disappears.

I tend to liken it to a house of cards. Twist one card and the whole house collapses. Twist one scripture and your understanding collapses with it.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#7New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:07:52
DL: In some points, I agree, everyone is righteous in their own eyes. What bothers me is, since you are human, and obviously a sinner, you are not judging from a state of perfection.

Reality is, if it were not for the Lord being with all of us, we would not be able to say anything, or do anything, regarding spiritual matters.

But according to 1 Corinthians 2:15, we can and do judge everything, not after the appearance -- but according to the spirit, which is righteous in judgement.

Who died and made you God? God commands His believers to judge Him as we do, and who are you to judge them -UNrighteously?; --- when it is is them (who by His grace and as believers) who also obey Him and fulfill His will?

How well do you know the Lord, or how much do you know about the Lord and religion that would make others look to you as a credible source of information? Have you ever had a miracle happen to you or someone you love dearly? Has your life (or theirs) ever been saved by a blink of an eye, or by a minute fraction of an inch? While one can do things that will hopefully lengthen or shorten their life span according to decisions they make, it all comes to a halt according to His will, His time!

What about the birth of a baby? Certainly you don't believe that the stork brings 'em, or that it's something in the water? Dem lil sperm are not floating around in no water, trust me on that.

The church does not want 'stupid' adherents, nor do they (nor God) want slaves. Believers are not slaves, they are leading their own lives, according to their beliefs and values, just as you are.

Is the Lord a liar? Is Paula fool? He also speaks of the wisdom of God to them that were perfect (1 Corinthians 2:6).

You, by calling God, and Paul, a liar are judging - the very same thing of which you accuse believers.

You and your beliefs may very well be aligned with Darwin, in which you betray yourself by your words -- professing yourself to be a sinner in the flesh.

Though the flesh of believers is no less sinful then yours, for sure, they do not happen to be walking in theirs.

Believers know, according to 1 John 5:18: "That everyone who has been born of God does not continue to sin, but the one born of God guards himself, and the evil one does not touch him"

Believers do not berate and insult your 'right' to accept or not accept, to even try to understand or not - these things. Why do you then, judge them so harshly? Either you are not born again, or worse yet, having quenched the Spirit in sin, you fulfill the proverb of the dog that returns to his vomit, and the pig to wallowing in the mire.

True, there are people who think they are born again that truly are not. Every cause, every institution has supporters/believers who have different levels of passion to that which they commit. But that does not negate the fact that those who are 'truly' born, those who 'truly' believe, those who 'truly' commit - know it and embrace it.

Therefore your uncertainty (or anyone elses) is revelatory. How could it not be? It is written: "By this we know that we dwell in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit" (1 John 4:13).

And: "But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His" (Romans 8:9).

There is no condemnation in not knowing, just as there should be none 'for' knowing. It is much easier to be all puffed up with your belief that believers are stupid, wear blinders and are slaves. What business do you have judging others, judging believers so harshly, when it is clear you know NOT whereof for which you speak? You, nor other nonBelievers are not sitting at the throne (or on the throne) of God, except as a usurper, and therefore that makes nonblievers just as much as a follower (like sheep or cows to the slaughter) as they purport believers to be.

Yup, that would make those who question, and judge ---
those who judge the believers then become no less then
that which they are rallying against: hyprocrites, liars,
and false prophets.

You quoted Martin Luther: “Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

That itself is in judgement. If it is 'okay' to be for something, it is 'okay' to be agin' it, no? You do not seem to recognize or know that believers judge -- as they have been judged -- by God.

"Judgment begins at the house of God," not ends there.
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#8New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 20:51:39
@MadCornishBiker Said

like the house in Jesus illustration it is built on the solid rock of fact, not on the shifting sands of psuedo knowledge.

jgfdfyfkhgljgfh
chaski On about 11 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 20:53:05
@aquine Said

jgfdfyfkhgljgfh

Wow!!!!! That is hands down the smartest thing you have ever posted.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#10New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 20:58:34
@chaski Said

Wow!!!!! That is hands down the smartest thing you have ever posted.

lol, what? What'd did E say?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#11New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 20:58:54
@DuLu Said

lol, what? What'd did E say?

j/k
chaski On about 11 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 21:25:17
He wrote, "jgfdfyfkhgljgfh"

I think it translates to "you are rebuked"

Psychedelic_Elephant On February 28, 2012

Bible Belt,
#13New Post! Jan 20, 2012 @ 21:32:07
tl;dr.

I did however skim through some of what you said. Your main Idea was that a lot of religious and faithful people don't like knowledge.

Well I'd like to first off clarify that I myself am agnostic. But your mistaken.

I let that good old Astrophysicist Neil Tyson tell you.

Now, I'll finish reading your post and put my foot in my mouth because I might be mistaken. However this video is highly relevant.

Ottawa, Canada
#14New Post! Jan 22, 2012 @ 01:11:12
@MadCornishBiker Said

Only the word of God can truly be trusted, because only He knows everything anyway.

Faith. A firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

I am pleased that you think that a firm in something without proof is strong.

It would shame any thinking man but hey-----enjoy your imaginary friend.

You have faith in basically nothing.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#15New Post! Jan 22, 2012 @ 01:16:23
@alysedai Said

Like it or not, when you accept a religion, you have to take the good with the bad.

If you are a literalist and anyone who believes in Jesus has to be, then you will always be associated with what other literalist Christians do.

You may try to call yourself a half a Christian if you like but it will not help.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are Religionists, including myself.
They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Belief in fantasy is evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClUCw4&feature=PlayList&p=5123864A5243470E&index=0&playnext=1

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI&feature=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBv8tv62yGM

Promoting death to Gays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_BVzw&feature=related

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
Fight them when you can. It is your duty to your fellow man.

Regards
DL
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs